I was thinking about buying a Buckethead Signature Gibson Les Paul

However

After finding out that there are no stockists in my area, I'd have to get one shipped in from the US (I'm in the UK) which would push the price up considerably on an already extremely expensive guitar.

The question I have is

Would it be cheaper to basically build one of them myself,

I want the same electronics, woods, etc. I know it will take a long time to do right. but I'm more than willing to put the time into it.

I just want to know if in monetary value if it's cheaper to build this guitar or buy it

Link : Gibson Website Buckethead Signature
i'm Ginger its fun
Did you even google it? 3 different shops stock it in this country...

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=buckethead+gibson&show=dd&sa=N&start=0

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Sparky-MMA
yes but none in my area. the only store that has a store near me is Dawson's and I'm not willing to pay £1,900 for a guitar i could potentially build for less than half that.

Uhh..Do you even realize how hard it is to build a Les Paul? I guess you do..
And ebony is expensive for a fretboard wood. So is mahogany for the whole guitar..
I don't think you could end with a much cheaper version of the original one. Depends if you can really do everything by yourself and spend a lot of time of finding really good quality wood with a decent price.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by Sparky-MMA
yes but none in my area.

All three of the shops offer free delivery...
But anyway, while you could probably build one for less than two grand there are two factors that you must consider:
1) It is a gibson. Two grand aint a lot for a gibson, ive seen other gibsons go for way more than this. Gibson are a great make, and you will have many things that you wont get if you build from scratch, like a warranty.
2) If this is your first build, i'd say it wont be 100% perfect. None of my builds yet have been 100% perfect, there have always been little glitches with them, for example where i got some MAJOR runs when painting and its still slightly visible if you search for it. I personally could live with these, but bear in mind that the gibson wont have these. If you are spending 2 grand on a guitar, im guessing you will want it to be a special one, which it will if you get a gibson.
Im not saying buy the gibson, im just making sure you know all the facts before you make a decision.
i realise it wont be perfect. and yes its my first build but if i need help i'm not ashamed to ask, i know it will be insanely difficult. It was difficult refurbishing an older guitar, so building one from scratch i know will be no easy feat.

I want there to be imperfections. while the Buckethead Signature would be a really amazing guitar to own. It will always have the Buckethead tag, If i built one, it wouldn't have any of the signature tags.

I know wood is expensive, my dad used to be a carpenter and has just informed me that a bad quality slab of mahogany the size i'm likely to need will be around £250, so for a guitar quality slab i'm looking at a lot more than that.

Mainly I want to build one, because it will have more sentimental value than handing over 2000 sheets and walking away, It'll have my sweat and everything in that guitar, and it'll make me want to keep it looking pristine.

Electronically I'm fine with guitars, i've done full rewires on everyone of my guitars, changed picups, pots, switches, installed killswitches etc. so that side shouldn't be a problem, but with wood I'm a total noob, but i'm not the most experienced with it.
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by salgala2000
Well do you have tools?
Bandsaw- a pipe saw will work, it'll just take longer
Router - yeah, need this
Drill - shouldn't be too hard to come by
Planer -Why? Just cause?
Sander - It's called good ole fashion hand sanding
(I know i'm forgetting some)

If you do it will be A LOT cheaper than if you have to buy them. Of course you could always rent

But yes, I agree, with Gibson, it's a $500 guitar with $1500 of name tag slapped on it.

You can build it for much less, you just wont get the "I want it now daddy" pleasure.
why dont you order like a body and neck off of warmoth or something and then do it that way.

you would still be painting it. you would still be wiring it all. it would just give you an already cut body and neck. and warmoth has very good quality woods with tons of options.

hell instead of recreating buckethead's guitar, why dont you make it custom to what you want and make it original so when you pull it out you will know no one else has th same guitar.

just my opinion on the subject though
Quote by jimihendrix6699
why dont you order like a body and neck off of warmoth or something and then do it that way.

you would still be painting it. you would still be wiring it all. it would just give you an already cut body and neck. and warmoth has very good quality woods with tons of options.

hell instead of recreating buckethead's guitar, why dont you make it custom to what you want and make it original so when you pull it out you will know no one else has th same guitar.

just my opinion on the subject though

This man has wisdom.
Quote by ethan_hanus

This man has wisdom.

what's this wisdom you speak of?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 18, 2010,
I'm guessing your manchester area from the dawsons. Personally I would never shop at dawsons, they're bastards. Instead of going warmoth which is rather expensive to ship get a cheap diy build it yourself les paul kit and then trip it out so that it looks and has the hardware of the les paul you seek.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Warmoth.com is only a wisemans choice, and since your the only one that recommended it, you are therefor the wisest of us in this particular thread.

i see your point.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !