i made a thread last week about getting a new electric guitar, and i believe i have finally settled on a jackson dk2l dinky. I want to play every genre, a warm thin clean stratish sounding clean tone is really important to me, but i also want to be able to do metal, hence the floyd rose. I am still open to suggestions, this guitar is about 700, and i am willing to spend ~1200. i would like an original floyd rose, possible a piezo still. Is this the right guitar for me? and how would it compare to a razorback? my friend has one and thinks its the best guitar on the planet, and i absolutly hate it.
have a look at the PRS SE series. you wont get a floyd rose but it's a great versatile guitar for the money.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by saunders73
i made a thread last week about getting a new electric guitar, and i believe i have finally settled on a jackson dk2l dinky. I want to play every genre, a warm thin clean stratish sounding clean tone is really important to me, but i also want to be able to do metal, hence the floyd rose. I am still open to suggestions, this guitar is about 700, and i am willing to spend ~1200. i would like an original floyd rose, possible a piezo still. Is this the right guitar for me? and how would it compare to a razorback? my friend has one and thinks its the best guitar on the planet, and i absolutly hate it.

metal =/= floyd rose
theres heaps of metal guitarist with fixed bridge guitars.
dont get a razorback, youll regret it later down the line when youre trying to sell it.

I know this sounds pretty cliche for EG but schecter hellraiser with the coil tap function would be *my* personal choice. Floyd rose optional but it sounds like you want one with it. Though trust me, unless you like wanking off doing dive bombs all day instead of playing, the novelty will run dry.
Quote by Arterial
metal =/= floyd rose
theres heaps of metal guitarist with fixed bridge guitars.

...trust me, unless you like wanking off doing dive bombs all day instead of playing, the novelty will run dry.

I agree. Although, sometimes one FR guitar is needed before you realize that yourself. I know I HAD to have a FR when I was in the market for a guitar a few years ago, but now that I've been with it for a while I can buy hardtails and feel happy about it because I don't feel I'm really missing out on anything XD

That being said, I feel it's nice to have at least one guitar with a FR setup in case you do want that option once in a while.
Quote by saunders73

since when do jackson's get a nice clean stratty sound? great choice for a metal guitar but otherwise not known for great versitility. perhaps an H-S-S strat would do better for you. floyds have nothing to do with getting a metal sound. a razorback won't get you the sounds you are after at all.
i know razorbacks won't get the sounds i want, i did say i hate them.. i have looked for a left handed h-s-s strat and i cannot find one. That would be my optimal guitar. And the prs se torero looks nice, but no lefty?. I know floyds have nothing to do with the sound, i just want to have the option.but, i do think it would be sort of a novelty that i have listened to much to a dimebag obsessed friend about for too long.
Quote by saunders73

~Every genre
~Single coily cleans
~Also do metal
~Floyd Rose
~$700-$1,200 pricerange
~Piezo
~Hates Razorbacks, and assumably guitars like them

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=c66

I think you'll like one of these. I can put a Piezo unit that also includes coil-splitters onto one with a Floyd for a little over $1,200, less if I don't use stainless steel frets. US-made, quality parts, made with a combo of hand-sanding and CNC machines so it's exact but has the feel of something done by hand, I think it'll fit the bill. Just decide between HSS and piezo; the piezo only comes with HH.

Edit: And the lefty model is zero dollars more.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 18, 2010,
necrosis that looks perfect! when i try to hit lefty on the guitar builder the option for active electronics and a piezo disappear.. strange i have no idea why they could not do that for a lefty.. perhaps a glitch in the website.
Glad to be a help. And the online builder I found out when ordering mine is really something to get an idea with; When I called them up, they were willing to shove enough of my crazy wiring in that it's going to have 30 pickup combinations and the head builder said they were out of room in the control cavity. Give them a call tomorrow, they're a really accommodating company as long as you don't want them to use out-of-house pickups, I'm fairly sure they'll be able to put a piezo unit in the lefty model.

great ill have to do that! and just for curiousity, what model/ specs did you get to have 30 pickup combinations??
Same model. As for the specs, HSH, 5-way switch, bridge on/off for positions 1 and 2, individual coil-splitters, and a phase toggle.

So I have the the neckbucker, neck split, neck split-mid, mid, mid-bridge, bridgebucker, bridge split, neck and bridge full-on, neck split and bridgebucker, both split, neckbucker and split bridge, all three with a split bridge, all three with a split neck, all three with a split neck and bridge, all three fully on, and all fifteen of those out-of-phase. If they could've fit my final request of a series/parallel toggle, I'd have 60 combinations.

Quote by necrosis1193
So I have the the neckbucker, neck split, neck split-mid, mid, mid-bridge, bridgebucker, bridge split, neck and bridge full-on, neck split and bridgebucker, both split, neckbucker and split bridge, all three with a split bridge, all three with a split neck, all three with a split neck and bridge, all three fully on, and all fifteen of those out-of-phase. If they could've fit my final request of a series/parallel toggle, I'd have 60 combinations.

That's insane. Sixty pickup combinations. O.O

My guitar has one.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2