so my band UP plays avant-punk lullabies. i play an acoustic guitar- but steel strings aren't dreamy the way nylon strings are, and 6 strings don't have as much reverb as 12 would. i COULD buy a different guitar, but i like my acoustic flying V. the guitar is a shallow bodied acoustic, and i was considering taking the instrument to a luthier and having him switch the neck and bridge out for a 12 string classical setup. thoughts?
(it's a Dean V-coustic, BTW)
Last edited by SEANOmd at Aug 18, 2010,
It would sound much much better if you got a full body dreadnought guitar, the reason it sounds like shit is because it's a shallow body V shaped guitar.

But if you insist, you could have that done, you would have to have the bridge redrilled for a staggered 12 pin setup, which might get expensive.
i was just thinking new bridge. and a parlor or dreadnought is nice, but my V is part of the act- it doesn't sound like shit, i actually like the voice a lot, but i recently restrung it with nylon and i just love the dreamy kind of quality it has now.

my dad heard some of the things i wrote, which apparently inspired him to make an investment in my art- so money isn't a HUGE deal.
the yahoo answers guy said there's no such thing as a nylon 12 string
Quote by salgala2000
Keep in mind pickups won't work on nylon strings. You would need a piezo.

uh... on an acoustic electric? i thought acoustic electric pickups were basically microphones- can you give me the rundown on all this acoustic electric know how i don't have? important information for when i get a working amp.
There are two common systems for acoustic guitars: condenser mic and piezo pickup.
Either one will work for steel or nylon string acoustics.
Condenser mic is just what it sounds like, a small microphone mounted inside the body of the guitar. Advantage is that they can give very faithful, full-range reproduction. Disadvantage is that they can have feedback issues.
A piezo pickup is usually installed as a thin strip under the saddle, so sometimes they are referred to as "under the saddle" pickups. It senses vibrations in the bridge. Advantage is that they can be less expensive, and less likely to have feedback issues. Disadvantage is that they don't always reproduce as full a range.
Some guitars have both, and the ability to blend the two.

Electric guitar pickups work by sensing changes in a magnetic field, thus they only work with steel strings.
Quote by SEANOmd
i was just thinking new bridge. and a parlor or dreadnought is nice, but my V is part of the act- it doesn't sound like shit, i actually like the voice a lot, but i recently restrung it with nylon and i just love the dreamy kind of quality it has now.

my dad heard some of the things i wrote, which apparently inspired him to make an investment in my art- so money isn't a HUGE deal.
the yahoo answers guy said there's no such thing as a nylon 12 string

Come to think of it, I've never seen a 12 string nylon guitar either. Idk, you might try getting a nut cut to accept two sets of normal 6 string sets, and just tune every second string half a step down, since that's what normal 12 string guitars are(me thinks), or it's every 2nd string is tuned a octave above the larger one.

Idk man, starting to think about it, it wouldn't be practical, nylon strings are anything but thin, imagine trying to cram 12 of those things on a guitar designed for 6 bronze strings, starting to think the neck wouldn't be wide enough.
I like the idea, but I think trying to mod an existing guitar into shape for it would be more trouble than just building one. :/
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by ethan_hanus
Idk, you might try getting a nut cut to accept two sets of normal 6 string sets, and just tune every second string half a step down, since that's what normal 12 string guitars are(me thinks),

This would sound terrible.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Come to think of it, I've never seen a 12 string nylon guitar either. Idk, you might try getting a nut cut to accept two sets of normal 6 string sets, and just tune every second string half a step down, since that's what normal 12 string guitars are(me thinks)

ermm.. perhaps youve never played a minor second interval before? :P

My understanding was that every second string is tuned the same as the last, that way the sound is a lot fuller because you have two strings producing the same note at the same time

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON

Ts, my brief use of nylon's, as well as the construction behind them, shows me that they have very little tension put on them, as far as strings are concerned. Less tension=floppy. Two strings that flop and hit each other=bad. Do i know this will happen for a fact? No. It's just a assumption, based on what i know. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
eB are tuned to the same pitch, the rest of the strings are tuned in octaves with their paired string, low E is paired with and e string an octave higher etc. Can't say I've ever heard of a 12 string nylon either, would be pretty cool to see if it's possible.
I say go for it!
ps finally someone else who appreciates their V coustic! I love mine its sounds great and is really reallllllyyyyyy nice to look at lol
12 string nylon would be tough tough tough. And Lots of work. Which equals LOTS of money. Surely there is a "dreamy" effect you can get from a stomp box or rack gear.
Consider that the neck would be almost 3 times as wide, since nylons need the spacing, plus some more for the extra set of them.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.