Today, I brought a Marshall Valvestate 8100 100v amp head. Its my first one, brought it as we need heads for gigging and this one was within my price range (and I got a decent sound from it).

I'm a bit concerned though. My mate plugged it into a practise amp, using the line out socket, so he could try it out (without my permission!). He managed to get a sound, but I am worried that this may have damaged the head. There's no evidence that it is damaged, but can you plug a head into a practise amp using the line-out option? What is the line-out option even for? I don't have a cab, this head was brought just so my band can gig (using cabs that are part of a kit share).

Sorry for the ultra-noob question!
Last edited by Bollock at Aug 17, 2010,
Really stupid idea, the sound quality will suffer and though the amp will handle running without a load it's not a good habit to get into. Running the line out into another amp's input is going mto screw your tone completely.

You could always wire a lead to the speaker inside your practice amp, so you can use it like a mini-cab for home practice...
Just buy a $5 speaker cable, cut one end off, and solder the two internal wires to the two tabs on the speaker.
Jesus shit, your friend is f*cking moron and you need to bitch-slap him in his retarded face.

The line-out operates at line-levels, which are much higher than instrument level (what the input on an amp is supposed to handle). Luckily, solid state heads like the VS aren't as bothered with impedence-mismatch as tube heads. Your amp should be fine.

What you need to do now anyway is find your friend and kick him in the dick.
What do you think about the valvestate 8100 BTW? I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good (been thinking bout buying one if I can find a bargain).
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
What do you think about the valvestate 8100 BTW? I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good (been thinking bout buying one if I can find a bargain).

I like it a lot. Its got two channels, clean and distorted. The clean channel isn't much to write home about but the dirty channel can get a really good, classic rock or bluesy sound. On the master, it has an effects knob which can get you a really decent metal tone if that's what you're into. For the money and the range of tones you can get I'd say its a very good deal, apparently they last for ages too. You should be able to pick one up for around 150, but if you can pay higher than that you can probably get a better head.

I'll post a pic in a bit.
Last edited by Bollock at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by Bollock
Okay. Next question, what short of cab should I be looking at to work well with a Marshall Valvestate 8100, 100w? I have a low budget.

I've been looking at this: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MSHMG412A

That cab is bad. Crappy speakers, worse construction, bit small for a 4x12.

You should look into stuff with proper speakers, like Eminence around 70€-100€ or Celestion around 100€. Can't really recommend any specific models, because I haven't tried a VS with different speakers. But luckily, you can go to the nearest store and just plug into different cabs to see what you like best.
Generally, you'll find a lot of cabs with Celestion G12T-75s (Marshall cabs, mostly) or Vintage 30s (most other companies). Either should do.

Btw, it's better to get a good 2x12" with nice speakers than a shoddy 4x12" with bad speakers.

Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

I've played a VS8100 combo for two years, so I guess I can say a word or two.
Clean is meh, crunch is usable, high gain br00tz is basically white noise and it's not possible to distinguish notes. If you're into '90s punk tone and want an amp that can do it for cheap, the crunch channel on the VS is for you. It can get slightly more classic tones as well, but it's difficult to dial in. The biggest problem with the VS (and later models, the AVT and AVT-X) is that they're very hard to EQ in band-situations. You EQ a nice tone and it doesn't cut through the mix, you EQ something that cuts and the tone becomes harsh and unpleasant. It's very very difficult to use in band situations, though a proper cab should help.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman

You should look into stuff with proper speakers, like Eminence around 70€-100€ or Celestion around 100€. Can't really recommend any specific models, because I haven't tried a VS with different speakers. But luckily, you can go to the nearest store and just plug into different cabs to see what you like best.
Generally, you'll find a lot of cabs with Celestion G12T-75s (Marshall cabs, mostly) or Vintage 30s (most other companies). Either should do.

Btw, it's better to get a good 2x12" with nice speakers than a shoddy 4x12" with bad speakers.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall-Haze-MHZ112B~ID~11554.asp how about that? It comes with a Celestion G12T-66 Marquee. £144,
Quote by Bollock
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall-Haze-MHZ112B~ID~11554.asp how about that? It comes with a Celestion G12T-66 Marquee. £144,

Not particularly nice, either.

Listen, i can see you're going for the 'marshall stack' look, but most of the low-end stuff is crap - if you want quality you can't worry about the name.

Personally, when I see a guitarist using a brand of cab different to the head, i think 'there's a guy who's taken the time to make a serious choice rather than just thinking about image'

This is what I'd go for, even with shipping to the USA it's only $270:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Of course, you could find a used Marshall 1936 or 1922 if you search around a bit, maybe a battered 1960.
Quote by TheQuailman

I've played a VS8100 combo for two years, so I guess I can say a word or two.
Clean is meh, crunch is usable, high gain br00tz is basically white noise and it's not possible to distinguish notes. If you're into '90s punk tone and want an amp that can do it for cheap, the crunch channel on the VS is for you. It can get slightly more classic tones as well, but it's difficult to dial in. The biggest problem with the VS (and later models, the AVT and AVT-X) is that they're very hard to EQ in band-situations. You EQ a nice tone and it doesn't cut through the mix, you EQ something that cuts and the tone becomes harsh and unpleasant. It's very very difficult to use in band situations, though a proper cab should help.

Didn't Suffocation use this amp to record the album Pierced from Within? Think I've read that on some forums.
Quote by Bollock

No idea. The Haze series gets a lot of hate on these forums, but I can't tell if that's justified. You're aware that this is a 1x12" though, right? Not that it matters much, but your amp is much broader and the combination will look a bit goofy.

Look at stuff like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-1922-2X12-150-16-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-/260649037527?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL#ht_596wt_1137
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-1922-2x12-Stereo-Speaker-Cabinet-/320577194503?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL#ht_1105wt_1137

Marshall 1922 cabs are easy to find in the UK and should work fine. The sellers don't mention what speakers are in the cabs, maybe e-mail them about that. Should be either V30 or G12T75 for the first one, not sure about the second one because it's so old. Should be good speakers anyway.

EDIT: +1 to the Harley Benton cab.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 17, 2010,
^Oi! That was for ts!

Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Didn't Suffocation use this amp to record the album Pierced from Within? Think I've read that on some forums.

Dunno, but what I wrote is just my personal impression anyway. If you like the amp, you like it. I just personally find it difficult to like it.