Hey all!

ive started playing in a band but only currently own some guitars and a marshall MG250DFX (which has some effects) and i need an effects pedal which i can play with live with the amp and to record songs on the computer.

i was thinking a multi effects pedal like a BOSS GT10 or POD XT Live but have heard that multi effects pedals with amps at loud volumes cause huge feedback.

Anyone had any experiences playing with a BOSS GT10?

Thanks!
my mates got one and it's actually REALLY good! sadly right now his is in a corner gathering dust because he lost all faith in guitaring about 3 years ago and refuses to join in even though he was actually REALLY good but i'm sure he has his reasons... and he wont let anyone borrow or buy his stuff off him which is also annoying lol... but on topic

yeh its a good multi-fx board, its got everything you really need!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Out of all the multi-effects pedals I've played, Line 6 defiently wins. I wouldn't reccomend a digital pedal through a digital amp. Tone will probably suck. I never heard or experienced what your saying about feedback. Line 6 is also easy to record with. I'm pretty sure general consensus here is going to be get a new amp though.
I love the RP1000, but never tried anything else.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Just letting you know. If you get a multi-fx with a shitty guitar amp you probably want to just use the amp as a power amp only
If you want amp modeling, get the POD. If you just need effects, get a M13
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I thought my amp would be fine Its 100 watt and sounds pretty decent but the reason id need the effects pedal is because the clean channel is alot quieter than the distortion channel and theres a lot of changing around between the channels + id need the effects of the pedal.

so it would probably be better to get a few stomp boxes and a new amp? or all in one pedal and new amp?

sorry if these are stupid questions im new to amps as this is my first real amp and ive never even thought to change it.

Thanks for the quick responses!
It would be better in the long run to get individual pedals, but with your amp it won't make much of a difference. I have a Korg AX3000G and am trying to sell it because I don't need it anymore but it has lots of features and sounds pretty good for what it is. I recommend it.
Quote by Andy81
I thought my amp would be fine Its 100 watt and sounds pretty decent but the reason id need the effects pedal is because the clean channel is alot quieter than the distortion channel and theres a lot of changing around between the channels + id need the effects of the pedal.

so it would probably be better to get a few stomp boxes and a new amp? or all in one pedal and new amp?

sorry if these are stupid questions im new to amps as this is my first real amp and ive never even thought to change it.

Thanks for the quick responses!

.................jk

But seriously, I recommend selling your amp and getting a small valve/tube combo or maybe a Vypyr. If you read around a bit on this forums, you'll see the general hate towards the Marshall MG.

And if you want to get serious with guitar, instead of buying a multi effects buy single stomp boxes and try EVERYTHING before you buy.
It would be better in the long run to get individual pedals, but with your amp it won't make much of a difference. I have a Korg AX3000G and am trying to sell it because I don't need it anymore but it has lots of features and sounds pretty good for what it is. I recommend it.

Are you trying to sell me your pedal?? :P

But seriously, I recommend selling your amp and getting a small valve/tube combo or maybe a Vypyr. If you read around a bit on this forums, you'll see the general hate towards the Marshall MG.

And if you want to get serious with guitar, instead of buying a multi effects buy single stomp boxes and try EVERYTHING before you buy.

I dont like the modelling amps such as line 6 spiders and peavey vypyr and ive seen the hate! and theres a lot of it for MG amps.

Ive been playing for a fair few years and im getting quite serious with guitar playing but cant really see the band getting very far tbh. I was thinking about getting a small tube amp but didnt know whether they would be loud enough and have no idea when tubes need replacing or how to replace them etc.

got a tube amp which you think would be alright for band practice and for gigs?
You won't need more than 50 watts of tube power ever (although more power will cause the power amp to break up later) - venues where that can't be heard will have a mic and PA to go through anyway. 30 watts is fine for most people. Tubes generally last about a year for power tubes (dependent on how hard you run them) and 2 for pre-amps. To be honest, you may well find that a decent tube amp means you won't want pedals, especially if you're talking about distortion changing the volume too much etc.

I'll ask the usual which everyone needs - budget? willing to go used? style? location/nearest city?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Budget: Depends, if i can get it from a store with that "Take it Away" scheme it could be around £600-£700 (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com) now uses take it away.

Style: could be anything from Red Hot Chilli peps to Joe Satriani to metallica, Ozzy, Muse, Pantera so needs to be quite versatile really.

To be honest, in that price range you can get a used ENGL Screamer - I have one and play pretty similar styles of music (and some heavier stuff) and it can nail pretty much any tone I need it to. For really high-gain stuff, drop z death metal etc then you'll want a boost, but for most it's just fine. I seem to recall someone selling a combo in the classifieds here.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
i cant believe you just said that, ive literally just been looking at vieos on youtube of people playing heavy metal on that amp and was thinking it was perfect, i think ill get one of those. Thank you!

cheers for ya help everyone
As far as the feedback is concerned I certainly can get my PodXT to feedback sometimes almost controllably so. The secret is in the noise gate function. Also quit setting the compressor to sustain until sometime next week and quit playing 5 feet from your amp at full volume.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Aug 18, 2010,
I picked up a used MG250 for a good price as I wanted a loud amp. From reading some peope's opinions of this amp it seems that I got 'lucky' as this amp has no issues with the fan, unwanted noises or any other problems. It actually sounds very good, and loud. I like the blackface Fender Twin, loud/clean sound. It doesn't sound like the Fender but it's very good. I also have a blonde Crate vintage club 30 that is very nice. I swap back and forth trying different styles, tunes and settings and I can get nice tone from either amp. I use the Marshall when I go out to play. I have confidence that it can take a beating and keep working.
All that said, I don't have any use for pedals myself But I did try a distortion pedal through a Fender solid state amp I owned. The effect was terrible. It just didn't work at all. The pedal through a tube amp was fine, like night and day. Like I said, I don't use pedals so I don't have very much experience with that but my assuption is that they probably won't sound right through a solid state amp. Even the wah wah will not work through the gain channels of my solid state amps. So if you're a pedal lover maybe a different amp is what you'll need.
Hi, I ran a GT-8 through an MG for a couple of years while I was poor. Don't make the same mistake.