I am in the process of relocating for work to NYC and its going to be costly. My rent will be $1,800 a month for a studio apt!!! So with 2 months worth of security deposit, monthly rent, and trying to maintain a decent cash buffer in my savings, I am considering selling off a lot of my gear. I have attempted to put stuff up for sale and I cant do it!!!

How do I cut off all emotion with my guitars!?

I've been holding onto 2 Schecter Banshees (1 completely brand new, and one in good condition). They stopped making these and they look badass so I've been holding onto them. I also love my Schecter C-1 Classic and cant bear to get rid of her

Now 1 guitar I cant wait to get rid of is my 2009 Gibson LP Studio ltd Silverburst. Sorry, She and I never connected. We were never meant to be.

I will not have enough room for everything in this small 400 sq ft studio, so only my EBMM JP6 comes with me. I have to decide should I put them in storage or sell???
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
They have all been cheating on you with your drummer.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
try rooming up with some one in a different apt. or not moving to new york...that way you can keep your shit and some money
Quote by Ljk825
I have to decide should I put them in storage or sell???

I'm confused.

In the first paragraph, you made it sound like you to had to sell your equipment because you need the money for rent and whatnot, but when you get down to the above sentence, you sound like the problem is simply not enough room to have all your gear in your apt. If that's the case, then obviously you should put the stuff in storage if you really can't part with it.

Quote by Ljk825
My rent will be $1,800 a month for a studio apt!!!

Wow, **** that.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
guitars don't really take up much space. get a couple of bricks and use the hardshell case for a coffee table . seriously keep one of the schecters and your music man and i think you'll get by.
i'm the axe murderer of guitars. i've sold pretty much everything i've ever bought new, and the only ones i have now i've assembled myself but i'd say keep at least one banshee. if they're something you're worried you might not find again i'd definitely hold on to one. the gibson should be an easy sell. even people who don't get along well with LP's (me) think thats a great looking guitar. and if the C-1 is important to you i'd try to find a place to keep that one as well. just curious, why can't you take more than one? cases won't take up much space if they're stacked. you might even be able to keep one under my bed or under a couch or something.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yeah, if your straped for cash, then you have to be really dumb to look for a fancy apartment in NEW YORK CITY of all places, they have the most expensive rent I've ever seen.

Either move into the Bronx, outside NYC, or sell your gear so you can have a fancy apartment in a super expensive city.
Those guitars were responsible for the death of your childhood imaginary friend, Snugglefopsy.
A studio apt in new York is not gonna be extremely fancy , not for 1800 a month.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
There are cockroaches living in the neck of each one that lick you as you play its neck.
SMILE!
http://www.schecterforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1268

Yours?

As for selling the gear, it'll get you a decent amount of cash, but since you seem to be in a bit of a rush, it won't be spectacular.

I reckon your best bet is to sell the LP and one of the Banshees (the new one) and to store the rest (for instance at your parents'/GF's/etc. place).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
400 Sq. feet for $1800/mo? You can get a decent 1 bedroom for that in Brooklyn. Get a cheaper place outside of Manhattan with a musician roommate so you can be noisy and have someone to jam with.
Alright, just to clarify a few things....

I still have time (Feb 2011) to prepare for the move. Yes, 400 sq ft is tiny and is definitely NOT fancy living. I have considered Brooklyn and havent ruled it out (or another cheaper apt), but $1800 is my budget.

I am not necessarily strapped for cash, just thought I'd try to sell some things to make my move a little easier and minimize my possessions. I have this idea in my head of how much I would want to have in my savings before I move and selling some of my possessions would help me get there. I guess the $ of the Apt is irrelevant, but thought it would help put into perspective how much I will be spending on the move. (kinda like buyer's remorse or GAS remorse). Think of how many guitars I could be buying with this money!!!

I too have gone through about 6 different guitars over the past 3 years out of sheer boredom. Too many to name, but none lasted more than a few month or weeks. The ones I have now hold a bit of meaning to me (except for the LP which could go to hell). I thought by expressing out loud what I was thinking would help.

Either way, thanks for your suggestions and I will stew over it for the next few weeks.

Yes, those are my Schecters on the Schecterforum.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Dude, don't sell gear that you love. That's like selling your soul.

One of my friends is/was a bassist, with this amazingly sweet rig (Ampeg SVT stack and Fender something or other, I want to say Geddy Lee bass), and she sold her rig to afford college - she's never been the same since. Just like, empty somehow.

If you sell your precious gear, you'll regret it forever, and it may damage you in tragic ways.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's pretty easy. I just sold one of my Gibsons and I don't give a shit at all.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I have a banshee, and it is really freaking awesome, but 2 is too much. You should keep the used one and sell the new one on eBay because you'll get more for a new one. As far as everything else goes, the gibson is an easy one if you don't connect with it. The C1 is cool, but how much do you really play it? Also, you're guitars Arent people, don't refer to them as he and she. They're just wood, parts, and paint. Keep what you need, sell what you don't. You gotta be realistic. I have a bunch of guitars right now, but intend to get rid of most of them once I need to.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
It's pretty easy. I just sold one of my Gibsons and I don't give a shit at all.

Not everyone can afford Gibson Custom Shop guitars.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Your guitars killed your parents and molested your sister/brother/molested then killed siblings you didn't know you had till you found a dusty picture of them in your old attic. Sell them before they get you next.
Quote by monwobobbo
guitars don't really take up much space. get a couple of bricks and use the hardshell case for a coffee table . seriously keep one of the schecters and your music man and i think you'll get by.

This. I would totally do that.
just try using a wall post if its a space issue if you really have to get rid of em then do it as fast as possible and never look back...time heals all wounds..but again if its a space issue then wall post..the guitars well be a nice decorations and from time to time you can still shred your ass off on em
Last edited by mendes0010 at Aug 19, 2010,
this^, one of my first purchases once I get a job will be a couple of wall hangers.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I say keep one of the Schecters (probably the used one) and the MusicMan. Sell the rest.

OR you could always not get a fridge and have enough room for them all.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Wow so is this job really worth moving to NY and spending all this money or do you not have another option?

I have never sold an instrument/piece of gear I've bought. You should see my wal-in closet. There's more gear than clothing in it.

If you have to consider selling, look at what you don't play. Simple as that. You might want to hold onto something because it will be valuable "someday" but you need to survive now and can't live in the future.