So here's the problem.

My strings have been getting progressively worse for some reason. It doesn't seem to be having an effect on tone or anything, but the more I play them the 'hairier' they get. Now I know this isn't dust or actual hair, because the material coming off them seems to be like plastic. It's very light and I can't grab it and pull it off, it does seem to be stuck there.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what it was and what I should do? Thanks.
That's most likely the plastic coating coming off the strings. I'm assuming that's an Ibanez bass? Ibanez come stock string with Elixier strings, which are known to have a thin plastic coating to prolong the life of the strings. The coating comes after having them on the bass a long time.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Yeah sorry it is an Ibanez (BTB). And thanks, is it something I need to worry about as i've only owned it for about a month?
Well, you could shave them?

Serious face: I haven't heard of hairy strings before, but if it's a problem you can just change the them
As long as the strings still retain the tone that you want, then keep the strings on. If not, then yeah, get new strings
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Rylinn
Already?

Yup, you usually don't have to replace bass strings very often, maybe once every 6 months(I'm not a constant bass player) but who knows how long the factory have left that set of strings on that bass.

Plus, new strings are awesome. I would recommend some D'Addario nickle wound, since they are the best cheapest strings I've found, bout $30-$35 a set.
Quote by Rylinn
So here's the problem.

My strings have been getting progressively worse for some reason. It doesn't seem to be having an effect on tone or anything, but the more I play them the 'hairier' they get. Now I know this isn't dust or actual hair, because the material coming off them seems to be like plastic. It's very light and I can't grab it and pull it off, it does seem to be stuck there.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what it was and what I should do? Thanks.

Are these stock strings? If so, they've probably been on the bass pretty long, making the coating come off. If you buy new strings and put them on, then they'll last longer than a month.
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I haven't tried Elixers myself but my friend has some on his acoustic guitar. They are getting pretty worn and hairy but they still sound great, I assume it would be the same with bass strings.
Last edited by zeroncali at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by fleajr_1412
That's most likely the plastic coating coming off the strings. I'm assuming that's an Ibanez bass? Ibanez come stock string with Elixier strings, which are known to have a thin plastic coating to prolong the life of the strings. The coating comes after having them on the bass a long time.

this.
it happened to me when I bought my sr 506
All elixers do that and it doesnt mean new strings. In my experience Elixirs last forever so even when all the "hair" is gone they will still sound awesome. I dont know how/why some people go through strings like water at $30 a set. I put on my first set of strings on my fretless (used for two years before changing) expecting them to be almost dead but they were brighter than my rather new rotosounds. I change my strings like once a year IF I have extra cash.
I change mine every week.. but I do slap them to shit.

Id recommend new strings, cheap as chips considering their the life of any guitar.
I have the SR400PB and have had the same strings on there for almost a year now and the tone is still fantastic, and they are also a little fuzzy, but as mentioned earlier thats just the coating from the strings, no need to worry tho.
Quote by sstony
I have the SR400PB and have had the same strings on there for almost a year now and the tone is still fantastic, and they are also a little fuzzy, but as mentioned earlier thats just the coating from the strings, no need to worry tho.

What are you comparing the tone to though? Strings lose tone the day after they are played theres no way that after nearly a year those strings sound as good as a fresh pair of the same type.

It depends on what style you play I suppose but whack a new set on there and you really will be astonished with the difference in tonality, they will feel like 10x softer too.

I mean, after that long those things will be rusting to your bass :P
Quote by MWriff
What are you comparing the tone to though? Strings lose tone the day after they are played theres no way that after nearly a year those strings sound as good as a fresh pair of the same type.

It depends on what style you play I suppose but whack a new set on there and you really will be astonished with the difference in tonality, they will feel like 10x softer too.

I mean, after that long those things will be rusting to your bass :P

No rust and still great tone.
Quote by sstony
No rust and still great tone.

The rust thing was a kinda joky thing, and yeh the tone might still be good but Im saying it could be better I guarentee you.

Find me a set of strings that dont lose any tone for that long and ill give you the money im using evey week to buy others :P
Quote by MWriff
The rust thing was a kinda joky thing, and yeh the tone might still be good but Im saying it could be better I guarentee you.

Find me a set of strings that dont lose any tone for that long and ill give you the money im using evey week to buy others :P

Do you change the strings on your bass every week ?
Quote by sstony
Do you change the strings on your bass every week ?

I do yeah but theres always a snapped one, Im poor but I have a tab at my local shop I pay back whenever i get wages.

Its because I play mainly slap bass and ive got a really crappy bass so it must twist and pull the strings in the wrong way.
I hate the sound of new strings. IMO they sound much better after a year anyway.
If you break a string every week, then you're doing something VERY wrong.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by MWriff
I do yeah but theres always a snapped one, Im poor but I have a tab at my local shop I pay back whenever i get wages.

Its because I play mainly slap bass and ive got a really crappy bass so it must twist and pull the strings in the wrong way.

Well you need to get that fixed because you don´t need to change strings every week on a bass, I keep an extra set with me when I´m playing a gig but those strings that are on there are still the original elixirs and have a great tone thats why I have´nt changed them yet.
Quote by sstony
Well you need to get that fixed because you don´t need to change strings every week on a bass, I keep an extra set with me when I´m playing a gig but those strings that are on there are still the original elixirs and have a great tone thats why I have´nt changed them yet.

I cant afford to either fix it or a new bass man, My friends dad supplies the strings
Quote by smb
I hate the sound of new strings. IMO they sound much better after a year anyway.

I agree if its a low tone your after but I play slap so new strings sounds like sex :P
your strings are just going through puberty man. There's gonna be hair in funny places and they may start sounding a little different.
Quote by fleajr_1412

Like I said, my bass is ****ed and put an unholy amount of tension in em.

theres no way Im not gonna play it and theres no point getting it fixed (if you saw it you would understand) I cant afford a new bass, so I mean

just another fine example of how being skint gets you in debt.

Im not saying Im not doing anything wrong though, weve all got something,
hair on a g string? :P

Quote by fleajr_1412

if you're breaking bass strings on a weekly basis, then either you have really crap strings or you're chuck norris
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Raizer Sabre
hair on a g string? :P

if you're breaking bass strings on a weekly basis, then either you have really crap strings or you're chuck norris

Hair on a g string - classic hahaha

Yeah its my bass causing them to snap, not an iota of Norris in me Im afraid

Although Ive just played get up and jump for the first time at full speed and im feeling a little proud and norrisy :P
Quote by MWriff
I cant afford to either fix it or a new bass man, My friends dad supplies the strings

But you can afford to buy strings every week...? And if he's giving you the strings on a tab he's probably giving you the cheapest strings he has. Go spend some money and get some that will last you six months. I also don't believe that you break string every week...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

But you can afford to buy strings every week...? And if he's giving you the strings on a tab he's probably giving you the cheapest strings he has. Go spend some money and get some that will last you six months. I also don't believe that you break string every week...

Read the previous posts and youll get it.
Quote by MWriff

My first new set of strings were Daddarios. Then I heard rotosounds were pretty bright so I went to those. I broke a string at school trying to tune up (total noobsauce) and put one of the two year old strings from my first ibanez on and lo and behold it was brighter than the rotosounds that I bought a couple months before. Post in the guitar building sub forum, it might be something you can fix before putting $40 strings on
Quote by MWriff
Read the previous posts and youll get it.

....Then fix the bass....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by MWriff
Yeah its my bass causing them to snap

Are they breaking at the bridge or the nut? You may just have a poorly cut nut, or some sharp edges on your bridge, either of which are cheap easy fixes.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Raizer Sabre
if you're breaking bass strings on a weekly basis, then either you have really crap strings or you're The Flea
Fix'd

Also, if option 2.....

Quote by CreepingDeath13
your strings are just going through puberty man. There's gonna be hair in funny places and they may start sounding a little different.

Oh my gawd I laffed.

Elixirs do that kinda crap. I changed them after 3 months on an Ibanez to D'addarios nickel wound and its totally worth it. I hate the dull sound/slippery feel of coateds >.<

+ at 26 bucks a set, and AMAZING sound, I love em.

Has anyone here ever tried a Prosteels set? Im thinking about them but im not sure how bright they really are, shed some light?
pinga
They're not the brightest of steels I've played, but they're steels, so they'll still be bright. I found they died quite quickly too.
Quote by skater dan0
Oh bummer. Wierd, because my nickels are still pretty bright and I play on them alot.
pinga