I've been saving for an EVH 5150 III, almost there. Is it worth the $3000 price tag?
It's $2000, not $3000. You don't need to get the matching cab with it.

If you can get a used one for cheaper, you might as well do so. Also look at a better cab, like Emperor or Port City or Mills Acoustics, if you're really saving up that much money. You can find a used Mesa 4x12 for around $400, though.

They're good amps, but every EVH 5150 III made supposedly sounds different from one another for one reason or another.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting the cab, as well. Hence the $3000. I've been drooling over that baby for a few years now.
Get a used one. New, they're not worth it IMO. They sound great, but $2000 for an amp made in Mexico is for shit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
2000 usd better be something pretty damn special. then again i dumped almost 2000 on my orange OR50H, but i thought it was pretty damn special.

usually i'd recommend people playing something that costs much before actually buying it to make sure it is worth their wild. (yes a local store did have an OR50H for me to play before i bought it)

i'd also pay attention for how much they go used. resale value for an amp is a big determining factor for me because i want to know i can get my money back out the amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
That amp is easily found for 1100-1500 used
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
ouch, that is a hell of a hit.

TS i would recommend buying used with an avatar cab for maximum bang for the buck, based on shred's very knowledgable input

-ae
That is if he is in the states. if he's not in the states another amp should be on the TS radar
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
TS? Total sucker I know this thing is outrageously priced. But, I'm skeptical of buying used, as I have heard of pre amp tube problems on earlier models.
Tried one of these amps and maybe it was because I wasn't EQing it right, but I didn't like it too much. The cleans were nice. The crunch channel just wasn't useful for me. It didn't have enough gain to be useful for metal as a rhythm channel IMO. The lead channel was okay, but I thought it wasn't as awesome as the 5150/6505 or the 5150II/6505+ honestly.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Aug 18, 2010,
TS = Thread Starter = you

I honestly don't think I'd even buy a used one. Some of the nightmare stories I read of the initial run scarred me away. I know riffhog liked his when he had it but I think even he would agree.

I was down to a 5153 and a Splawn when I finally pulled a trigger.
regardless of how you feel about used, i still don't recommend buying something that loses almost 1/2 value after you buy it, especially if you don't try before buying to see if it's something you want or if there might be something better out there for you.

-ae
I've not tried the EVH but have played a lot with 5150s and have to say I am pretty damn happy with my 6505+ Chinese 60w 112 (I use a V30). I have over 500 hrs on it, no problems at all and its been knocked around a lot. They should make a head version (I converted mine) and sell it for $499, they would sell a lot of them.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 18, 2010,
I have a 5150 lll 412 it sounds great but not worth the money new. I bought mine used new a guitar center for 250 and one of my xxx cabs. Just get the head.
Quote by Junnage
Tried one of these amps and maybe it was because I wasn't EQing it right, but I didn't like it too much. The cleans were nice. The crunch channel just wasn't useful for me. It didn't have enough gain to be useful for metal as a rhythm channel IMO. The lead channel was okay, but I thought it wasn't as awesome as the 5150/6505 or the 5150II/6505+ honestly.

Had to be something wrong with it cause that amp has just as much gain as a 5150.

The crunch channel sounds like sex too, and has an awesome clean channel

Quote by scott john
TS? Total sucker I know this thing is outrageously priced. But, I'm skeptical of buying used, as I have heard of pre amp tube problems on earlier models.

Those are $10 a piece, even if you had to retube the entire amp, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a new one.

Fact of the matter is, even if the amp didn't work, if you bought it for $1100, to replace all of the major components in it, it would cost less than the $900 difference in price. I realize you don't want to buy a broken amp, but I'm just throwing the scenario out there

TBH, if you buy one used and it works when you get it, I doubt it'll ever have any serious problems, it's held up that long, it's likely to hold up longer. The price of buying a new one isn't really worth it when buying anything, unless the difference is so minimal that paying a bit extra for a warranty is worth it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^^ actually the warranty is transferable iirc....so

I dunno if it is, I was just stating that more in a general purpose, that buying new is a waste of money unless the benefits really outweigh the cost difference (ie: I would NEVER buy a used Bugera ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^yeah gotcha.

anywho, i'm pretty sure the 5153 is transferable...something I wish Splawn would do

I thought the amp sounded killer and liked the idea of getting 5150/6505+ distortion AND Fender cleans in one amp but the Made in Mexico thing and the horror stories drove me away. I found one in Sacto for $750 back then
It's the best sounding amp I've ever heard for metal. It's got the about 90% of the growl of the original, but it's super clear and articulate sounding. I've never heard an amp that sounds like that.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
so the three is an attempt at staying true to the original?

And yea I would def recommend looking for a used one, i'm never buying an amp brand new again ever, its like buying a new car the value drops so much after its off the lot.
Guitars
Amps
My local Guitar Center had a used one for about $1200 for the head I think. They are truly amazing heads....when they work.

My local mom n' pop music store got 2 5150III's in one time and both of them didn't work. They had to return them and sadly never got anymore.
They're inconsistent in my experience. They're definitely worth the used price if you find a good one though. Awesome cleans, great mid gain crunch and great heavy tones. Bad ones tend to have the great cleans but mediocre mid gain tones and fizzy/buzzy heavy tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I've always liked my original run 5150 2x12 combo more than any of the 5150 III's i've played. And I picked my 5150 up in a trade for a valveking. You can pick one up for somewhere around $500 on average used.