I've trying to sing for awhile now and Im taking lessons. I can sing like acoustic stuff fine but Im trying to sing like Pantera, Alice In Chain, and Soundgarden type stuff. I can figure out how to do any of it though and its driving me crazy! Any help?
The problem is probably that you're not engaging enough of your chest voice to employ a "powerful" sound. So you're instead using more head voice, resulting in an airy sound which you think is better suited to softer music.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hmm, I dont want to sound like them just in that style. How do I use more of a chest voice? Im still confused about all of this.
Quote by hawk_kst
It's mainly the voice you're born with.
Some people are born with a very heavy voice that suits one style of music, other people a different style...
This will sound frustrating but if you don't have a metal voice try sticking to other genres because it will be very easy to damage your voice!

Nope. That's wacky, misinformed bullshit. It's got nothing to do with your range either. It just takes practice. It's not like Phil Anselmo, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell just have completely inhuman voices and their vocal cords are made of titanium. They worked on getting good coordination for a very long time to get the sounds they got. At this point, I think I can probably sing any song from all of those guys (the exception being Phil Anselmo, I can only do Pantera's early stuff) and I was born with a shitty singing voice. It just takes lots of practice. Imagine that.
Quote by Tree-Yo!
Hmm, I dont want to sound like them just in that style. How do I use more of a chest voice? Im still confused about all of this.

Well this sort of stuff is hard to describe over the net. How about right now, yell "hey!" like you've seen a mate walking nearby and you want to get his attention. Does it feel like it's coming from low in your body? Now sing, as you usually do. Does it feel like it's coming from a bit higher?

That's a very basic way of describing the difference. There's a lot of body-awareness required in singing, which is why it's so hard to learn.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well this sort of stuff is hard to describe over the net. How about right now, yell "hey!" like you've seen a mate walking nearby and you want to get his attention. Does it feel like it's coming from low in your body? Now sing, as you usually do. Does it feel like it's coming from a bit higher?

That's a very basic way of describing the difference. There's a lot of body-awareness required in singing, which is why it's so hard to learn.

I can do alot really well, its just on harder stuff like heavy choruses. Like Would or Rooster by Alice In Chains. I can do the soft verses awsome but when it get agressive, Im lost. What do I do?
maybe you need to learn vocal distortion, or if you already know how to do that then im not sure haha.