i am by no means a tube buff, and am pretty much lost as far as choosing the tubes i want to put in the renegade.

i am confident that i will be able to install them and bias them, its just that i dont know what to pick or what my options are.

let the juices start flowing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've always been curious, but too lazy to look or ask - do all Egnaters come with JJs in the power section and Sovteks in the preamp section, or just my Rebel? Either way, give Mullards a try, as well as Tungsols. If you have more money, go for NOS tubes, but I know less about those than some dudes on here.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
seriously you have like all the gear that im GASing for lol.

for el34 jjs are good brand, and for 6l6 id say for for SED or sovtek

tubedepot.com
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by ibz_bucket
I've always been curious, but too lazy to look or ask - do all Egnaters come with JJs in the power section and Sovteks in the preamp section, or just my Rebel? Either way, give Mullards a try, as well as Tungsols. If you have more money, go for NOS tubes, but I know less about those than some dudes on here.

all th egenaters ive seen come with groovetubes stock. mullard and tungsol are also good, but damn, NOS is BS. if anything they are worse than new production because even though while not in use the parts have degraded over time, as anything does.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
If it's EL34, SED =C= are, IMO, the best damn new production EL34s there are.

I've tried JJs, Tung Sols, Mullard reissues - won't consider anything else after trying these.

For 6L6, I can't help you.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
SED =C= and especially Ruby EL34BHTs (just used in my Baron) are great tubes.

6L6s, I liked Tung-Sol but I'd look here.

- http://thetubestore.com/6l6costello.html
- http://thetubestore.com/6l6templeton.html

Two opinions on tubes. Now just pick the ones you want.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by Linqua5150
all th egenaters ive seen come with groovetubes stock. mullard and tungsol are also good, but damn, NOS is BS. if anything they are worse than new production because even though while not in use the parts have degraded over time, as anything does.

wat

Explain to me how things degrades in a vacuum. Fact is that tubes were made to a higher and more consistent standard back then. Along with the material differences, it makes for a fairly different tube.

TS, I'd recommend =C= in the power section, your choice in the preamp. JJs, Tung Sols and Shuguang are a nice modern production start.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Linqua5150

Not much going on above the neck, is there?

The NOS tubes are all military grade products, with usable lifespans far exceeding the new production stuff. It's also rather hard for parts to degrade in a sealed vaccum and, being NEW old stock, they're completely unused.

That said, unless you're made of money I wouldn't go NOS for anything other than preamp tubes, since they have hours upon hours of playtime available.

Edit: lousy Matt.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 17, 2010,
this is to answer how i know they are dieing. the answer is i am not positive, but i hear loud popping and crackeling on both channels when the amp is on and switched to the play position, when i am playing or when i am not.

does that sound about right?

before asking any other questions, i want to confirm.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by mmolteratx

TS, I'd recommend =C= in the power section, your choice in the preamp. JJs, Tung Sols and Shuguang are a nice modern production start.

what does the =C= mean? sorry i am unfamiliar and this is the second reference to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It's a brand of tubes made in St. Petersburg. They're also known as SED or are commonly referred to as Winged C. IMO, they make the best new production EL34 and 6L6. They were formerly known as Svetlana until Mike Matthews of E/H sued them for the name.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's just the brand. You want SED Winged Cs.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
this is to answer how i know they are dieing. the answer is i am not positive, but i hear loud popping and crackeling on both channels when the amp is on and switched to the play position, when i am playing or when i am not.

does that sound about right?

before asking any other questions, i want to confirm.

loud popping and crackling is often an indication of an overly microphonic preamp tube(s), not power tubes. Before you spend a bunch of cash on power tubes, I'd find your potential preamp tube culprit and try swapping that out. For now you can swap some of the existing preamp tubes around note any differences in sound while keeping good track of which one is which. You can write a small number or something on each one with a permanent marker.

or follow this guide I made to find microphonic preamp tubes.

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.flv

PS: dying power tubes will often manifest themselves as a loss of volume.