Well I've been playing guitar for a while now. One problem still plagues me tho. When I bend, say, the G-string up a whole step, my fingers and the g-string also push up the d-string, which ends up overlapping the a-string. When the g-string bend is then released, the d-string naturally also loses tension. When this happens the d-string grabs hold of the a-string and causes it to vibrate, making for unwanted noise. It's not a blatant noise, just that bass thump. I kind of thought that with string bend practice practice practice, that this would go away. Unfortunately it hasn't. Even when I use my palm to mute the bass strings, there is still unwanted noise.

The only "sort of" remedy is to slowly bend and slowly release, but sometimes this just isn't an option. After some web scouring and questioning others, I was turned on to a Vai technique where only the third and second fingers are used for bending. The first finger was supposed to be used for string muting, but again, string muting isn't the fix. The only thing I have found to work somewhat is to use this technique but rather flatten down the d-string with the first finger so that it slides under the a-string when doing a g-string bend. However, I know that "pros" don't require this silly adjustment and I want to get past it myself. Any thoughts, pointers, tips, or others who are also experiencing this problem?

As an aside, I use Ernie Ball slinkys and have an Epi G-400 with EMGs.
P.S. Hope I posted this in the correct forum.
Thanks
Um..all I can think of is using the "plough" technique using that first finger, but you've already tried that..

Can you explain better?
Well I was trying to not write a whole book on the subject ^ lest I would prolly figure it out myself. Basically, when bending, the non played string is pushed out of the way, but instead of going below (closer to the fretboard) the next lowest (A) string, it goes above it. When the g string bend is released, the D string, because it went on top of the a-string, instead of closer to the fretboard, the d string grabs the a string and causes a bass thump.
Action is pretty low. When fretting at the 12th, can't fit even the tip of my pick between strings and any higher frets. Basically just a page or two of paper. My first thought was to adjust the bridge saddles. My basic conclusion however is that I just got to get the "d" string suppressed so that it slides well under the a string when bending up the g string. Was kinda hoping for some kind of technique I might have over looked which would make this easier.
Well, I was kind of using the g string as an example because of its position on the fretboard, but the same thing happens when bending the high e string as well. With headphones on, the b string makes a less noticeable click on the g string when the high e string bend is released. Obviously I can't bend down the high e.
um... this may sound like an idiotic statement, but I think the problem is you're bending your string farther than you're supposed to. If you're bending it 1/3rd of the width of the fretboard on a full bend, there's something wrong (if you do the math, to bend a G, so that you also bend the D all the way to the A, you've bent the G nearly to the A, which is 1/3rd of the fretboard roughly). I can never see why you would bend the string so far that the string next to it is bent over the string 2 down from your original bend other than you're over-doing it.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
i don't know what kind of guitar you are using onemanarmy, but everyone I have ever played, in order to do a full step bend on the g string, i have to push the d and a strings out of the way.
Basically, again, I have to work on the fretting/bending lead finger so that it puts the adjacent string (D) beneath the next lowest string (A). That way I still got the index to anchor for pulloffs and such. I know a lot of people that use the index to mute tho. I dunno. The trials and tribulations of learning guitar...
You need to mute the A and D strings with your right hand as well as your 1st finger on your left hand at the same time to minimize noise. It's probably not possible to mute it all the way though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've had this problem before, and I know it frustrated the HELL out of me. It might be your guitar. Try to bend on other guitars, and you may find your solution. Turns out my nut was uneven and the strings were all wacked out height-wise. Other than that, raise your action and mute higher towards the nut. That's all I can think of
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.