I've heard the term "playing clean", I don't know what is is, but my ideas is that it is either just using distortion instead of a clean channel (which would have nothing to do with technique) or bumping into adjacent strings/ squeaking when fretting?

Thanks.
playing clean is proper fretting and muting technique so that you can play things without unwanted noise
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Playing without the effects of Drug's or Alcohol. It's supposed to be a difficult thing for a proffesional musician to accomplish.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
1.)Playing IN clean..means playing with no effects or distortion going through your amp..2.) playing cleanly means playing without any overtones or playing with perfect intonation
Clean could mean just a clean tone without distortion.

Playing cleanly would be playing without fret buzz, flubbed notes and unwanted strings ringing when they shouldn't. Just any noise really.
I'd say it encompasses a few things:

1) Playing with proper muting technique.
2) Holding notes so they ring out properly and for the correct duration.
3) Having control over your dynamics.

Also it could just mean playing without distortion on.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
I'd say it encompasses a few things:

1) Playing with proper muting technique.
2) Holding notes so they ring out properly and for the correct duration.
3) Having control over your dynamics.

Also it could just mean playing without distortion on.

Basically this. When regarding technique, it's mostly about stopping UNWANTED noise, and making WANTED noise.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Essentially, it means playing well; i.e. as professionally as possible.
I guess it could mean two things:

- playing without distortion on the clean channel of the amp

or probably

- playing with as little unwanted noise as possible and getting the strings to ring out nicely as possible. this is basically another way of saying just generally play with no mistakes.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Playing clean is commonly thought to be just playing with no unnessasary strings being hit and properly fretted and full sounding notes. While that is definately a big part of it, I'd say that the phrase "playing clean" also means playing with even, articulated and dynamically controlled pick attack. Playing with weak, inconsistant sounding technique isn't clean IMO; even if there is minimal noise.
Good clean playing: "Cliffs of Dover," by Eric Johnson.
Bad clean playing: "Cliffs of Dover," as played by anyone who is not Eric Johnson.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...