So I went to unstring my strat copy today because I needed to put in a new set. Well... I found out that the wood between the bridge and pickguard cracked all the way through to underneath the springs. The bridge no longer sits flat.

We undid all the hardware down there and put epoxy on it. It seemed to work, then we installed the bridge and the springs and it went right back where it was before.

The bridge is identical to that of a Stratocaster, only without the 6 screws near the pickguard.

So. How can I fix this? Could I somehow reglue and block the tremolo? I have a feeling that the springs are making this situation worse. Any suggestions are appreciated!
the tension is coming from the strings. so to get it to stay, you'll want to repair the (ply) wood if possible.

can you take a pic?

maybe we can figure out how you can reinforce the bridge, or epoxy the broken pieces better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
There's some way to block the tremolo the eric clapton strat has a blocked one(or at least the one I tried did)
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
^well yeah you can block a bridge and a full block, on the left side of the bar, even bigger than this one here, might help stabilize the bridge....

but you'll want to fix the torn out portions in the front first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Just a minute. I'll take a few pics.

Also, the tension from the strings should be a non-factor. It appeared fixed, then the springs broke it again.

Man, I should clean that.
Last edited by sprandel at Aug 17, 2010,
well actually the the string tension pulling it towards the headstock, but it doesn;t matter either way.

the studs are completely ripped out and the body is well... no longer a body.

if you want to try to save the body, i suggest you take out all the hardware, epoxy,
redrill for the bridge studs and glue in a block of wood that completely covers the trem cavity.

filling it in, and basically making it so that you no longer have a trem cavity.

take this over to guitar custom section. see if someone wants to give you a step by step.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

How does something like this happen? I used to use 12's on the guitar, I asked if I needed more tension in the back if I'm moving to a heavier string and they said it would be fine...
Quote by sprandel
How does something like this happen? I used to use 12's on the guitar, I asked if I needed more tension in the back if I'm moving to a heavier string and they said it would be fine...

seriously, even if you needed more spring tension to even it out, the WORST that should have happened, was that the bridge should have lifted at its ass end into the air.

that bridge NEVER should have ripped out like that.

unless it's a cheap copy, with cheap body material, and cheap hardware.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62