So, i was thinking about getting a butterfly knife, but i'm not too sure on the legal status of these in Michigan. Anyone know anything about the legality of butterfly knives in Michigan?
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
just buy a gun.

all the cool kids have them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Illegal as Sh*t.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I got one in California, and your laws can't be as strict as ours.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
They really are illegal to possess and carry in Michigan. In Indiana though, it's legal to own but not carry.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ummmm.... Call your local precinct or sheriff's office, I'm sure they'd be glad to tell you what is and isnt legal to purchase in that state...

Seriously, not to be a smart ass. I'm a gun owner and I travel alot, so I call each state I travel through to know what "their" particular laws are as well as what other states laws they do and dont recognize.
Quote by zgr0826
They really are illegal to possess and carry in Michigan. In Indiana though, it's legal to own but not carry.

That's weird, because a store i was recently in had a whole rack of them for sale, and no, it was not the back of a guys trunk or anything, it was an actual store.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Quote by sw1ss023
So, i was thinking about getting a butterfly knife, but i'm not too sure on the legal status of these in Michigan. Anyone know anything about the legality of butterfly knives in Michigan?

you shouldn't be kniving butterflies anyway, what've they done to you?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
You really couldn't find a better place to find an answer to this than in the pit???

*reported*
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by sw1ss023
That's weird, because a store i was recently in had a whole rack of them for sale, and no, it was not the back of a guys trunk or anything, it was an actual store.

Probably some sort of legal loophole. It's like how you can walk right into AutoZone and get some cool illegal shit for your car, like radar detectors, suicide knobs, etc. because those things are only illegal if you put them in your car.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Msword7
You really couldn't find a better place to find an answer to this than in the pit???

*reported*

Seriously? We can come to the pit and ask about all kinds of silly things, something small and dumb to you, may be important to someone else. Leave the role of Thread Gestapo to the CC's and Mods...
Last edited by Kyle Gass at Aug 17, 2010,
Some dumbasses at my school got them. They're straight illegal and they got in a lot of trouble. And there is absolutely no point in owning one.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Kyle Gass
Seriously? We can come to the pit and ask about all kinds of silly things, something small and dumb to you, may be important to someone else. Leave the roll of Thread Gestapo to the CC's and Mods...

If this is that important to them they really shouldn't be asking a source like the pit than
Quote by Msword7

*reported*

this was unnecessary.
id say there legal to own but not carry unless you have a concealed weapons permit which i have in florida so i can cary a pistol or knife or whatever but i don't know about ur state but i made sure to read the hell out of the laws concerning it so i could cover my ass
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Msword7
If this is that important to them they really shouldn't be asking a source like the pit than

Then please by all means go report the relationship thread el capitan.

Or please by all means look up credible yahoo answers for all their needs.

All I'm saying is cool it quick draw.
Quote by uk.mace
What's the difference between asking here or there though, really?
And that's from 2 years ago, who's to say the law hasn't changed?

Me. I have decided that answer is still correct.

Move along.
Quote by Msword7

*reported*

If we weren't allowed to post questions in the pit to which we could find better answers elsewhere, there wouldn't be a pit.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by Msword7

I've been through so many google answers, and each one varies to each site. Calm down, bro, its the pit.

EDIT: \/ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by Msword7

I think OP is stupid and his question is stupid but it's not our place to police the pit of what WE thing is right. If I had the same mindset as you I'd report you for your awful grammar.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by uk.mace
What's the difference between asking here or there though, really?
And that's from 2 years ago, who's to say the law hasn't changed?

That isn't the point... I just clicked on the yahoo one but I am sure there are 100 other updates sites with the answer, including I'm sure the state government's site.
Quote by Msword7
That isn't the point... I just clicked on the yahoo one but I am sure there are 100 other updates sites with the answer, including I'm sure the state government's site.

Which says nothing about butterfly knives specifically, only mechanically operated knives, daggers, dirks, and stilletos, and gravity knives, but i don't think it is considered a gravity knife in MI.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Quote by sw1ss023
Which says nothing about butterfly knives specifically, only mechanically operated knives, daggers, dirks, and stilletos, and gravity knives, but i don't think it is considered a gravity knife in MI.

Some places categorize them as daggers, switchblades, or gravity knives. Other places straight outlaw them by name. They're illegal to have in Michigan in public. So that means no carrying it around.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
They're illegal is most place, they group them in with the switchblades since they're easy to conceal and to get ready.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by GaijinFoot
I think OP is stupid and his question is stupid but it's not our place to police the pit of what WE thing is right. If I had the same mindset as you I'd report you for your awful grammar.

that just makes me laugh.
I came in here and stated what I thought of this thread and why, I feel no further need to argue my point, I'm done in here.
Quote by Msword7
I came in here and stated what I thought of this thread and why, I feel no further need to argue my point, I'm done in here.

I like how you argue about how you think this thread is pointless, but you feel the need to add useless posts to it. GTFO
Also, thank you to the people who had useful answers.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Quote by Msword7

Stating what you thought of the thread and why is fine man, that's what everyone does with every post essential isn't it?
But you reported it. And that makes you seem like some kind of cry baby nanny police type.
That's the bit that annoyed me.
If mods are police, you're a security guard at a public toilet.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I had no idea that butterfly knives were illegal in any state eh, KY is relaxed about all weapon laws..
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by rgrockr
I got one in California, and your laws can't be as strict as ours.

Drown your sorrows in another doobie.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Whats the point in having one anyway?
You can't carry it around and you won't use it...
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

It's a knife, therefore it's legal.

Whether it's legal in certain public or private places, though, depends upon the laws which govern those specific locations/establishments.

A butterfly knife will likely be confiscated at a concert.

If you bring it to the airport, then you're an idiot.

But walking around with, say, a five-inch blade? Shit, you couldn't be a tailor or butcher or cook or much of anything if that were illegal!

A knife is a tool, and no more dangerous a weapon than a hammer or a lamp or a pair of stripped electrical wires, or a pot of boiling water.

You are free to weaponize any tool you like, but if your school bans something specific, or your local shopping mall does it then that's their discretion.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by www.michigan.gov

4. I recently purchased a double-edged survival knife. Does Michigan law allow me to carry this in my vehicle?

MCL 750.227 No. A dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in their own home, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

5. Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?

MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.

Didn't realise it was so hard to google 'Michigan knife laws.' This was the first result.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 17, 2010,