hi I am building a guitar in tech my tech teacher is telling me to use 1inch plywood but I don't think that sounds right just wondering if anyone know if it is suitable and if theirs any suggestions about good cheep wood for guitar building.

cheers
fender strat
ibanez grg170dx
antoria 60's strat
encore lp
crafter fsg-250e
Well, plywood is often used for cheap guitars, and it's a suitable cheap material. It's not very good, though, and good woods, like mahogany and alder, are a bit costly. If you have acces to agathis, then go with that - it's not very expensive and it suits guitars pretty well.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
If it's good plywood it will work, but you'll want to glue two sheets together to make a 2" block. 1" just isn't thick enough for it to look decent, imo. make sure it's some good birch plywood or something that looks solid. Depending on what you make, it's gonna take alot of sanding and filling... ok, it'll take that no matter what you make, nevermind...

It's gonna be more work, but it will work out just fine so long as you're dedicated to making it look good (and painting it a solid color).
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Your teacher is a moron if he is telling you to build using plywood. And the fact he is telling you to use 1" thick proves how clueless he is. I don't know of any production guitars that thin. The neck heel is usually about an inch thick itself, so I'd like to know how he was planning on getting the neck pocket deep enough.

Some good cheap choices would be
Alder
Basswood
Poplar

Other choices,
Mahogany
Korina
Walnut
Swamp Ash

You need the blank to be at least 1-3/4" thick
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 17, 2010,
^ Not being experienced with guitars, a moron does not make.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Matt420740
Your teacher is a moron if he is telling you to build using plywood. And the fact he is telling you to use 1" thick proves how clueless he is. I don't know of any production guitars that thin. The neck heel is usually about an inch thick itself, so I'd like to know how he was planning on getting the neck pocket deep enough.

Some good cheap choices would be
Alder
Basswood
Poplar

Other choices,
Mahogany
Korina
Walnut
Swamp Ash

You need the blank to be at least 1-3/4" thick

haha i thought so to cheers mate will take a look into it getting some alder
fender strat
ibanez grg170dx
antoria 60's strat
encore lp
crafter fsg-250e
Ash is extremely cheap if you look in the right places.
Poplar + pine are cheap, and can usually be found at lowes/home depot's/etc.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Ash is extremely cheap if you look in the right places.
Poplar + pine are cheap, and can usually be found at lowes/home depot's/etc.

cheers but the unfortunate thing is I'm in Scotland haha

cheers anyway
fender strat
ibanez grg170dx
antoria 60's strat
encore lp
crafter fsg-250e
Quote by Tone Deaf
^ Not being experienced with guitars, a moron does not make.

Very true. But his teacher obviously doesn't know how to build a proper guitar if he is recommending 1" thick plywood.

And if doesn't know how to build a guitar, but yet he is telling this guy how, then to me that makes him a moron.

His teacher should have at least looked into it, done some research on proper guitar woods, and dimensions. Instead he just tells the guy to get some 1" thick plywood. Teacher fail. Student win for doing some simple research.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 17, 2010,
Perhaps, but you can use 1" plywood to build a guitar, and a nice one at that, if you just glue two sheets together. I mean, if it's all he has access to. It'll work fine.
-Edgar Degas