I bought a used guitar and wasn't able to play it through an amp. The volume pot feels good, but the level never changes. Is this a pot problem or could it be a wiring issue?
thats cool.
personally, the volume is always up on mine...I'm always playing...and its always LOUD!
Im not totally sure what your getting at, but maybe the previous owner bypassed the pot because he doesnt bother with changing the volume?
Quote by Down&Out
Im not totally sure what your getting at, but maybe the previous owner bypassed the pot because he doesnt bother with changing the volume?

I doubt that, there are new wires going to the volume pot. lemme check my camera I'll post a pic.
I hope this helps. I'm guessing all the yellow wires aren't stock. Should I tare out that spagetti mess and start over? And test the pots while I'm at it?

And the lump of solder at the the top of the volume pot has no wires going to it.
Attachments:
CIMG0159-4.jpg
Last edited by MonsterRob at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by polishedbullet
That looks....bad. I'm no soldering expert but those solders on the pot look really shoddy. If I were you I'd get new pots and rewire it.

I could prolly knock off all that crap on the pots and test them. The volume feels OK, the tone seems free. Neither has any scratchyness(is that a word? lol). So...you agree the SD diagram is how it should be?
I can't really make it out that much, but it looks as if somebody rewired it (using yellow wire) and did a pretty sloppy job. Probably doesn't matter much to them, they knew what it was and it works apparently, so ...

Most of the yellow wire is ground, and the volume pot is wired properly, as is the tone. I'd have to guess it's just a bad pot or something. You'd probably be best just rewiring it all (and doing a neat job!).

The lump of solder on the back of the pot is just ground, don't worry about that.

I'm not sure how the switch is wired (mainly because I don't know what the pickups are) but it's not stock. It looks like it was rewired to make it into a toggle or something. It's hard to make out. Either that or it's going to the back of the tone pot, which I doubt because I don't think you'd have any sound at all if that was the case.

If you need help with rewiring, figure out what pickups you have so I can find the color codes to it.

EDIT: the volume pot is wired 'backwards', going into the third lug and out the second (I was looking at it the wrong way) so, yeah.

But I think you should get all new electronics anyway, and have a fresh start.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Last edited by ice condition at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by james4
looks like the volume pot's wired to do...nothing at all

I vote rewire

That's what I figured, after looking at this mess. Would you agree that I only need to rewire the two pots, jack, and right side of the 5way switch?
Quote by ice condition
I can't really make it out that much, but it looks as if somebody rewired it (using yellow wire) and did a pretty sloppy job. Probably doesn't matter much to them, they knew what it was and it works apparently, so ...

Most of the yellow wire is ground, and the volume pot is wired properly, as is the tone. I'd have to guess it's just a bad pot or something. You'd probably be best just rewiring it all (and doing a neat job!).

The lump of solder on the back of the pot is just ground, don't worry about that.

I'm not sure how the switch is wired (mainly because I don't know what the pickups are) but it's not stock. It looks like it was rewired to make it into a toggle or something. It's hard to make out. Either that or it's going to the back of the tone pot, which I doubt because I don't think you'd have any sound at all if that was the case.

If you need help with rewiring, figure out what pickups you have so I can find the color codes to it.

EDIT: the volume pot is wired 'backwards', going into the third lug and out the second (I was looking at it the wrong way) so, yeah.

But I think you should get all new electronics anyway, and have a fresh start.

It's a Washburn with a HSH config. Pups are 421-412-423 neck to bridge. I believe that side of the 5way is correct, as are the pup connections.?.?
Like I said, I can't see it, I don't know what's what on the switch.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
Like I said, I can't see it, I don't know what's what on the switch.

The spring side of the switch is correct are far as I can tell. If we use the naming...bottom (B) and top (T), and 1-4 (neck to bridge).
B side is.
B1-bridge pup
B2-mid pup
B3-neck pup
B4-jumped to T1

T1-jumped to B4 and volume pot position 1(left)
T2-nothing
T3-jumped to T4
T4-jumped to T3 and to center tone
Last edited by MonsterRob at Aug 19, 2010,
Yep.
Just make sure you use the right wire color codes for whatever pickups you have.
Quote by Steve46

IMO, that def was tampered with cluelessly. Start again. Good luck, sorry u got the shaft, yll come wiser , which is good for u, and yr gtr playing pals. Elec gtrs are fairlybsimple
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the pups weren't messed with up to the 5way. I'll get rid of the yellow wires and start over.

Thanks agian for the help.
If the pickups are fine, just move the wire that goes from the switch to the pot from the 3rd lug to the 1st lug of the volume pot & you should be all set.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by Khriss Bliss
IMO, that def was tampered with cluelessly. Start again. Good luck, sorry u got the shaft, yll come wiser , which is good for u, and yr gtr playing pals. Elec gtrs are fairlybsimple

WTF??? lol. I payed $100 for it and it plays great. Only problem is it won't turn off. Don't think I got shafted. I prolly could've got it cheaper tho.
Last edited by MonsterRob at Aug 20, 2010,
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Was all those yellow wires really needed? I was told the local music store(great rep) did the work. But the set up was crap, and now I know the wiring is shit too.

So move the wire from the switch to the pot terminal that has nothing going to it.? I just want to make sure I have it right.
I fixed it today. Moved that tone wire to the pot, I also realized the volume pot wasn't grounded. It works great now. Thanks again for all your help.
late post is very late but ask wiring questions in the wiring thread. people know what they are doing in there so you get knowledgable answers and no bullshit posts.