So, I have been thinking of perhaps changing things up tonewise. I love my 6505+, but really it is a one trick pony of sorts. You can do quite alot with it, but I do do alot of covers and different genres besides metal and was wondering if this would be a good alternative. I play in a metal band as well, so I would still need some good high gain tones, and from all my research it seems the Valve can still pull it off quite nicely. Thoughts?

And please no flaming on the spider sucks and all that, this is for the Spider valve, which is a completely different beast than the SS series of amps.

Thanks!!
Id suggest against it.
If you have good funding, id just recommend selling the 6505 and upgrading to a Mesa Single or Dual-Rec or at least getting a decent Marshall as they can cover a variety.
Valves are better than the old Spiders, but there are still much better choices.
Last edited by Shustermeister at Aug 18, 2010,
spend some time with a spider valve and listen to its tones VERY carefully. A good 75% of guitarists grow to hate it very quickly and some go so far as to compare it to the SS spiders. Obviously theres a chance that you might absolutely adore it, and if so, thats the only thing that matters. But this is dangerous territory and its not worth taking a risk with that amount of money
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
My friend has one and i've borrowed it to play gigs and jammed with him extensively, and it's a no go area, seriously.

You honestly wouldn't know it had valves in it IMO, and at high volumes the high gain models sound terrible. The mid gain settings are weak and brittle sounding. The only thing it does ok is cleans (which are average in comparison to proper 'clean' amps) but it doesn't handle pedals very well...

I'd say get an amp with a good sounding clean channel, like a Laney VC50, and put a distortion pedal in the front for your metal sounds. The laney can cover most genres other than metal by itself.
THIS IS THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK!!!!
Ibanez RG1550 w/ BKP nailbombs
Aria Magna series w/ Dimarzio SD
Blackstar HT 5
Fender FM210R
Ibanez DE7
Keeley/Boss BD2
Line 6 floor pod
Why is that the only amp you are considering changing to? I understand your desire to change but why that particular one?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 18, 2010,
I had one.

Loved it for a week and moved on very quickly once I turned it up.

Get a mesa or laney for versatility x x x

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Cathbard
Why is that the only amp you are considering changing to? I understand your desire to change but why that particular one?

Was liking the fact that it also had recording capabilities. I may look into other amps as well, but I was considering that one at first but it appears that it may not be quite what I had thought it was. Would a GT-8 using the four cable method work good for this sort of thing maybe? I had rented one for a month and thought it was a great pedal......just trying to maximize my versitility, withoug breaking my bank account, know what I mean?
Meh. Pedals never work as well. They are great for effects, tweaking etc, but it will not make your amp another amp.

Again, look at something like a carvin V3 or peavey JSX. You can sell you're 6505 and pick up one of those without really losing any money.

I wouldn't set much store by recording outs etc. Bells and whistles are the last thing to consider, and in any case, there is no substitute for a properly micced amp.
Quote by denied
Bells and whistles are the last thing to consider, and in any case, there is no substitute for a properly micced amp.

+1

....The Spider Valve is better than the normal Spiders, it still sucks balls though in my opinion.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
+1

....The Spider Valve is better than the normal Spiders, it still sucks balls though in my opinion.

That is pretty much how I felt. I think it would be OK for a bedroom guitarist just starting out but would be a serious downgrade from what you have now. The only modeler I like in this price range is the Vypyr 60 or 120 head. In the next price bracket up you are in AXE FX and Vetta territory. I really have no idea how the Vypyrs handle recording though.

Which 6505 do you have specifically? I gotta Line 6 UX1 with Pod Farm and a Shure SM57 and that is a great little set up.

In addition to some of the Laneys maybe look at the Egnater Tweaker and Renegade in addition to what denied said.

what is your top end budget for amp and recording gear and what is your closest major city?
+1 to what has been said here. When I tried a MK I Spider Valve I was expecting big things, but after playing if several times I always come away with the same feeling. It's just a bigger, louder, more expensive Spider with better low end. Not worth it in the long run.
Well, I live in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island , Canada. I would imagine with selling the head and some extra cash I could muster up about 1000$ bucks.

I guess what ideally I would like is to have high gains, mid gains, and cleans, but I also like the idea of being able to record and have some effects to play with as well. Right now, band wise, we use pretty much all high gain fo all of our songs, but I tend to like to veer into other genres as well. The reason I was interested in the Valve was that I could do all those things with it, and still be able to use it at apartment levels. there is no way in hell I can get a good tone with my Peavey living where I am at, and I just find the Cube I have to be way to digital and not the best for tones.

And I did have a Valve 1X12 for a little while a couple of years ago when I had to get my Bugera's clip soldered, so I have some experience with them, as well as countless searching around youtube and the net. However, a band situation is something that I would need to use it for as well.
Apart from the low end issues with digital amps, I'd say that the Roland Cube actually sounds better than the Spider Valve.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If you're going down that road, the Vypyr Tube is considerably better than the Spider Valve. However if you have $1000 to play with there are definitely better options.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
A little over two years ago I got a Roland micro cube, traded it after a few weeks for a Line 6 Spider III 15w and then 9months later I got a Spider Valve MK I head. I thought it was awesome at first but as time passed I grew tired of it rather quickly. I bought a Boss GE-7 and that helped give it some definition and clarity but without it I felt like that amp was pretty crappy.

I don't recommend them because although they aren't completely terrible, you can use your money to buy something far better. A used Mesa single/dual rectifier would probably be great, you can find them at a great price searching music forums, ebay, craigslist, etc.

But yeah if you want modeling, the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 combo or 120 head are better than the spider.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by TheQuailman
Meh, if I was in your place, I'd sell the 6505 and try to find a used Mesa Mark III of IV combo.

+1. Whatever you do, TS, don't get a Spider. Of any sort. The valves do make it sound marginally better than a standard one, but not in any significant way. The larger Spiders are no more than oversized practice amps, so to downgrade to one would be silly. Look into the Peavey JSX, as well as the Mesas suggested above.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55