So im transferring colleges. My last school was a shitstorm of wasted time and money for being a music major.

Im transferring to Felician, but I need to do somewhat of a tryout, as theyre music program is new and theyve bever actually had a bass player and I would be the 1st, getting a $10,000 scholarship for it. Only problem is, I dont know what to perform. She doesnt know a "repertoire" for bass, as im the 1st.

Im completely lost as what to play. I play so much metal that my style is based into that, yet I cant sit there at a somewhat roman catholic college and play Obscura or Cannibal Corpse and stuff like that. Just would seem good to do right away.

But what to play, what to play. Ive already decided on a jazz piece, but the bassline repeats and im only going to be doing about 30 seconds of it. What else is there for me to play so that I can show my talents, yet not be all obnoxious with my brutal metal \m/

Thanks.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
play some stuff by marcus miller
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
play some SMV
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Stu Hamm?
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Donna Lee-Jaco Pastorius
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Viridian
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco Pastorius
well, originally by Bach. That was actually my ignorance on the part

I can't find any good videos of him doing it, so this will do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rIfFlTeF8
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Aug 18, 2010,
ITT: people who do not go to music school.

just any standard will do. i would recommend something in three like "someday my prince will come"

three is the time sig in jazz in which bass is most free to groove. but you also need to do something in four. perhaps just a really basic tune. like "s'posin'"

i have a lead sheet if you want (in treble clef). that's another thing, if you want to be a real jazz bassist, learn to read treble. you can get one volume of the real book in bass clef, but when your bandleader gives you sheets (and when you have your own books) they're going to be in treble.

the changes are pretty simple and the melody isn't too complex. it's hardly bop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPKfyTJKpE

they play at bop tempo here. just keep it at a medium swing for your purposes. also play a latin tune maybe. "how insensitive" maybe.

auditions/juries at my school are pretty laid back. but the standard form is (for us bassists) is to go in and play the melody for a chorus, walk the changes for a chorus, do a solo for a chorus and then take the melody out.

edit: pick whatever you want, man. they'll take you anyway. but if you want to impress them, do the kinda things i recommended. if you play primus, jaco pastorious or BTBAM you're definitely going to have to work hard to get on their good list. most music schools would take an audition like that as a joke at best, and as an insult to them and the repertoire at worst.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Aug 18, 2010,
If they've never had a bass player, how well can they teach you on bass?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Jazz. Play something Jazzy. Jazz and classical are the two biggest genres for music school. Since there isn't really much classical music for a bass guitar, I'd suggest jazz.
A jazz standard would probably be your best bet. Try to pick something where you can display proficiency in multiple styles, such as swing, bossa nova, etc. and show you can walk a bass line. Even if you don't like jazz, it will probably be the majority of what you play in college.

How Insensitive and Someday My Prince Will Come were great suggestions, also look at Blue Bossa, Autumn Leaves and All The Things You Are. Those are pretty easy to create your own versions of. A Jaco tune would be impressive, as well, obviously.

Avoid anything modal or else you'll just be walking one groove over and over again and jamming a bit.
Take a cello concerto, tune your bass like a cello, transcribe, and alter to show off bassing more than celloing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I would play some Atheist, especially because Roger Patterson simply was an amazing bassist, not to mention, VERY jazz influenced.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Aug 18, 2010,
You're going to a college for bass that doesn't know bass repertoire? Are you sure you want to do that?
Quote by RBM01991
I would play some Atheist, especially because Roger Patterson simply was an amazing bassist, not to mention, VERY jazz influenced.

He is amazing, but colleges don't want to hear technical death metal, no matter how jazz influenced.

Also, I agree with gibsonpenguin. How can the bass instructor not even have any suggestions of what to play? That sounds very, very strange to me.
I'd go with CC, as it will show how good you actually are, just say it's a composition by Alex Webster.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Jazz standards all the way.

On a random note.. I don't think I've ever heard or played Someday My Prince in F. Every other time I've seen it it's been in Bb except one singer who wanted us to play it in C for her voice range...
Quote by rgrockr
If they've never had a bass player, how well can they teach you on bass?

they arent teaching me bass. theyre teaching me theory, as i aspire to become a music teacher.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
I play so much metal ...

Stick with what you know.

Metal will make you very proficient at Classical or Baroque music if you tried it. Also Jazz might be accessible to you (though improvisation is NOT a strength in metal AT ALL.)

I would look at some classical or jazz pieces that could demonstrate your proficiency on the bass while drawing from the music you're already good at - metal.

It's arguable that the first "metal" was Beethoven, and it's a strong argument. Don't know if I buy it, but "DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUHHHH!!!" is pretty damned metal.

Look for something pizzicato. You're probably a master of that already.

Good luck!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
(though improvisation is NOT a strength in metal AT ALL.)

Um, most Metal players have at least studied basic blues or Jazz. Therefore, improv isn't too hard for them. They just rarely improv outside of the concert setting.

At OP: I recommend something like an old hymn. Or maybe a cello piece transposed to bass. (It's not like you'd really have to rework the tunings, as you'd just play off the sheet music.) But don't be over complex OR overly simplistic.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um, most Metal players have at least studied basic blues or Jazz. Therefore, improv isn't too hard for them. They just rarely improv outside of the concert setting.

Seeing as how the thread-poster is not a PROFESSIONAL musician in a metal band, we can assume that he/she has mostly studied metal whose strengths are:

technique and theoretical foundation

but whose weaknesses most definitely are a lack of improvisation.

Metal just does not lend itself to improv.

Play Scarified.

/thread.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
they arent teaching me bass. theyre teaching me theory, as i aspire to become a music teacher.

Wait, you're going to college to become a music teacher but they're not even giving you private lessons on your primary instrument? You should perhaps reconsider your choices. I'm becoming a music teacher too, majoring in music education, but at every school I've heard of, every type of music major gets lessons on their instrument.
Quote by COBHC_Erick429

If you're a music major, wouldn't theory only be part of the curriculum?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Wait, you're going to college to become a music teacher but they're not even giving you private lessons on your primary instrument? You should perhaps reconsider your choices. I'm becoming a music teacher too, majoring in music education, but at every school I've heard of, every type of music major gets lessons on their instrument.

Hell, at every school I've seen, lessons are mandatory.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Get a recording of the melody from "All the Things You Are" Get a chord sheet. Improvise. Done.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
No one has mentioned RHCP yet. Flea has some pretty cool bass lines.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
Quote by fender-lespaul
No one has mentioned RHCP yet. Flea has some pretty cool bass lines.

I'm sorry, but professors at the music college are not pre-pubescent boys at Guitar Center.

If you're going that route, why not play "Anesthesia, Pulling Teeth," the quintessential "I have been playing for two weeks and my Mom said my new underpants fit pretty good" song?