Poll: Should I join even though I may have a few differing opinions?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I join even though I may have a few differing opinions?
yes
17 24%
no
29 41%
join but dont tell them
10 14%
join but do tell them
6 9%
look for something else
8 11%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I am at a difficult decision. Here's my situation:

First some background info, dont worry I'll keep it short.
I'm a college student , but when I was in highschool I was in ROTC (those military classes). We did drill competitions, and military leadership training, etc. We also did alot of community service. My senior year, we did 2,850 service hours as a unit. I personally did 250 that year (actual recorded number is 247, but close enough).

Anyway, I'm in college now and I really want to start doing community service again. I am also a Catholic. I go to church every sunday, and am even an usher. We help people to their seats, but we also take up collection and help with the Eucharist (bread and wine that symbolizes the body and blood of Jesus Christ).

I have been wanting to get more active in my faith, so I looked around and heard about this religious order called "The Knights of Columbus". Some of you may have heard of them. They do alot of community service. They’re a Knightly Order based on charity and were founded in 1882 by the Venerable Father Michael J. McGivney. They were founded originally as a charitable order, but they also actively engage in civil rights, domestic affairs, pilgrimages, supporting the troops, etc. They also occasionally accompany the Pope when he visits different countries. They are headquartered in New Haven, Connecticut, where their order was founded. Here’s a link if you want to read more about them: http://www.kofc.org/eb/en//index.html

I am seriously thinking about joining. There are a few things I'm not comfortable with though. The Catholic Church opposes gay-marriage, abortion, and the use of contraceptives.

These are the only areas that I would have a problem with.
My stance on gay-marraige is that of neutrality. As long as they dont come on to me or whatever, I cant care what they do.
My stance on abortion is more pro-life (against abortion), save for certain instances, if a girl were to be raped and she wanted to get an abortion because having the rapist's baby would be a constant reminder of the bad experience, I would consider that as an acceptable justification.
And on contraceptives (birth control), I don’t really care as since I don’t have a girlfriend at the moment and as I am overweight, it will probably be some time before that happens again. I tend to agree with the church’s stance. However, I would only use a condom to help protect against STD’s. If you use them because you’re not ready for the responsibility, then you shouldn’t be having sex. <- That’s my opinion, not the church’s.
Anyway, I am still going to try to join, the application process works like this:
You talk to a knight, he gives you an application form/questionnaire, it goes around the Order’s office collecting signatures, you get an interview, based on the interview they decide if membership is granted/denied. They say yes, you attend a few classes on being a knight, maybe work an event or two, and then you have the induction ceremony after which, you’re a full-fledged knight.
So do y’all think I should still try and join or not?
I tried to read your post but it proved to be too long so I just voted 'yes'. Anything with the word 'knight' in it can't be that bad.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
I think you need to join a cult that believes in tl;dr's

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Do you ride around in armour with swords and banners and the like, because that's the deciding factor ultimately.
But you don't have castles in America, surely it's impossible.

Do it, anyway. You seem very assured with your faith and role in the church, surely this would cement it further. Have fun.

Oh wait, you said the bread and wine 'symbolises' the body and blood; you're a Catholic, don't you chaps believe it actually is the body and blood?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
this wins the award for the most random yet coolest thread title i've seen this month...

but OT

do it!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Do you ride around in armour with swords and banners and the like, because that's the deciding factor ultimately.

NO, we dont wear armour.

But we do have an Honor Guard and Color Corps (Color Guard). So we do get to carry swords (which if held with the blade pointing downward, makes a cross), and we have a rather neat Herladry. Here's a pic of a Fourth Degree Knight (highest degree before you become member of the board or Council rather):

Here's what the swords look like:

Is it strange that while reading this all I could picture in my head was the knights that go ni from monty python and the holy grail?
If you want to get more into the church do it!
Just keep in mind the consquences... (i'm not sure about this but they may be right)
Not being able to get married.
Living with preists or whatever
Consumption of Time (can you still have a job in this)...

If the benefits outhwiegh the consequences then go for it
Na na na na na leader! Leader!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
sounds awesome. who cares what your viewpoints are? when's the next opportunity for you to be knighted? hell, I'm an apatheist, and I'd do it, just to be a fucking knight.
Quote by freddaahh
But you don't have castles in America, surely it's impossible.

Do it, anyway. You seem very assured with your faith and role in the church, surely this would cement it further. Have fun.

Oh wait, you said the bread and wine 'symbolises' the body and blood; you're a Catholic, don't you chaps believe it actually is the body and blood?

Yes, but I said it the other way, so you other religions would quit bashing us about it. LOL
Quote by El Hilliaro
I tried to read your post but it proved to be too long so I just voted 'yes'. Anything with the word 'knight' in it can't be that bad.

I liked the combonation of this post, your sig, and your avatar.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
Quote by salgala2000
If you want to get more into the church do it!
Just keep in mind the consquences... (i'm not sure about this but they may be right)
Not being able to get married.
Living with preists or whatever
Consumption of Time (can you still have a job in this)...

If the benefits outhwiegh the consequences then go for it

Knights dont have take a vow of Celibacy, they dont live on church grounds or at a Seminary, thats only for actual priests or higher (bishops, cardinals, etc.)

and Consumption of Time? I dont even know what that is.

I'm just worried that some of the rituals associated with knighthood may be too cult-like. I'm all for fraternities, but when it comes to fervourously cult-like fanaticism, I'm too psychologically fragile.

Thats what scares me about joining, I dont know how seriously they take all this.
Quote by MakinLattes
sounds awesome. who cares what your viewpoints are? when's the next opportunity for you to be knighted? hell, I'm an apatheist, and I'd do it, just to be a fucking knight.

+ INFINITE

Once you become knighted, you can legally sign documents as

" Sir Brother-Knight *and then whatever your name is* "

If you advance high enough in the order, you can sign as

"Sir Supreme Council-Knight"

Thats rediculously pmopmous, but its still awesome.

That is all.

You shouldn't join. Way too much time consuming and formal for you, judging by what your told us about your faith. You can perfectly help your church without joining an Order.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Aug 18, 2010,
My brain some how managed to caught the first paragraph, making me slightly impressed...but it then got annuled when this bit came "don’t have a girlfriend at the moment and as I am overweight, it will probably be some time before that happens again"
Then I saw the pictures and it all made sense...

I'm not sure this is exactly the best forum to bring this to =P

Quote by RetroGunslinger
Is it strange that while reading this all I could picture in my head was the knights that go ni from monty python and the holy grail?

Same xD
Well shit man, if this is the kind of order that sends you out to rescue maidens, slay dragons, and seek grails that happen to be holy, I'd join it.

But it isn't. So... *shrug*
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by neptune1988
+ INFINITE

Once you become knighted, you can legally sign documents as

" Sir Brother-Knight *and then whatever your name is* "

If you advance high enough in the order, you can sign as

"Sir Supreme Council-Knight"

Thats rediculously pmopmous, but its still awesome.

even better! where do I sign?

really, that's all they need to drag me in. the promise of a title.
Join the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by neptune1988

I'm just worried that some of the rituals associated with knighthood may be too cult-like. I'm all for fraternities, but when it comes to fervourously cult-like fanaticism, I'm too psychologically fragile.

Thats what scares me about joining, I dont know how seriously they take all this.

The ceremony to induct new members is pretty trippy (as in wtf, this is weird as hell). The guy who taught my confirmation class is a member of the Knights and said that the ceremony is "intense" and almost scary.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by neptune1988

and Consumption of Time? I dont even know what that is.

Basically how much of your time will be taken up.

Quote by neptune1988

It probably will be like that if it's anything like you describe it. If they sometimes accompany the pope to other countries then it's probably taken really seriously.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but I don't agree with Catholicism so my views on the subject will be different then yours.
Just do what feels right, and hope you make the right choice.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by rockingamer2
The ceremony to induct new members is pretty trippy (as in wtf, this is weird as hell). The guy who taught my confirmation class is a member of the Knights and said that the ceremony is "intense" and almost scary.

this just keeps getting better and better.

edit: damn, I just realized it's a fraternal order. curse my misfortune.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by Astyan

That is all.

You shouldn't join. Way too much time consuming and formal for you, judging by what your told us about your faith. You can perfectly help your church without joining an Order.

you misunderstand me, sir. I'm all for ceremony.
I thought this was going to be about some epic Neo-Templars shit like in Broken Sword.

No, you shouldn't join.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Oh, and on the beliefs thing:

Quote by Knights of Columbus website
Membership in the Knights of Columbus is open to men 18 years of age or older who are practical (that is, practicing) Catholics in union with the Holy See. This means that an applicant or member accepts the teaching authority of the Catholic Church on matters of faith and morals, aspires to live in accord with the precepts of the Catholic Church, and is in good standing in the Catholic Church.

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Columbus#Political_activities
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Weeeell if you get swords and get the title Sir Supreme Knight whatcha-me-call-it and get to slay orcs with Gimli all day then by all means...GO AHEAD!

If not...decline
Quote by Go Square Go!
How do you get 'math' from 'mathematics'.
Knights of Colombus!

Come to Dunkies every friday night to pick up their 9dozen doughnuts
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Religious knightly orders are a very prestigious group. The Knights of Malta have a lot of important people in their ranks. People who it might be good to know.

I don't see why you shouldn't join as long as they don't make you take any crazy vows. If all that is required is following the precepts of the Church (the ones which I remember being Mass every Sunday, confession at least once a year, taking the Eucharist at least once during the Easter season, etc) then go ahead. You get a badass sword out of it and can say you do something almost no one else in the world does.
If you differ with them on some moral issues, you probably won't get in. It wouldn't be right for you anyway. It is up to you though.

Does an order exist like the Stonecutters, where people can drink in a mead hall and discuss gentlemanly things?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
It just sounds a bit bogus to me.
Since you're not knighted by royalty then you're not really a proper knight and imo that's the only knighthood that counts for anything

There are plenty of other ways to volunteer with different organisations that don't involve you lying about your beliefs.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Soul Power
Does an order exist like the Stonecutters, where people can drink in a mead hall and discuss gentlemanly things?

...The Freemasons.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by OddOneOut
Since you're not knighted by royalty then you're not really a proper knight and imo that's the only knighthood that counts for anything

Even that doesn't count for much anymore considering the unimportance of royalty in the modern world.

--

Anyway, talk it over with someone you trust. If you know a priest that you can have a genuine conversation with rather than just spiritual guidance, go to them and talk about your views and how it might affect your decision. They'll know a whole lot more about theology and philosophy than The Pit and will help you decide on what you think is right.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2