Hey guys,

I live in the UK. Went to a studio for the first time yesterday and recorded two originals and two covers. It would be great to make a small CD but I was wondering about copyright. Firstly, I presume the originals would jave to be copyrighted, how would this be done, second would it be ok to put covers on? I guess we may have to credit them or is it just a no.
My Gear
Guitars:
Encore E6 Blaster Series (My First Guitar, Great to learn on)
Jackson DK2S
Fender Squier Telecaster Custom
Amps:
BB10 10 Watt something or another...
60 Watt Marshall JCM 2000 TSL602
Effects:
Boss ME-50 Multi Effects Pedal
If you intend to sell them then you can't put covers on unless you get permission from the copyright owners.

About the originals, I guess you could just send a cd to yourself by recorded post and never open it.
Cool, thanks for the help dude, I guess that would eliminate the covers then as Sony or SOAD will probably be a no for permission! If I were to offer them for FREE download online it would be ok?
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Quote by parsons19
Hey guys,

I live in the UK. Went to a studio for the first time yesterday and recorded two originals and two covers. It would be great to make a small CD but I was wondering about copyright. Firstly, I presume the originals would jave to be copyrighted, how would this be done, second would it be ok to put covers on? I guess we may have to credit them or is it just a no.

Copyright itself refers to the rights of the creator.
Therefore since you created the music, even the covers, you hold the copyright to that recording. However, you are not licensed to use that recording without getting permission from the original copyright holder and/or paying royalties.
If the music is very old then the chances are there is no current copyright and is free to be used by all.
As long as you're not selling this music there is no problem.
Also, in the UK anything created is instantly copyrighted as soon as it is put into physical format. Therefore, a melody you write becomes copyrighted as soon as you put it into sheet music, film it, record it ect...
The problem with this is it is difficult to prove. I'd suggest asking the studio if they keep records of who recorded with them and when and if they keep the original tracks because that would be an easy way to proof date of creation (=
Hope this helped.
Brilliant, thanks for all your help guys, I will ask the studio and others to get more info
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects: