Hey guys... I know this topic has probably been gone over a lot but i would like to know. What are some speed techniques that i can use to improve the speed of my fretting hand? My picking hand is fast but my fretting hand cant keep up. Please help!!!
Remember speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Practise with a metronome for a while every day Only ever raise the speed once you can completely nail it at your current speed. You can do a spider or just a really simple lick on just 1 string, its all up to you.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Accuracy => speed. I know it's boring, but you REALLY have to spend a lot of time playing slow before you can go fast
Rely on muscele memory . Im currently learning a solo and i couldent play some of the licks in there for half the speed i can now . So i just played it very slow & comfortable . Over and over until i dident have to look at the tablature anymore , and then i speeded up abit at a time . If you get sloopy or tense slow down abit and then go up after a while again.
I had this same problem. My right hand is strong and very fast, but my left hand was slow.

I did what the others suggested here: I focused on accuracy first then slowly sped up. Worked like a charm.

Or should I say WORKING like a charm. I'm still improving.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
And get your hand good and stretched when you first start playing. I've found that if I do 5-10 minutes of this before I play I can play quite a bit faster because I don't have to strain my fretting hand as bad.
idk i normally stretch a bit and practice licks that make me use my picking hand and fretting hand equally( like the chorus to Crystal Mountain by Death is one of my absolute FAVORITES to play learn the one from the Guitar World tab the one on UG is totally accurate) but learning scales helps alot that all shredding and speed even in blues and rock scales will help with the accuracy of your notes
Quote by Drakathan
Remember speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Practise with a metronome for a while every day Only ever raise the speed once you can completely nail it at your current speed. You can do a spider or just a really simple lick on just 1 string, its all up to you.

+1

The best technical advice I've ever been given was that accuracy comes before speed.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Alright thanks guys. I'm thinking of buying a lick library DVD titled Ultimate Guitar: How to Play Fast. Anybody know anything about this DVD lesson? Please tell me if it would be useful?
Quote by Hello 43
Alright thanks guys. I'm thinking of buying a lick library DVD titled Ultimate Guitar: How to Play Fast. Anybody know anything about this DVD lesson? Please tell me if it would be useful?

Oh man, I've got that DVD and some others from lick library. They are useful, but I'm not sure if they are worth the whole bunch of money.. instead you could get them other ways.. PM me.

If not, I'd say practice boring scales and stuff for half an hour or an hour a day depending on the time you have. I do that. Progress is so slow that you may think it's not working but if you look back at where you were at a few months ago you'll see it does work

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Aug 18, 2010,