I'm the proud owner of an Ibanez RG7321FM. It's pickups are pretty crappy. Much like every other lowend-ish Ibanez with suck pickups.

I AM going to switch out to a DiMarzio D-Sonic 7 bridge and a Breed neck 7. My mind is set on this matter.

My first question is this: Will replacing the electronics (Pots, switch, etc...) with good ones in this guitar have any noticeably positive effect on tone? Will it positively effect anything? I assume the stock ones are not so great. Thoughts?

It is my ultimate goal to get a Mesa half stack with a 4x12 cab and some kind of Rectifier head.

The cab is gonna be something like $500-600
The head is gonna be friggin expensive at >$1000

My second question is this: What if I got the Mesa cabinet and a much less expensive Peavey Valvking to hold me over until I get enough money for the Mesa? Is the Valveking a suitable place holder? Or am I better off just saving strait for the Mesa head?

Sorry for making another gear advice thread, but this has been on my mind of late.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
IMO it isn't worth replacing the other electronics unless you're having problems (scratchy pots, loose switch, etc.). I've done pickup swaps in cheaper guitars and that alone made worlds of difference (through the proper amps, of course).

Save straight for the Mesa head. You'll just be burning through money if you buy a Valveking, and then sell it at a loss in order to fund the Mesa down the line. I hope you're looking used though, I've seen Mesa 4x12s in the $400-450 range and have seen heads in the sub-$1000 range (mostly the Single and some Dual Rectos, not sure what you're looking for). Don't settle - get what you want.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by DrNick
IMO it isn't worth replacing the other electronics unless you're having problems (scratchy pots, loose switch, etc.). I've done pickup swaps in cheaper guitars and that alone made worlds of difference (through the proper amps, of course).

Save straight for the Mesa head. You'll just be burning through money if you buy a Valveking, and then sell it at a loss in order to fund the Mesa down the line. I hope you're looking used though, I've seen Mesa 4x12s in the $400-450 range and have seen heads in the sub-$1000 range (mostly the Rectos, not sure what you're looking for). Don't settle - get what you want.

My tone pot is totally whacked. It was scratchy in the beginning, but then it broke loose down in the guitar to where the pot turns with the knob . But the knobs, in general, feel rather cheap to my hands. Fragile if you will.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by The Buttmonkey
My tone pot is totally whacked. It was scratchy in the beginning, but then it broke loose down in the guitar to where the pot turns with the knob . But the knobs, in general, feel rather cheap to my hands. Fragile if you will.

If the pot turns with the knob it just needs to be tightened. Pull off the knob and tighten the nut around the shaft.
Since your swapping the pups I say go ahead and replace them. You should be able to get good quality pots, and a good cap for under $15.00 total. It might not make much of a tonal difference, but it won't hurt to replace them.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 17, 2010,
The knobs are only the things on the tops of the pots and can be replaced for something with a different feel. If it's loose inside the guitar, there's a bolt/washer that needs tightening. Some people say that scratchy pots can be cleaned out but honestly, at that point, I just shell out the couple of bucks for a new one.
Axe-FX Standard
Well if all you are running is a Ibanez Rg7321, why would you get a great amp....and not a great guitar first....and btw seriously check out other amps.....Mesa is kinda like Gibson or fender....alot of what you are paying for is the brand.
Well, the knobs don't feel cheap, but the turning motion feels cheap. See what I'm saying? I like the knobs, they're the right color.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Well if all you are running is a Ibanez Rg7321, why would you get a great amp....and not a great guitar first....and btw seriously check out other amps.....Mesa is kinda like Gibson or fender....alot of what you are paying for is the brand.

Is there a point to this? I ran a Schecter Omen 6 into a VHT, a 6505, an Orange and a Krank.

Quote by The Buttmonkey
Well, the knobs don't feel cheap, but the turning motion feels cheap. See what I'm saying? I like the knobs, they're the right color.

Gotcha. Might as well just pay the few bucks to swap the pots while you're at it then.
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Aug 17, 2010,
I got the 7 because it's supposedly a good guitar to mod. It's Ibanez and it fits my hands well. Plus I don't have to deal with tremolos giving me crap.

Mesa is kinda like Gibson or fender....alot of what you are paying for is the brand.

I kinda figured that. What do you recommend then?
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Just want to chime in with my two cents - as I said earlier, definitely make sure you look at the used market. I was able to get my 2x12 Mesa cab a while back, in mint condition, for under $400. Their cabs in general are well built and sound great. I don't personally like the Recto tone for my needs but you really can't come close to it with other amps. If you really want to stay on the cheap end, you could get a Single Recto head for about $700-800.

You gotta pay to play but if this gear gets you the tone you're looking for then by all means go for it.
Axe-FX Standard
You should be able to pick up a cab in the $400-500 range - Don't limit yourself to only Mesa though, if you can find a Mills Acoustics, Emperor, Diezel, Bogner, etc. for a similar price, definitely go with that.

You can find a 2 channel Recto for ~$800 quite easily - there's a Tremoverb on Harmony Central right now for $860.

Quote by Pg.inc_music
Mesa is kinda like Gibson or fender....alot of what you are paying for is the brand.

New maybe, but for the price you can pick up a 2 Channel Recto for now days, there's not really much better you can get. Those 2 channels SLAY. The 3 channels, not so much.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 17, 2010,
John Petrucci uses Mesa stacks, and he has a tone that people would kill to get.

But I guess I should experiment more, hell, I haven't even played a Mesa, I just assume they're good.

I'll try to play one before I buy tho.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by The Buttmonkey
John Petrucci uses Mesa stacks, and he has a tone that people would kill to get.

Well you're probably better off looking at Mark series amps rather than Recto's (unless its a Train Of Though tone you want) Most of DT's albums were recorded primarily with Marks, except TOT, some of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, and some of Octavarium.
Quote by The Buttmonkey

But I guess I should experiment more, hell, I haven't even played a Mesa, I just assume they're good.

I'll try to play one before I buy tho.

You should really try out amps before posting in this thread, bro, just saying.

What sounds good to others might not sound good to you.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Lol, with Mesa you're not 'paying for the name.' You are paying for a very expensive amp that sounds very good. However, most would not even consider buying one new. At their used prices though, they are more than worth it.

But aside Mesa, might wanna look at some JCMs, Orange, Vox AC, even Splawn if you can find one used. All of those cover different areas better/differently, so it will depend on what kind of music you play.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Pg.inc_music

wat

A great amp will make much more difference tonally. If he's happy with the way his guitar plays there's no reason to get another guitar right now. And Mesa's are built with quality parts in the USA by real people. You're paying for that, not the name. Used they're great values.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Well if all you are running is a Ibanez Rg7321, why would you get a great amp....and not a great guitar first....

Because that would be dumb. Amp is 70% of your tone.

Amazing Guitar + Shitty Amp = Shitty Tone
Shitty Guitar + Great Amp = Great Tone
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Pg.inc_music

Ignorant comment is ignorant.

7321 is a damn fine guitar. Anybody who says otherwise is blaming bad playing on a guitar that doesn't cost a 10.

I'd play one of those any day with a pickup change. Plus you can mod them to hell and back with a little effort.

With Mesa you do end up paying a lot for the name, but in my opinion it's justified, especially if you go used. No matter how you spell it, Mesa's do sound fantastic.
Can you solder? You can save a lot of money with this project if you know how to solder.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Because that would be dumb. Amp is 70% of your tone.

Amazing Guitar + Shitty Amp = Shitty Tone
Shitty Guitar + Great Amp = Great Tone

Pretty much.

I'd focus on the amp before anything else right now... You could buy a 59 Les Paul with every penny you'll make in the next 20 years and it still won't sound good through a piss poor amp.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
The reason I've never played a Mesa is no real world music shop near me has any! I have researched (listened) them on youtube, but that's prolly not good enough.

Can you solder? You can save a lot of money with this project if you know how to solder.

I can't, but my dad can. However, we don't know EXACTLY what to do when wiring. The wiring system in the 7321 looks very complicated (with all the coil splitting and things), and if we have to unsolder EVERY INDIVIDUAL CONNECTION (AAAHHH!!!), that would be a problem. Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Also, even on my Vox VT30 I can hear the pickups being overwhelmed by the fat B string. So, I definitely want to help that problem.

The only other problem is that I'm 15 and don't have some kind of infinite money source.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
If you're dad knows how to solder, he probably understands wiring diagrams.

They're pretty easy to get hold of, check the Duncan site.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Will their diagrams result in the same pickup selection and stuff?
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

There's a diagram for 2 humbuckers, 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, and a 3 way switch.. I know your guitar has a five way switch, but you can just leave the wires where they are connected on that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Duncan's diagrams are extremely easy to read. Coild tapping isn't that hard to wire up either. If you follow the diagrams exactly, you'll be good to go. Make sure you sit and read it first though. I re-did my buddy's eEpi Sheraton yesterday and we could NOT get the bridge pup working right. Turns out we forgot to solder two connections together. I missed it because it was only printed beside the neck pickup and not the bridge .
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Thanks, that should help lots.

I assume changing the pots will be a bit more complicated than the pickups though.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Keep in mind that when you use that wiring diagram that you'll need to change the wires coming from the pickups. Duncans use different colour codes than the Dimarzio's you want to put into the guitar.