Will using permanent marker damage a guitar's paint/finish?

And what are some cool ways to customize the look of a guitar? The one I have in mind doesn't have a pickguard btw.
Yes, it will leave a <insert color of marker> mark on the finish that will be very difficult to get off

Some of the chemicals in some markers could (and probably will) leak into the finish and permanently damage/discolor the finish or the paint, yes. I've never tried it though, I respect my guitars' "natural beauty" so I've never thought of taking a Sharpie to one.
Quote by Nirvana00125
And what are some cool ways to customize the look of a guitar? The one I have in mind doesn't have a pickguard btw.

Get an awesome strap for one. A different color strap changes the whole look of the guitar. Trust me.

Or you could Paint it a different color. Use STICKERS. Letters/words on it (ie: Tom Morello). Or logos or designs. Write on your guitar with a DryErase marker that you can customize daily ! Get different color pups. (Check out the options on this for example: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup-302040-i1127610.gc )

These are just a few minor (besides for the pup change and painting) options.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Lol I've been looking for stickers i just don't know where to get those super sticker ones that stay on for a long time lol. Other than from bands at shows lol.
Quote by Nirvana00125
Lol I've been looking for stickers i just don't know where to get those super sticker ones that stay on for a long time lol. Other than from bands at shows lol.

Those will do more damage to the finish than a Sharpie. Either way you'll be sanding and polishing when you don't want them anymore.
Quote by MonsterRob
Those will do more damage to the finish than a Sharpie. Either way you'll be sanding and polishing when you don't want them anymore.

I found that when removing permanent marker a regular eraser gets the job done quite well.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
They contain alcohol. I dont know if that can harm the finish.

I painted my pups with a grey marker one year ago and most of it is gone tho. So I'm not pretty sure how much it would last in spot that you actually touch a lot (guitar-talking).

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
You want to use water slide decals only. Easy on, easy off, cheap at staples, last forever.

Don't use stickers, or market (cringe)

Heres water slide decals

Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 18, 2010,
well i dont think sharpies are al that dangerous as long as youre commited to the look you choose. i outlined my pickguard on a solid black guitar(pickguard and all) with a silver sharpie then a second layer with a pro art quality gold metalic marker. still looks sexy. but +1 on the water decals. stuckers will eventually make a mess. and dont let anykind of marker touck actual unfinnished wood on your guitar because its like putting water on toilet paper. it will sink in then spread and raise all kinds of hell.
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Please don't colour in your guitar, you'll regret it.
(And this time next year when you post a thread titled "how to remove Sharpie", I'll be sat saying "told you so")
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
you can use tape and cut it into what you want, but don't use duct tape, use painters tape of masking tape with sharpie on the tape.

EDIT: and don't for the love of Satan, cut the tape while it's on the guitar.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at Aug 18, 2010,
Depends on whether you plan on keeping it or selling it down the road and also if your a guitarist or a collector that plays guitar...if you are totally sold out to playing and you wanna personalize your guitar do it with whatever you want man,if you love the way it plays and sounds it shouldn't matter much if theirs a "paint flaws" or whatever....just my 2 cents

Edit-since joining this board I've learned that I'm the only person on earth that loves beat down guitars lol now I know why I had such a har time selling my 82 LP custom
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by rdobson2
Depends on whether you plan on keeping it or selling it down the road and also if your a guitarist or a collector that plays guitar...if you are totally sold out to playing and you wanna personalize your guitar do it with whatever you want man,if you love the way it plays and sounds it shouldn't matter much if theirs a "paint flaws" or whatever....just my 2 cents

Edit-since joining this board I've learned that I'm the only person on earth that loves beat down guitars lol now I know why I had such a har time selling my 82 LP custom

Basically what he said.

But the second part's not entirely true lol. I know tons of people who love beat up LPs, they all just have no money to afford one.
I did this to my cheap BC Rich Wartribe once:

It was a little "gimmick" for a live show! Afterwards I removed it all and the finish was fine. Sold the guitar some months later ^^

....kind of regret selling it though! It was my first guitar

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3