would it be possible to change a humbucker into a single coil or better yet be able to wire in a switch that would let you change it back and forth?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Yeah it's called coil splitting and some humbuckers come pre-set up to do that

EDIT: Google gave me this, and it seems to explain things better than I am willing to lol

http://www.smitspickups.com/coiltapping.htm
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Aug 17, 2010,
alright, awesome, how would i go about doing this?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
yeah you need a humbucker with 4-conductor cable wire
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
If your pup came ready for coil splitting, there should be two wires that come off of it that are just stuck together and seemingly don't go to anything. Pop a switch between them and presto. I did it with a SD and it was very simple and yielded a decent sound. However, I'm not sure how to go about splitting a bucker that's not originally set up to be split...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
well couldn't i just open it up and put a switch going to one of the coils and that would pretty much do it?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by grungebaby
well couldn't i just open it up and put a switch going to one of the coils and that would pretty much do it?

No. You are thinking too hard on the subject. It's really quite simple to coil tap. Most humbuckers come with 4 wires anyways, so just look at some schematics online and follow the directions. Or post this question in the Ultimate Wiring Thread.

edit: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006

here's the link. They should hook you up with everything you would need to know.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at Aug 17, 2010,
this one doesn't have 4 wires that i know of and its just a cheap yamaha strat knock off
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
If your humbucker only has 2 wires, see Invader Jim's tutorial. You can find it in the GB&C Hub thread, which is linked in my sig. That method is a little involved, but it works. If you don't want to tear into your pickup, a similar affect to single coil can be achieved using your tone pot, an inductor, a cap, and a resistor.
yeah it doesn't make much difference to me about tearing into it, i got it for like 20 bucks and also i want the full blown single coil, hum and all haha
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Don't kid yourself, you don't want hum. But I also did a tut. I didn't know Jim did one before I made mine haha. It's not that hard to do pickup surgery, you just have got to be careful, those wires in there are tiny. Oh, also, if your pickup is covered, I recomend lifting the wire from the coil that usually goes to ground (but then of course putting a seperate ground wire for the case) if you're going to do any phase switching or series wiring.
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Aug 18, 2010,
I have this on 2 of my guitars.
single, hum, parallel, out of phase.

MmmMmMm mmmm tasty.

push pulls, or switches?

switches.
alright i did it, now i have severe bad volume loss when i run it clean, what can i do to fix that?

oh and i've already sheilded the pickgaurd so any hum doesn't kick in till like 8/13 master on my amp so i'm good there.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Last edited by grungebaby at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
The pups have nothing to do with amp distortion. Essentially it's the same signal going into the amp, just the amp changing it.
Hmmmm. I respectfully disagree. Hot pickups can push a preamp to distort at lower volume, which can be very tasty.
erm i never said anything about the pup changing the distortion, just when its switched to single coil and my amps set to clean i can't hear anything
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by cedricsmods
Hmmmm. I respectfully disagree. Hot pickups can push a preamp to distort at lower volume, which can be very tasty.

ahh I see. I was thinking of it more as, no matter what the settings on the amp are, the signal coming out of the pickups will be the same.
yes i know but i can crank it on clean and won't here a thing but when i switch it to a distortion channel its not even half the loss, it could just be the crappy amp though.

P.S. that reminded me of the song Creep by STP
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15