I just need to know what the best/cheapest way of amplifying a classical guitar would be.

I was looking into the seymour duncan woody sc pickups, and was wondering whether these would be okay for a classical guitar or is it only for acoustics.

Thanks

Ian
You will need a piezoelectric pickup if you're looking to pick up nylon strings. Honestly, the cheapest way would be to use a microphone near the soundhole. Is that an option?
this^

but why would you want to amplify a classical when there are perfectly good electrics out there?
use your head man
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
but why would you want to amplify a classical when there are perfectly good electrics out there?
use your head man

??
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will probably mic it up then, unless piezoelectric pickups are cheap... which theyre probably not :/

Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
this^

use your head man

Because I'm classically trained and am performing classical music, so using one of my electrics isn't a viable option. Thanks though

Ian
I have seen some of the world's best classical guitar players, including Segovia and Parkening, in places like the Academy of Music in Philadelphia, and they did not use amplification. Of course, Segovia would glare at anyone who dared to even cough during his performances.

Now if you're playing in a restaurant or something like that, I can understand that you would need amplification.
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3
yeah ive just had several requests to perform at restaurants and garden parties so amplification would be needed
One cheap option would be something like this. Not necessarily that particular model, but something along those lines.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
ah that looks pretty good, how would they sound generally? I am very tempted by the price
Quote by Xn00bX
I just need to know what the best/cheapest way of amplifying a classical guitar would be.

Thanks

Ian

Best does not equal cheapest.
So which do you want?

In general condenser mics give best sound, piezos the worst.
Piezos best for performance in environments where high ambient noise exists and for higher live amplification levels and if physical robustness and convenience matter to you more than sound.

My recommendation isn't cheap: Audio Technica mics: either Pro 70 or ATM15A or ATM 831, which are all lavaliere mics that can be externally mounted on short gooseneck, from a removable clip that can be attached to the soundhole. That way you won't need to modify or damage your guitar.

Use a AER compact classic pro amp or equivalent.

I've used this set up (not always the same amp) for 20 years of professional classical guitar gigging, from street work to weddings to concerts and orchestra pit work.

IMO Piezos just don't deliver tonally.

Do your research and don't waste time with cheap gear . Remember always buying high quality means you only buy once as it will last you for decades. People can hear the difference too, usually you will steal the credit, they'll attribute it to you as being a good player.
Last edited by R.Christie at Aug 20, 2010,