I really want a Vox AC30 because I love that chimy OD tone, but I play a lot of heavier stuff too like Chiodos, Isles & Glaciers, Muse, etc.

Would I be able to get high gain tones that sound good out of this amp? I don't mind getting a distortion pedal, I just want to know it will sound good.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I really wouldn't recommend an AC30 for those bands. Chiodos use Dual Rectifiers and Muse use Diezels. The AC30 is a great amp but not right for those bands.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I really wouldn't recommend an AC30 for those bands. Chiodos use Dual Rectifiers and Muse use Diezels. The AC30 is a great amp but not right for those bands.

I have to disagree. From what I understand, the AC30 is actually pretty well suited for ripping lead and even fairly heavy overdrive. Rory Gallagher and Brian May ripped some pretty bad-ass tones from those things with some treble boosters, and with a tube screamer they're can get quite heavy. Also, from what I gather, they take pedals really well, so using a distortion pedal for the br0074lz with one should be all OK.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
If its not a top priority I think you could get away with it. A couple fuzzes and ODs would make it perfectly fine. Its not gonna be super tight, or defined though due to powertube saturation. (That's at ear-shattering volumes of course.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Oh yeah they can get pretty gainy, but he's after Dual Rec and Diezel VH tones. For the price of an AC30 he can get something with nice cleans and modern distortion
in my experience not all that well. i didnt like alot of pedals through mine either. i had a keeley bd-2 that i sold because it didnt mesh well with the ac30.

maybe an orange ad30?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Oh yeah they can get pretty gainy, but he's after Dual Rec and Diezel VH tones. For the price of an AC30 he can get something with nice cleans and modern distortion
True. It just depends on what his priority is. If you absolutely want the cleans, go AC30. If you absolutely want the gain, go Mesa or something.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Yeah, do agree that while for the AC30 tone there's no other, for the high gain only there are loads of better-suited options.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by food1010
True. It just depends on what his priority is. If you absolutely want the cleans, go AC30. If you absolutely want the gain, go Mesa or something.

Agreed. TS I don't want to discourage you but what is more important the chimey AC30 cleans or Modern distortion tones? A dual rectifier has a very good clean channel and will nail the high gain without pedals
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 17, 2010,
Could always look into the Randall MTS

Could get a few modules such as the AC30, and a Mesa and I think some mod guys do a Diezel one.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well you can get a great amount of gain out of a AC30. My AC30CC1 with the channels bridged and an OD pushing it gets me some pretty nice and powerful mid-gain tones. You could pull off maybe something along the lines of Zeppelin or Boston amounts of gain out of it if you can crank it up in any way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.