I've been playing guitar for some years now and I have a LP but I feel like mixing things up a bit and build my own "strat" replica.

And by "build" I mean do everything else but the body and neck.

I really love John Mayer's tone (I know those damn amps and his fingers are very important but help me out here) so I'm aiming to get as close to that as possible, or at least have a pretty damn good sounding guitar.

I'm thinking about buying the neck in Maple with a Rosewood fretboard:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180512483894&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And the body in Adler:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170481149390&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

First off, what do you guys think about this? Any good?

And other thing, how much do the tremolo sets, the neck plate and all that (besides the wood and the pickups) affect the tone of the guitar?

Thank you guys

SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
I am not familiar with the company that is selling the body and neck but I do know this. The neck is probably the most important part of the guitar and getting one for that price I would be skeptical of. Look around at the other sites and see what they sell necks and bodies for (Warmoth, USA Guitars, AllParts, StewMac) A GOOD neck will run you around $175 and up. On Ebay there is a guy named Reliablefender. He sells REAL Fender products. Used and New necks and bodies. Again I have not heard of the company you are looking at and I have not heard any of there guitars but I do know you can buy Strat or Strat copies for around $125 and then you can get a decent Strat starting at $600.
As far as the hardware, you need a GOOD bridge. Tremolo or hardtail you need a good one. I have used a Wilkinson but my favorite Bridges are Callaham Guitars S bridges. Tuners, again Callaham or vintage Fender. I also like the Sperzel locking tuners. I use a blend pot instead of a 2nd tone control. (Blend pot blends the neck and bridge pickups) I use a .047 cap opn the tone control and the Seymour Duncan volume treble bleed. I have built 6 guitars now (3 of which are posted in my pics) and so far the cheapest has cost me $800. Honestly I wouldn't take $1000 for any of them.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD. It is a addictive hobby and you will be building many more.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Can't go wrong with Alder body & Maple/Rosewood neck. It's the standard strat comp.
How much money do you want to spend on this?
Your wood selection is solid.
The bridge is very important: big impact on both playability and tone. Do not skimp there. I would go with a two-point trem because they float better and stay in tune better than six-screw bridges. Wilkinson makes good bridges. G&L is also a good option. Or you could get a Fender USA bridge.

Neck is also huge for playability. Johnny may disagree with me here, but if you are looking to save money, look at some Squier necks. Some of them are okay, some of them are brilliant. You may be able to find a used one with a good neck for cheap.
Quote by cedricsmods
How much money do you want to spend on this?
Your wood selection is solid.
The bridge is very important: big impact on both playability and tone. Do not skimp there. I would go with a two-point trem because they float better and stay in tune better than six-screw bridges. Wilkinson makes good bridges. G&L is also a good option. Or you could get a Fender USA bridge.

Neck is also huge for playability. Johnny may disagree with me here, but if you are looking to save money, look at some Squier necks. Some of them are okay, some of them are brilliant. You may be able to find a used one with a good neck for cheap.

No disagreement here. The top end Squires have good necks.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
salgala2000, I'll post my photoshopped ideas for the finish as soon as I can.

JohnnyNash, I had some doubts about the neck myself, the problem is that I have to find a store/ eBay seller that ships the items from the UK or other country in the EU because if I order from the USA I'll pay loads of taxes and it can get "stuck" in the customs.

I was thinking about Fender Vintage tuners actually. But apart from that I'm still looking, I heard that the Wilkinson Tremolo Gotoh is pretty good, what do you think?

cedricsmods, I don't have a budget really, I'm thinking about what to spend as I go, if I have to wait 1 or 2 months before I can buy the bridge/ pickups I find best that's ok. There's not much of a hurry to buy everything now if you know what I mean.

Btw, can you link me to some place that sells some good Squier necks (in Europe)? I don't like Squiers that much but I'm willing to take a look based on your comments.

The big problem now is: What neck should I buy?

Oh and thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited by Dealer16 at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by Dealer16

The big problem now is: What neck should I buy?

You know any chance I get to promote Squier, I'm gonna take it

I just love a good underdog.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
I would look for used Squiers at pawnshops, local classified ads, etc. Are there many floating around in the EU? I am not sure I would buy one unless I could play if first. Try some out and if you like the neck, junk the rest.
Quote by cedricsmods
I would look for used Squiers at pawnshops, local classified ads, etc. Are there many floating around in the EU? I am not sure I would buy one unless I could play if first. Try some out and if you like the neck, junk the rest.

I might go to my local music store and see if they got any and ask around to see what I can find.

Quote by Tone Deaf
You know any chance I get to promote Squier, I'm gonna take it

I just love a good underdog.

I'll look into it.

Quote by salgala2000
Have you thought about relicing it? A relic'd strat=blues in my mind

It's cool but I'd rather have mine pretty and shiny and let time and playing beat her up.

I think a humbucker is important as well. I've just "built" a Strat and it's amazing how much nicer the tone is compared to single coils.

I ended up getting a relativly cheap bridge (Around £22). Also, it was a struggle to find one in black that suited the guitar.
CrazyPigeon, I don't know about that, I'm probably going to use single coils only. But let's hear some more opinions.

I definitely prefer a humbucker in the bridge, even on a strat. Love the singles in the neck and middle, but single in the bridge just lacks the bite for me.
It is nice to have it splitable though, because middle in parallel with bridge single is sweet sounding.
But if I go HSS I cannot use that body I mention in the OP, or can I?

I'd also like to have a volume knob that would go to eleven, seriously, I don't know if they make any though.

I have 2 les pauls, and right now I'm GASing for a strat. I would go all out strat (SSS) but it's your choice.

I saw a guy on ebay selling knobs that he labeled as "original gibson", then he said he couldn't verify the make, and the knobs either went to 11 or 13. I forget.
You can also use the blend pot and blend the neck with the bridge pickup. This way you have the original 3 single coil or you can have a neck/bridge THICK sound. I put the blend pot on all my strats

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp