Hi, so recently i bought a new acoustic guitar and came in one night to find 2 small scratches on the body one which looks pretty deep going through the finish like a crack.

After polishing my guitar i noticed the woods darker on one side now so came to the conclusion that its a crack although its very small.
I'm just wondering if in the future it could lead to problems from dirt getting in and could the crack get bigger?
How might it affect the look and sound.
Can anyone give me advice

Thanks in advance.
at this point it shouldn't affect the sound. my concern is what caused the cracks - most guitars crack because it's too dry where they're kept. if that's true of your guitar, it will continue to crack.

are you using a hygrometer that you've tested to keep track of the humidity in the room where your guitar is?
Ive searched for other cracks and this ones different.
I don't think it was caused by heat but there are two small-sh scratches and one goes though the finish leaving the wood exposed type thing.
Is this a bad thing?
Quote by Scutt
Ive searched for other cracks and this ones different.
I don't think it was caused by heat but there are two small-sh scratches and one goes though the finish leaving the wood exposed type thing.
Is this a bad thing?

like the guy above you said take a hygrometer and keep track of humidity the average healthy humidity level for a guitar is between 48% and 55%
Quote by fenderfreak100
like the guy above you said take a hygrometer and keep track of humidity the average healthy humidity level for a guitar is between 48% and 55%

Not to question your judgment, but that is an absurdly narrow "healthy" tolerance. Anything between 20 and 80% is unlikely to cause damage.

But I'm skeptical that the environment was even the cause, considering it cracked soon after it was bought (depending on what "recent" is, of course). What part of the world do you live in, and how long have you had the guitar, Scutt?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Aug 18, 2010,
Just say it has character. My guitar has many dings and scratches. Some scratches have gone through the finish and it hasn't done anything. Don't worry about it. But without pictures I couldn't say for certain. Maybe yours is serious.
The finishes used on modern guitars are prone to cracking; often the wood is not affected.
Such minor cracks in the finish are usually harmless.
If the wood itself is involved, the crack may spread. The usual repair method is to use a small patch on the inside of the instrument. Either regular wood glue or "superglue" can be used.
i know people whose guitars have developed cracks at between 30 and 20% humidity, and i've seen guitars swell a lot over 70%.

Bikewer - i disagree. if his guitar is within the warranty period, and if the manufacturer's recommended luthier finds that this is a warranty issue, Scutt might void his warranty by trying to do a fix himself. even if it's not under warranty, i'd take it to a luthier to take a peek and diagnose what caused the crack before messing with it.

if the guitar was a recent new purchase, call the manufacturer and describe the issue, then go from there, or if the guitar is within its return/exchange period, go to the store you bought it and exchange it.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Not to question your judgment, but that is an absurdly narrow "healthy" tolerance. Anything between 20 and 80% is unlikely to cause damage.

But I'm skeptical that the environment was even the cause, considering it cracked soon after it was bought (depending on what "recent" is, of course). What part of the world do you live in, and how long have you had the guitar, Scutt?

I have to agree with Patti and everyone else. the 40-50% range seems to be the ideal range, give or take a few %.

20 is extremely dry and old guitar suffered from that, and 80 is extremely humid.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Hehe....I haven't had a decent "New" guitar in so long I quite forgot about possible warranty claims.