I've always used D'Addario's but I was considering trying Ernie Balls and I was wondering what strings tend to last the longest. I'm not talking about the expensive stuff just the average D'Addario EXL120 Super Light strings vs. Ernie Ball 2223 Nickel Super Slinky strings. Thanks for the help.
Quote by KingStill
What's heavier, pound of cotton or pound of lead?

i see what you did there

it doesnt really matter, you should change them every 3-5 weeks anyway
I personally found Ernie Balls last longer, but even so they still corroded after about a week for me

I have really acidic hand sweat, so if you're looking for really nice long-lasting strings, try Elixirs, they last at least a month for me most of the time. Hell they could probably last longer than that too, but I just habitually change each month anyway :P
Ernie Ball are just better strings in general, IMO. They have more tension than any other string with the same gauge in the same tuning. D'Addario on the other hand is at the other end of the spectrum. EBs are much better for your style, especially if you like your strings light.
Quote by mishax92
I personally found Ernie Balls last longer, but even so they still corroded after about a week for me

I have really acidic hand sweat, so if you're looking for really nice long-lasting strings, try Elixirs, they last at least a month for me most of the time. Hell they could probably last longer than that too, but I just habitually change each month anyway :P

What, were you the prototype for Aliens the movie?
This question has no merit. TS, get whatever string feels better to you, not which lasts longer. There is no string that "lasts longer", as string corrosion is due to many things, none of which are consistent from person to person or guitar to guitar. Your strings will corrode at a different rate due to the guitar you're on, how often you play, how much/what your sweat is like, and the strings will not die at the same time as another person using those strings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Opinionated fail thread is fail.

Srsly.

I could say D'Addario > all because they lasted longer than the ernies i had prior.

Now who are YOU going to believe? The guys sayin D'Addario or the guys sayin EB?

Why don't you take 6 bucks , buy a pack of EBs and find out for yourself?

it's not like we're talking about pickups which are harder to replace. we're talking about 6 dollar packs of strings.

And if you're younger, TS, don't give me that "I can't afford it" crap. I could find 6 bucks easily if i really needed to. /rant
The only brand of string I've noticed to last longer is Elixir. Dean Markley, however, I have noticed last barely a week, regardless of what I do or where I am. Particularly their Blue Steel line.

As someone who has used both brands extensively, I've never noticed a difference between D'As and EBs as far as string life goes. Get whichever you like better and don't worry about it.
I live in Ga and it doesnt matter they rust in like two weeks...lol

acidic sweat eh? Sounds marketable...
In theory, standard D'Addario strings are going to last longer than standard Ernie Ball strings.

In theory I could marry Jemma Palmer.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
keep your strings clean. wash your hands before playing. this will help strings last longer. i use d'addario ej22s and they last 2 and a half to 3 months before startng to lose life.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I’ve used both in the last six months and there’s not much difference in terms of durability, but I do get a brighter sound out of the D’Addario strings.
Yeah just use whichever one sounds and feels the best to you. Elixer lasts one of the longest but they feel gross and don't sound that great to my ears. I use D'Adarrios personally.. though thats mostly because its one of the easiest brands to find flatwounds in.
Get DR's, Better stings than both of them.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Quote by KingDime666
Get DR's, Better stings than both of them.

I tried out a lot of strings over my time as a guitar player. I never tried DR.

The main reasoning behind it being, their ads in Guitar World look like they were designed by a 10 year old who wanted to play with photoshop.

Seriously, they took this exact image,
http://www.freefoto.com/images/33/15/33_15_15---Fire-Flame-Texture_web.jpg

and stretched it out to the point where it's a pixeled mess.

I dunno, I'd think professional companies should make professional ads

I rant simply because this thread is pointless anyway
That and DR is still selling Dimebag signature strings over five years after he was murdered. I’m pretty sure he’s not still playing with those DRs.
I looked up DR strings on google.. and the headline for the site is:

DR Strings | THE HANDMADE STRING IN GOOD HANDS. YOURS.

and really wished the parents of the company had invested money in grammar school.
Quote by siverstorm
I tried out a lot of strings over my time as a guitar player. I never tried DR.

The main reasoning behind it being, their ads in Guitar World look like they were designed by a 10 year old who wanted to play with photoshop.

Seriously, they took this exact image,
http://www.freefoto.com/images/33/15/33_15_15---Fire-Flame-Texture_web.jpg

and stretched it out to the point where it's a pixeled mess.

I dunno, I'd think professional companies should make professional ads

I rant simply because this thread is pointless anyway

youve obviously never been to the soldano website. shitty site but amazing amps. dr strings arent bad. i have used a couple sets. in my time. cant remember which.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
youve obviously never been to the soldano website. shitty site but amazing amps. dr strings arent bad. i have used a couple sets. in my time. cant remember which.

Yea, but at that point you're actively looking for the site.

DR ads are just in issues of Guitar World, they're trying to make themselves look good so you decide you want to buy them. But those ads are so pathetically done that it makes me wonder how much they pay Guitar World to let them print that crap.
Quote by Crohny
youve obviously never been to the soldano website. shitty site but amazing amps.

So I thought to myself 'cant be that bad *googles* OHGODMYEYESTHEYBURN'

I mean.. I'm no web designer.. but clearly neither was the person that made that site.
Quote by MrFlibble
In theory, standard D'Addario strings are going to last longer than standard Ernie Ball strings.

In theory I could marry Jemma Palmer.

Quote by Arterial
What, were you the prototype for Aliens the movie?

lolololololololo

DR fanboys will say that DR's last longer
addario boys will say that addario lasts longer
EB boys will say that EB's last longer

IN theory tho,elixir nanoweb or polyweb strings should last more than an of em

/thread
I have a hybrid of EB and D'adds on my Epi at the moment and both seem to be doing alrights

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page