Right... cut a long story short:

*Played guitar for over 10 years (tech death, progressive death, sumeriancore, djent etc).

*Never used a pick. I know, I always get the "dude, how the f*ck did you just play Stabwound without a pick!?". The answer is, with a hell of a lot more practice than I'd have to if I'd learnt it WITH a pick. People're often surprised that I'm a proficient 'pinch-harmonicer' as well.

*As I usually use my thumb to pick notes whilst soloing (and just abuse legato way more than's healthy), I find it very hard to play standing.

I tried playing bass (finger-style), and it just came so naturally to me...

Could anyone recommend a cheap bass for tech death/prog death (necrophagist, decrepit birth, veil of maya etc)? I'm completely lost here - if it was guitar, for example, I'd look around the Ibanez's, ESP's, Jacksons etc... but for bass, I've got no idea where to start ^^

Also, do many-stringed basses cost much more? I'd probably like a 5/6 string (or maybe more), but I'm really on quite a tight budget...

Thanks for all your help
If you're deadset on a 6'er, you could look for an Ibanez GSR206, I played one once, and it was fairly comfy, and you can't go wrong for the price.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
ibanez, peavey, squire, yamaha, are all good low end bass brands.

for tech death your gonna want an extended range bass.
ibanez gsr206
peavy grind5/6
squire jazz5
whats your budget and you're gonna need an amp too.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Amps... damn, forgot about those >.< Could I just run it through my guitar amp for a while until I got the money for a bass amp?

Budget probably no more than £200, but I'm more than willing to go second hand - I looked around quickly, and found a fair few next-to-new GSR206's for under £200. I think that looks like my best bet... I like the look of the peavey much more, but unfortunately it's a bit too much (mid £400).

With a 6-string, would that be one string higher and one lower? Or both higher/lower?

Thanks
Yes, 1 lower string and then a higher string.
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
Rather than start a new thread I’m going to throw a related question into this one. Are the bass guitars from RondoMusic.com as good as the electrics?
So I could still play songs written for 4-strings? And sorry, would it be possible to run through a guitar amp until I had the money for a bass amp?

Thanks
Yes, anything you can play on a 4 string you can play on a 5 string, 6 string, etc.

And you could run it through your guitar amp, but there's two things to consider:

1) it will not sound like a bass amp, some like running a bass through a guitar amp (granted with bass cabs), but many are not partial to the tone. For best results, use a proper bass amp.

2) Unless you are running a guitar head through a bass cab, i.e. if you are using a guitar combo, or a guitar head and a guitar cab(s), you will damage the speakers. It won't damage the amp, and your cab won't suddenly explode, but the more you play the more damage you will do. It's a myth that its ok as long as you keep the volume low, you will 100% guaranteed degrade guitar speakers, and after awhile, the only sound you'll be able to produce will sound like an underwater fart.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by jpnyc
Rather than start a new thread I’m going to throw a related question into this one. Are the bass guitars from RondoMusic.com as good as the electrics?

rondo's SX basses are solid instruments.

Quote by 04rumbola
So I could still play songs written for 4-strings? And sorry, would it be possible to run through a guitar amp until I had the money for a bass amp?

Thanks

most 6 string bases are tuned BEADGC so bassically its a 4 string wit one lower and one higher string and keeping the tuning in straight 4ths. Many people like to tune F#BEADG or EADGCF or EADGBe.

also if you're gonna run through your guitar amp, use a pair of headphones.
It's just a 30W Peavey Vypyr... so would it still damage it, not being proper a tube amp n' all?
Quote by the_perdestrian
also if you're gonna run through your guitar amp, use a pair of headphones.

Why?

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the double post
Last edited by 04rumbola at Aug 18, 2010,
the bas doesn't damage the amp, it damages the speakers. they aren't made to handle the lower frequencies of a bass (especially a low B on a 5 string) headphones will not only kepp this damage from occuring they will also sound less farty do to the speakers being made for bass frequencies
didnt some older bands play through guitar amps cranked? i think cheap trick's bassist used hiwatts and im pretty sure a lot of 60s bands used full stacks like marshalls just cranked...granted it probably sounded nothing like the clean bass tones of today...just saying....

i was wondering about doing this tho myself. if you ran a guitar amp head through a bass cab would it sound at all decent? anyone have experience in this? i know it wouldnt be as low as a normal bass amp...

and if so what wattage of guitar amp do you use to equal bass amp wattage?
^ Yes, you can run your bass through a guitar head, provided its hooked up to a compatible bass cab. Some people just love the tone, and you'll see some really old bands using guitar amps because there was a time when bass-specific amps didn't exist.

It won't do any damage running a bass through a guitar head and bass cabs, and it won't sound bad....just different. I've only tried it once with a Mesa Triple Rec and it didn't agree with me, but that's all IMO.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You can play bass through a Vyper, I did when I bought my bass and the amp was delivered a few days later. However it sounded shit