Just got an MXR-108 10-band EQ. I'm playing it through my RG2550 (also new ) and my Peavey Triumph 60, which has quite a bit of gain on tap.

Placing the pedal before the amp gives some nice tones, but putting it in the FX Loop is incredible. I'm trying to get this straight in my head:

Placing it before the amp means I'm modding the guitar signal before sending it through the amp, but if it's in the FX Loop then that means I'm modding the guitar signal AND the pre-amp gain, which leads to the awesome tones I've been getting, but if I use the clean channel then there's no pre-amp gain so putting it in the FX loop or before the amp makes no difference, right? Wrong?

Also, the first slider on the pedal (on the left) is the volume slider. If it is at 0 or 'boosted' then it amplifies everything, including a lot of hiss. This is really annoying, so I've been playing it with the volume on the pedal cut a bit, which reduces the hiss, and then cranking the volume on the amp a little more. This works really well, but only if the pedal is on. If I turn it off then the volume on the amp instantly blows out my windows. So how can I fix the hiss? Would a noise gate do that?

My amp is quite noisy, and I don't think the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups on my RG2550 are helping with the noise either.

Love the pedal though. Really glad I didn't buy any OD or Dist pedals to go with my amp as the Triumph 60 + MXR108 = Heaven.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
You've got the basics right. It does, however, make a difference even on the clean channel - at least my EQ pedal on my amp does. And yes, it's an unfortunate fact that increasing the volume of the pedal will result in some hissing. A noise gate will more or less eliminate the extra noise, but many people think that it also sucks out your tone. I've never minded using noise gates, though, and I recommend getting one - it's always a good addition to almost any rig.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Maybe I'll get one then -thanks.

Also, what do you guys do with your amp tone knobs when you're using an eq pedal. Do you just leave them all flat?

Actually that's the one thing that annoys me about my amp: although it has four tone controls, only the high and presence work with the two gain channels. Can't understand why, but anyway.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by finetune
what do you guys do with your amp tone knobs when you're using an eq pedal. Do you just leave them all flat?

bump.

anyone?
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
No, you try and get the amp to sound the best you can get it with the stock EQ, then you use the EQ pedal to weed out all the unwanted stuff in your tone. And it's prolly for the best if you just leave the pedal in the FX loop, since that's where it belongs.
Quote by finetune
Placing it before the amp means I'm modding the guitar signal before sending it through the amp
Yes.
, but if it's in the FX Loop then that means I'm modding the guitar signal AND the pre-amp gain,
No, you're only changing the pre-amp signal. You're not changing any gain in the pre-amp.
but if I use the clean channel then there's no pre-amp gain so putting it in the FX loop or before the amp makes no difference, right? Wrong?
There is definitely preamp gain on clean settings. If you plugged your guitar into the FX return it could barely drive the poweramp at all. There is also preamp harmonic distortion, which is affected (clipping isn't the only kind of distortion).
Also, the first slider on the pedal (on the left) is the volume slider. If it is at 0 or 'boosted' then it amplifies everything, including a lot of hiss. This is really annoying, so I've been playing it with the volume on the pedal cut a bit, which reduces the hiss, and then cranking the volume on the amp a little more. This works really well, but only if the pedal is on. If I turn it off then the volume on the amp instantly blows out my windows. So how can I fix the hiss? Would a noise gate do that?
On the EQ pedal, try to cut as much as possible instead of boosting. Compensate with master/channel volume. A noise gate fixes the symptoms, but only do that if you can't eliminate the cause.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!