Is this normal considering the thickness of the string and low action? The note is still capable of ringing out but there's a little buzzing along with it. Would this affect the sustain or the sound? I'd want to take the action higher if that's the case

Oh and this is without using an amp
Last edited by sealtain at Aug 18, 2010,
Plug it into an amp to see if it buzzes through the amp first. If it does, then you may want to consider increasing the action just a little, or you may need a neck adjustment or even a fret re-file. Just depends.
Quote by Zappo
did you recently changed your strings?

Yeah, I got it setup last saturday

Quote by X V l l
Plug it into an amp to see if it buzzes through the amp first. If it does, then you may want to consider increasing the action just a little, or you may need a neck adjustment or even a fret re-file. Just depends.

Nope, it doesn't buzz when it's plugged in. I'm playing without my amp now because I'm trying to tab out a song and it's the first time I've noticed it since the setup
Quote by sealtain
Nope, it doesn't buzz when it's plugged in. I'm playing without my amp now because I'm trying to tab out a song and it's the first time I've noticed it since the setup

Then I wouldn't really worry. Most guitars (in my experience) will buzz a little when not plugged into an amp, unless they've been meticulously set up (truss rod adjusted, individual string action set up, nut filed or replaced, frets filed or Plek'd, etc..). It could be an indication of things to come, but again, in my experience, it pretty much never means anything. Just take note that it does it, and if it gets worse, or you can start to hear the buzzing through the amp, then you should either have it checked out, or use an online resource to evaluate it yourself and pinpoint where the buzzing is coming from and what's causing it.