Ok, I feel like an idiot asking this question. I've been playing for about a year and half. I've used a metronome on and off. I feel like I should have had a clear understanding of what I'm about to ask a LONG time ago.

Here is my question.

Lets say I'm practicing a song that has a tempo of 150bpm. In that song there are groups of sextuplets. So, to play those sextuplets up to speed, I would need to set my metronome to 150bpm and play six notes between each click?

8th notes would be eight notes between each click? 16th would be sixteen between each click?

I have been operating under this assumption. I was thinking about it today and thought I might be wrong. It doesn't seem humanly possible to play 8 or 16 notes between the clicks at like 150+bpm. That would be like 16 notes in a second. I don't know how fast the master shredders play but that just seems way out there.

So am I completely wrong? Someone point me to a good lesson or explain this so I can straighten it out.
Quote by big_aug
Ok, I feel like an idiot asking this question. I've been playing for about a year and half. I've used a metronome on and off. I feel like I should have had a clear understanding of what I'm about to ask a LONG time ago.

Here is my question.

Lets say I'm practicing a song that has a tempo of 150bpm. In that song there are groups of sextuplets. So, to play those sextuplets up to speed, I would need to set my metronome to 150bpm and play six notes between each click?

8th notes would be eight notes between each click? 16th would be sixteen between each click?

I have been operating under this assumption. I was thinking about it today and thought I might be wrong. It doesn't seem humanly possible to play 8 or 16 notes between the clicks at like 150+bpm. That would be like 16 notes in a second. I don't know how fast the master shredders play but that just seems way out there.

So am I completely wrong? Someone point me to a good lesson or explain this so I can straighten it out.

Quarter notes = 1/4 = one note per click

Eighth notes = 1/8 = 2 notes per click

16th notes = 1/16 = 4 notes per click

Sextuplets are 16th note triplets, so set your metronome to give you triplets (3 clicks per beat) and play 2 notes per click
16th notes are four notes between each click.
[4 One Click + 4 The Next Click + 4 The Next Click + 4 The Next Click = 16 notes played in a full run through at 4/4]

I'd think 8th is two between each. Not really sure. [?]

Playing four notes (gradually increasing speed over time) per click is seemingly the most productive way to use the metronome for me; then again, that's cause I'm the type to spend 4-6 hours doing this alone, with little (15 second) breaks between. It works to get me up and I've been playing around the same amount of time as you.
Last edited by -DaTB- at Aug 17, 2010,
Ok, thank you.

I had a feeling I was mistaken on this one.

So when I was doing 8 notes per click at 75bpm today, I was practicing 32nd notes (or 16th notes at 150bpm)?

Probably be able to make a lot more progress doing it properly.
Last edited by big_aug at Aug 17, 2010,