Hey guys, not in the forums here much but I have a few questions regarding theory.

First off, chords. They're like my mortal enemy of guitar since they're probably the trickiest to fully learn. I'm a good guitarist whos been playing for 3 years and I'm looking into my sweep picking. I can do most all basic sweeps at a reasonable tempo down to 6 string but how do you identify a chord that is not a basic 7th? My guitar teacher (school teacher, I have now graduated) had given me a list of chords but he never had time to explain to me how you name it. He also mentioned you don't play the root note when you make a chord??

In short:

How do you know the name of a chord made from a scale on any fret? Also, how do you make it harmonic/minor?

The second point to this post, I'll keep it short, is scales. I've mashed Aeolian in every key including harmonic and melodic but now I want to understand other scales.
http://gosk.com/scales/phrygian-scale-for-guitar.php
Gosk seems like a great site, but I don't understand the diagrams. If i were to say play position 1 in the key of A, would the first note be F? And how would I know what it can be played with?

If you took the time to read this, thank you in advance
Last edited by MeritGamer at Aug 18, 2010,
That's one hell of a question(s). I will say that you definatly play the root in a chord. The naming gets a little wierd for some chords, I don't really get it myself, but if you learn all the open A chords and open E chords all you have to do to play them for any other note is play that same shape as a barre chord and move it up the fret to where ever you want to play it.