Hey all.

So I'm going to London pretty soon and was just wondering what are the best guitar shops to go in?

Reason I ask in GG&A is because I know I will get a straight answer from you guys
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
well i went there recently and the best set of shops are situated on denmark street and there are shops there that sell a large variety of guitar gear, but i would personally recommend rose morris music store, most of the shops in that area have there advantages
Gear:

Jackson DKMG pro
Schecter omen exreme 7
Tanglewood Che Guivara mk.1
Brunswick electro acoustic

peavey 412ms
some rack stuff
Just walk down Denmark Street and go in them all, the whole street is full of them... Also if you turn left at the Tottenham Court Road end of Denmark street, and walk down towards Boarder's bookshop, you'll see another Guitar shop, that one's pretty good.

As for other guitar shops in different parts of London, I have no idea to be honest.

Keep in mind that things are pretty expensive down that street.

While you're there I'd recommend that you go in the one right at the end which is in alley way near the 12 Bar club, they have loads of vintage guitars and amps, really interesting walking looking in there if you're into stuff like that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
denmark street isn't that great- terrible prices, staff with bad attitude (exceptions being wunjo and vintage and rare). There's a lot of stuff, so it's worth going to try it, but you might get kicked out before too long if they think you're just trying

There are other shops a bit further out if you're going there for longer than a day trip.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I'm well looking forward to this trip now. Hopefully you might see another addition to my upcoming NGD soon
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
That is definatly true, Denmark Street is full of posers and gear snobs that talk down to you and stuff.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
^Erhh no, Denmark street is full of n00bs.

Quote by Dave_Mc
denmark street isn't that great- terrible prices, staff with bad attitude (exceptions being wunjo and vintage and rare). There's a lot of stuff, so it's worth going to try it, but you might get kicked out before too long if they think you're just trying

There are other shops a bit further out if you're going there for longer than a day trip.

The guys n gals at Vintage and Rare really know their stuff. Not the place to go and find br00tz metalz guitars though. Awesome for teh b00teekz and vintage gear.
Wunjo's is decent apart from the scottish bloke in there who is a complete arse...

Macaris has the worst staff in my experience. I once saw one of their employees go upto a bloke who had been trying an amp for about 10 minutes and go "so are you actually gonna buy it?"

Andertons in Guildford is decent, if you're a little more out the Surrey way or have time to visit slightly outside of London. Nice area too, maybe convince your parents to visit, theres plenty to do around there and some nice countryside.
Last edited by ze monsta at Aug 18, 2010,
I'm not just making it up mate, I've been down there on many occasion and found people in the shops acting like they're the dogs bollocks when they're probably not even in a band or anything.. That's not to say that there arn't noobs there too, ofcourse there are, it's a guitar shop.

Is Vintage & Rare the one that leads round to the back of the 12 Bar? If so, there's always some good shit in there.

I've never been to Anderton's, I'd really like to, I wanna try me a Chappers ML-1.
I was chilling in andertons the other day and saw that chappers guitar, but it was withsome tom andersons and suhrs so it kind of blurred away in my vision. But like that guy said andertons is a nice place with some really nice staff, most the time im in there i dont actually buy anything and the guys know that, but they don't really care, and they're good guys to talk to.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by FuzzLove
I'm not just making it up mate, I've been down there on many occasion and found people in the shops acting like they're the dogs bollocks when they're probably not even in a band or anything.. That's not to say that there arn't noobs there too, ofcourse there are, it's a guitar shop.

Is Vintage & Rare the one that leads round to the back of the 12 Bar? If so, there's always some good shit in there.

There are more newbies and people wondering around with no intention of buying anything but trying stuff out (like me) than real gear snobs. Gear snobs don't shop in denmark street (unless they're going to V+R).

but as was posted on TGP recently:
"There is just one category of musicians: the ones who play an instrument. Be it on a stage, in the bedroom, in the garden, etc."

and Not sure. But don't think so because V+R is number 6 and the 12 bar club is 26.
Haha fair enough, I don't blame you with the Tom Andersons around.

But the ML-1 looks like a really good deal for the money, I want a mahogony guitar, so I'm thinking of buying one and swapping out the bridge pick-up. It's just a shame that the only shop I can try them in is miles away.

It's always good to have a guitar shop with friendly staff who don't just try and force you to buy things - unlike some of the shops in Denmark Street.

EDIT: Maybe snobs was the wrong word, big-headed/cocky/pretentious is what I meant, there's alot of those down there.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Aug 18, 2010,
well if you take the plunge and come to andertons we'll meet up and have a pint
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by FuzzLove
Maybe snobs was the wrong word, big-headed/cocky/pretentious is what I meant, there's alot of those down there.

Those types of people are EVERYWHERE. But I have no idea what you mean. Never experienced anything like that with punters there, and I go there often.
I know Vintage & Rare is in the middle of Denmark street, but I think it's linked to the one down the road you guys are talking about (maybe they're both Vintage & Rare). Anyway that's my favourite there and the staff are real nice too. I got my Blackstar there. They had it as a display model so no boxes and I ended up getting a couple of sets of strings, the head and a cab for £275. If there's somewhere you need to go in Denmark Street it's Vintage & Rare.

As for other places in London, I don't know that there are any. A little off-topic but If you have your lunch in Denmark Street, I bet you'll have Chineese...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by ze monsta

The guys n gals at Vintage and Rare really know their stuff. Not the place to go and find br00tz metalz guitars though. Awesome for teh b00teekz and vintage gear.
Wunjo's is shite though. Theres this one irish (or maybe he's scottish?) bloke in there who is a complete arse...

he seemed scottish to me, i thought he was pretty nice, the instant i walked in he said I could try anything I wanted. After someone in another shop on denmark street actually asked me if I was buying right then, and saying I was putting off some other dude who was trying out some multi-fx at antisocial volume levels (while I was playing at as low a volume as I could, and I doubt he was any more likely to buy than I was), as far as I was concerned that meant he was nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When i went to Denmark Street, staff were terrible and prices were horrendous (an ESP m-200 for 500 quid anyone?! )

If your in west london,

visit Peter Cook's in Hanwell, its a small shop, but the staff are brilliant, they'll let you try out gear for however long you want, and will answer questions as much as they can, prices are relatively good aswell (i got my DK2M, for 350, with a lead and a full set up )

Also, try visit Chandler's Guitars, in Kew, near Kew Gardens, its a bigger shop than chandlers, and they stock hi end guitars, pedals and amps

hope that helped
wembley guitar centre is pretty good too, if you're able to go slightly further afield.

depends on how far you're willing to go. If it's a day trip you're probably talking denmark street.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the one round the corner that you are thinking of if probably Macarri's! there is a new macarri's shop in denmark street now, awsome shop, thats where they sell all the coloursound stuff. I think they made the there too...

vintage and rare is great, really friendly, but its like pr0n in there, i nearly blew a oad last time a visited. Wunjo's is great, i remember one guy being an absolute dick, but most peeps in there are really cool

and for if you wanna trek out of london, andertons is awsome, i have gotten lotsa stuff from there haha

edit: Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience in Kingston is great too, lots of vintage stuff in there, guitars and amps, nice pedals too, the staff are really friendly too
Last edited by jaybals at Aug 18, 2010,
Charlie Chandlers just over the river from Kingston (it's in Hampton Wck) is great, yeah. Love that place.

Quote by Dave_Mc
he seemed scottish to me

you're right. Me and a friend had an argument about whether he was scottish or irish the whole day after going in. I seem to recall that I was certain he was scottish, but I think my friend's idiocy rubbed off on me.

He tried to flog me a keyboard worth £25 for £85. Some of the other chaps in there are nice though actually. So I take back what I said and will edit my earlier post. Good acoustic section in there, and the Vox teardrops are cool, plus theres some awesome hollowbody and semi hollows in there and cool amps and basses...
Last edited by ze monsta at Aug 18, 2010,
oh yeah i mean the prices were still pretty poor, but at least they had a good attitude. After the other denmark street shops that went down as pretty good in my book (plus I was only trying, not buying). And yeah, he was scottish, i mean i'm from northern ireland so I can recognise both the scottish and irish accents pretty well (considering the northern irish accent, depending on the part, is kind of a mixture of irish and scottish) I also think i remember reading in a guitar mag that the owner was scottish.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
denmark street definitely also a good option is to take a train from london victoria and go out to brighton wont take to long and pay a visit to GAK
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112