Hey guys! I've got a gig this saturday and I need to get 11-52 strings on my new RR5.

The thing is, i've never adjusted the truss rod before, and people here told me I had to do that or i would damage the guitar.

I'm pretty worried because i can't afford a setup. (they would take 50$ and i already owe my dad money) so I don't know. Don't really wanna f'ck up my new guitar..
why didnt you get the shop to do a free setup when you bought the guitar?

i wouldn't suggest doing it unless you actually know what you're doing. it can seriously damage your guitar. its not hard to learn to do, but you really should be shown by a skilled person how to properly do it...

could you possibly borrow a guitar from a friend that plays in those tunings?
Is the truss rod already adjusted for standard tuning?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by canihasbucket
Is that necessary for drop tuning?

for drop c it is. not so much for drop d, since there's next to no difference.

its more that the tension will have changed (new string guage, and it not being up to standard) in the drop c tuning that'll require the guitar to be set up again.
i play my Eclipse- II in all three tunings (standard, drop D, Drop C) and i havent really noticed any problems, and my friend has a really cheap RR and he changes it from standard to drop A# to Drop C to Drop D? doesnt really sound bad
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
you usually dont see the problem though until its too late. my '89 squier could handle Drop Bb to standard with just 10s without getting noodley strings at all, but the neck started to warp after 2-3 years of doing this. after fixing this problem, i keep it in just one tuning now.

the problem usually isnt string buzz or whatever, its wood damage. if you really want, you could probably get away with it using 10s to tune that for the gig. (assuming that you already have 10 on there now - if its 9s or less, dont even think of doing this). just dont keep it that way for too long. tune it the night before, leave it, tune in morning, then a few hours before the show retune again. your strings will have adjusted to the new tension in that amount of time and should hold the tuning well enough. after the show, tune back to whatever you were set up to.
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 18, 2010,
sorry to jack the thread for a sec, do you think it would be bad if i left it in drop D?
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Truss Rod adjustment.... drop tuning?

What??

I'm sorry, but I haven't needed to adjust my truss rod on either of my guitars, and I will go from playing in E# standard all the way down to A flat standard. This hasn't done anything to either of them - I haven't needed a setup at all. I use 11-54 Ernie Balls.

They work fine for any tuning, provided action is low enough.
Quote by Dengeki_
Truss Rod adjustment.... drop tuning?

What??

I'm sorry, but I haven't needed to adjust my truss rod on either of my guitars, and I will go from playing in E# standard all the way down to A flat standard. This hasn't done anything to either of them - I haven't needed a setup at all. I use 11-54 Ernie Balls.

They work fine for any tuning, provided action is low enough.

I agree with this. I think truss rod adjustment is over-recommended, but in the end TS, whatever you feel comfortable with. Just do it, and see how it feels to you. If it feels fine, then it's fine. If not, the internet is a vast resource - minimal effort on your part can yield amazing results in the how-to-setup area. It's really not that difficult at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I agree with this. I think truss rod adjustment is over-recommended, but in the end TS, whatever you feel comfortable with. Just do it, and see how it feels to you. If it feels fine, then it's fine. If not, the internet is a vast resource - minimal effort on your part can yield amazing results in the how-to-setup area. It's really not that difficult at all.

But i'm a bit scared haha ... I'm so scared i will f*ck it up..
You can't. You don't need to be so scared. Your guitar isn't made out of china glass - they're really not that sensitive at all. There's no way you can "**** up your guitar" by putting on bigger strings. You might need some slight adjustment, but even if you don't do the adjustments, there's no physical way that doing that will **** it up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
just put those strings on, tune it down, and check the neck.
Then adjust until the neck has a small relief, only adjust the thrustrod by a quarter turn a time.

Thrustrod adjustments CAN/WILL make your guitar play easier and notes will ring out better.

oh and don't forget to intonate when you change tunings, a lot of people don't do this, which results in chords and solos always sounding out of tune.
Orange Enthousiast.