A few of my friends and I have decided we want to learn Krav Maga. Unfortunately, there are no local trainers in our area. Do any of you know a good way to learn it without a trainer? I've ordered a book, but I'm open to suggestions. We've also decided we don't want to spend $100+ on a DVD set.
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon
Last edited by pwnagegnome at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by guylee
Krav Maga is expensive and only applicable if you want to kill. Learn Combat Hapkido.

I think not.
Frankly I don't think you'll be able to apply much of what you learn about martial arts in a book or a DVD. It seems like one of those things that you need an instructor and proper facilities for.
youtube?

Also I think Human Weapon or Fight Quest(or both) had rather good episodes on it
can I ask you why you trying to learn it? is it for self defense?
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Haha yeah Krav Maga is one of the most brutal and cruel martial arts. Your goal is to cause your opponent as much pain as necessary in order to subdue them.

I don't think you'll get the full experience from just dvds, unless you guys spar eachother. Then you're going to need to invest in sparring gear, as well.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Quote by Outerspacegrass
can I ask you why you trying to learn it? is it for self defense?

Primarily, but I think it would be good exercise as well.
Quote by Shazazmic
Haha yeah Krav Maga is one of the most brutal and cruel martial arts. Your goal is to cause your opponent as much pain as necessary in order to subdue them.

I don't think you'll get the full experience from just dvds, unless you guys spar eachother. Then you're going to need to invest in sparring gear, as well.

I agree. you need to spar, with gear. You just need to get used to the feel of fighting, develop good reflexes, develop endurance, and learn how to take a hit (even if its in gear). I would start with basic boxing techniques 1st, then add the krav maga strikes to your arsenal later on. Definately get a punching bag. Wrestling/ grapping is a huge part of fighting so practice that too (wrestling / bjj/ or judo).

You might get some DVDs, and they will show you some worthless setpiece defenses ( for example, one guy punches really slow, and the other guy does some tricky shit) this is not very helpful in a real fight. You need to practice everything at 100% speed. Also, learn to use palm attacks cause its really easy to break your knuckle against someone's skull or teeth.

Finally, learn some muay thai kicks. with enough practice a good muy thai roundhouse kick is almost like of carrying 2 baseball bats around with you everywhere you go.
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
I don't think a lot of the people know the principles behind krav maga. It was based around providing the maximum amount of coverage with the minimum amount of training. It's is a fantastic excercise regime and unlike what a lot of people have said it isn't just about destroying/killing people.

One of hte key principles behind krav maga is that you come out on top, no matter what the situation but a lot of these involve simple takedowns that are far more apllicable in a self defense enviroment that traditional martial arts, for example karate.

There are multiple takedowns avaliable designed to cause maximum impact as quickly as possible, stunning or incapacitating your attacker as quickly as possible. This has been proven time and time again in police style enviroments to prove less damaging than other combat systems. The primary reason for this is that one move subdues to attacker rather than a struggle which statistically is far more likely to cause damage such as broken limbs, internal injurys and other various traumas.

As for learning it without guidance, it is possible, there are several good books available from Darren Levine who was trained as an instructer by Imi Lichtenfeld, the systems founder. These books cover all the basics and give you methods to practice it with freinds etc. However the trully is no alternative to a session with a qualified instructors guidance.

Unlike a martial art however it truly is at it's prime when it is a fight for survival, it was designed as an active system for real combat, unlike martial arts that are far more artistic and have elements as much for show as it is for sport rather than defense.

Hope that helped a little.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
I very much appreciate the two above threads, thanks guys.