So, I'm going to get a guitar soon (Yay)! I used to fingerpick on my old classical guitar, but I don't think that would work so well trying to play the sort of stuff I hope to play (Rock, Blues etc...).

As a beginner, should I stick to standard 0.66mm picks, such as Dunlop standards? I've heard good stories about the Jazz IIIs and Ultexes but I believe they're thick picks.

Long story short, should I use standard 0.66mm picks because I'm a beginner, or use Jazz III's?
Dude, picks are cheap. Go to your store and get 20 differente and then stick to 2-3 that you really like - that is the only way.
I think its mostly a matter of preference. I use either a 2mm or 1mm pick. What I was taught is that thin picks are apparently better for exclusively strumming chords while thick picks are more suited to intricate picking due to their rigidity.
I mostly only use the 2mm because its the one I leave in my guitar strings and I'm lazy.
Well, i like to use Dunlop's Jazz Stubby's 3.0 mm , plays really great, and i don't even do that much jazz, works really great for aswell soloing, as getting a smooth sound out of your chords!
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Dude, picks are cheap. Go to your store and get 20 differente and then stick to 2-3 that you really like - that is the only way.

+ this alot of times.

Took me a few years to find my love of Jazz III's so experiment
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
any dunlop pick and you cannot go wrong if your a stummer stick with anything below .73mm for shredding or alternate stay above that number. always works for me. dunlop ultex sharps 1mm seem to be my current favorite.