guys can u pls teach me how to solo on my own and yes i learned the pentatonic minor scales 5 positions but when i try to solo its like it doesnt match the song if u know what i mean at least give me tips wat i can do or a video or a forum thread that will teach me how to make my lead sound great with the rhythmtnx in advance
metalmanica\m/
Quote by CreepingDeath13
play in the same key as the rhythm, dude.

lol two thumbs up, straight to the point
The key is... key xD Once you've worked out the key, just play whatever sounds good, in that
agreed, i mean once your in the right key the possibilities for solos are endless. just find the right key make sure you know the scales for that key and just start letting it fly as long as you know the scales there should be nothing else to really worry about. your prolly just over thinking it i mean scales are pretty idiot proof
As loads of other people said, get the key of the song and then solo with the relevant scales.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
i know that ok anyways i mean yes i know u have to know the key but what i want to know is how will i make it sound more melodic my dad told me to start playing the solo with a root note and also end with the root note yes i get it but in slow songs i mean it sounds like im just following the scale if u know wat i mean i just need more tips to make it sound better
metalmanica\m/
Learn some pentatonic licks / solos . And if you want to play more melodicly i recommend learning the minor scale. It´s like the pentatonic but got a few more notes in it.
You can work out the key by taking a load of notes from a section, then working out which scale they're relevant to. Eg, if you notice 4 different sharps, then you can assume it's Emaj, or C#min. Unless there are other sharps you've not noticed. Best play around until it sounds right

I think. Now I look at it, I feel wrong. But I stand by it
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Incorperate bending and vibrato....vibrato is something every guitarist has that's different than anyone elses....learn hiow to use hammer ons and stuff like that also...just tricks of the trade bro...you'll get it eventually
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
yeah but i mean i wanna make an imrovised solo of smells like teen spirit the ending part ill improvise in that part i knows it its in the key of F i think all i can do is solo in the pentatonic scale and the octave of it plz give me tips on how to move up and down the fretboard or show me a vid of u doing it
metalmanica\m/
I start out by ear, and play along even if I'm getting half of the notes wrong. (I don't trust TABS when I don't have to because my hands are small, and they transcribe them in a possible, but more difficult way for my style.) I then go back through the solo, start at the beginning, and work out little details of the first couple bars or so. Then I go back in and practice that again, then move on to the next couple bars, going back through what I already did as well. Later in the solo, I start at the middle and move on instead. Then I practice... and practice... and practice... until I can do it through with relatively few mistakes.

I don't worry about bends and stuff like that until later. I focus on the basic notes and fill in the details later. Don't be afraid to practice certain sections of it at a slow pace. I often play along with the CD, but I pause and practice when I'm having trouble as well.

When I practice riffs and scales, it usually takes me several hours to get them without having to think about that. It helps me to practice various fingerings until I find the one that is most comfortable with me. (Sorry, I don't have a camera to record anything. )
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Aug 19, 2010,
I think, if you want to try and play up and down the fretboard, then it's just a case of mixing various positions. I can't really do it, so you might want to double check that xD
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by edumico1234
yeah but i mean i wanna make an imrovised solo of smells like teen spirit the ending part ill improvise in that part i knows it its in the key of F i think all i can do is solo in the pentatonic scale and the octave of it plz give me tips on how to move up and down the fretboard or show me a vid of u doing it

Its called linear lines man...look up yngwie malmsteens video "play loud" he does a lot of linear lines in all of his stuff...its hard to get used to man mostly because not a lot of people do it at least not too many mainsteam people,,you gotta think of scales of left to right instead of up and down,once you get the hang of it its not too difficult...but u say you know the pentatonic scale pretty good just use the whole neck man....if I were you I would take time to learn at least the natural minor scale (aka aeolan mode) its similar to the pentatonic but with 2 more notes so you'll have more notes to play around with..
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think