Before I begin,I want you to know that I'm new to guitar(6-7 months) and in the UG forum(1st post)
First of all hello to everybody!!!
Now,my question...
I've been searching around the web to find out how do I figure out where to play the notes...Let me explain...
I know all the basic notes(low E,1st fret etc etc,you get what I mean)
But how will I figure out,since the note shapes are the same on the music sheets,whether I have to play the note on the 1st fret of the E string or somewhere else on the fretboard...I'll try to make it simpler:

Here

for example,on this music sheet(without the tab) I would play 2nd note displayed not on the G string 9th fret,but on the E string,open...
How will I recognize where I will play a note that has the shape of the 1st fret on the G string,but is actually played on the B string 7th fret(The examples I give are completely random)
I hope you understand what I mean and I'm sorry if I'm saying cr@p....
Thanks for any help!!!
Playing the note on a higher string will have a thinner, more open sound; and playing it on a lower string will have a thicker, heavier sound.

Ease of playing the phrase in a certain way will probably give you hints - keeping a line between a few frets instead of sliding up and down the neck to reach notes you could get to with less movement.
Technically, it doesn't matter where you play it. Whatever position sounds best / is most comfortable is where you should play it.
They're the same notes, so you can play them anywhere. It's up to you. That's the beauty of guitar; you can play a note in multiple locations.

You may choose to play a note in one location because it makes your chord/melody fingering easier, or you may like the tone you get from it better. It doesn't really matter, as long as you're happy.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I'd suggest learning what a "note" is.

E (top space of the staff), for example, can be played on the open E, fifth fret of B, 9th of G, 14th of D, and beyond that you don't want to play it that way!!

If that's what you mean, there's your answer. If the staff says, "E," then play any E that tickles your fancy.

Cheers!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Also, when it comes to choosing between an open note and a fretted one, think about whether or not you want vibrato on the note, and how you would want to achieve it if you did (finger vibrato, whammy bar, behind-the-nut etc).
Standard Notation doesn't take the fact that guitars have repeated notes into consideration, hence the use of tablature. So if you only have Standard Notation you'll have to experiment until you work out what position is easiest. There isn't really any way around it.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
Standard Notation doesn't take the fact that guitars have repeated notes into consideration, hence the use of tablature. So if you only have Standard Notation you'll have to experiment until you work out what position is easiest. There isn't really any way around it.

I've definitely seen (and played) sheet music that had strings specified for certain sections (usually it only appears when it's a doubtful situation).
Quote by ChrisN

Classical guitar sheet music often does give directions - the Roman Numerals being the position (eg V means play at the 5th fret) and the small numbers by individual notes show which finger to fret them with.

Quote by FlamingThunder
Before I begin,I want you to know that I'm new to guitar(6-7 months) and in the UG forum(1st post)
First of all hello to everybody!!!
Now,my question...
I've been searching around the web to find out how do I figure out where to play the notes...Let me explain...
I know all the basic notes(low E,1st fret etc etc,you get what I mean)
But how will I figure out,since the note shapes are the same on the music sheets,whether I have to play the note on the 1st fret of the E string or somewhere else on the fretboard...I'll try to make it simpler:

Here

for example,on this music sheet(without the tab) I would play 2nd note displayed not on the G string 9th fret,but on the E string,open...
How will I recognize where I will play a note that has the shape of the 1st fret on the G string,but is actually played on the B string 7th fret(The examples I give are completely random)
I hope you understand what I mean and I'm sorry if I'm saying cr@p....
Thanks for any help!!!

I know exactly what you mean.

First of all I suggest Music Reading for Guirat by David Oakes from MI Press, its the absolute best book on the subject of real life sightreading bar none, and I could go for days debating and winning this claim.

But one thing he does is start at the 5th position which is odd for a sightreading book, but turns out to be utterly just one of the things that makes this book a brilliant work. He shows that most melodies can be played in three positions on the neck. From there its a matter of choosing the finger economy of the position you are in.

You are absolutely right about something called Unisons, which is unique to the guitar and not on the piano. G in the same pitch is found at the 5th string 10th fret, the 4th string 5th fret and the open 3rd as well as the 6th string 15th fret.

Best,

Sean
Quote by sickman411
Stuff they said.

Quote by blue_strat
Stuff they said.

I'd just come back to edit my post. This morning I was looking at a classical guitar book of selected Beatles tunes and saw this for the first time. It does help a fair bit but, in this instance, certainly isn't perfect.

Interesting all the same!
404: Sig not found.