I'm looking into buying a Marshall Stack, half most likely. Unfortunately, there are so many different models, could someone direct me to a page or explanation of what each model is, what kind of sound, style of music they are for? I can't find a comprehensive explanation unfortunately. Thanks,

also, if there are any other half stack recommendations I'd love to hear them, price isn't really a problem at the moment, as long as its reasonable (under 3000 hopefully)
£3000 could buy you a sexy boutique half stack thats infinitely better than most Marshalls you could get!

What style of music do you tend to play most anyway? Any particular bands, songs, genres, etc.
Quote by mishax92
£3000 could buy you a sexy boutique half stack thats infinitely better than most Marshalls you could get!

What style of music do you tend to play most anyway? Any particular bands, songs, genres, etc.

to define my style in some bands i'd say, zeppelin, sabbath, floyd, bob marley as well as stuff like randy rhoads and tool etc as well as some post rock like tortoise, that kind of thing
why does everyone with money go for a god damn Marshall? there are TONS of other better amp makers out there
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
If your wanting a general make.

Orange.

/Thread.

Thead/
Cornell & Cornford.

Re-/ Thread.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
JCM 800 or 900 is your best bet in my opinion if you're set on getting a Marshall. Also, a half stack should do fine, a full stack is really not necessary unless you play colossal festival gigs, and even then still not 100% required due to modern mic tech.

If I were you though, I'd look into various other brands too on top of the Marshalls. Have a look at Blackstar Series Ones, Hughes and Kettner, Orange, Cornford, etc. There are some really nice amps there that are better than a lot of Marshalls in my opinion, and its worth checking them out, especially if price isnt too much of an object.
Marshall has had a ton of models. No one is going to walk you through all of them.

Here is how I like to break it down...

JTM45/JTM50 - earliest Marshalls, plexi panel, Jim Marshall's tweed Bassman clones with KT66s into a quad of 12" Celestions rather than 10" Jensons, JTM50 was a transitional model, same layout and guts of a JTM45 with different OT and EL34s. Some were SS rectified. Listen to early AC/DC and early Clapton (bluesbreakers era)

Plexis (ie. 1987, 1986, Super Lead, Super Bass, etc.) - late '60s Marshalls, the evolution of the JTM45 into what most people associate with Marshall today. Listen to Page, Clapton (with Cream), Paul Kossoff, Betts and Allman, Hendrix, etc. all use plexis.

'70s metal panel - same models as the plexis, but more modern sounding, more gain, "stiffer" sound, around the mid '70s these amps began being mass produced with PCB as opposed to the PTP wiring that all the previous amps had

Late '70s MV JMPs/early JCM800s - basically '70s metal panels with master volume controls. Also gain stages were cascaded resulting in much higher gain. Heard on a lot of '80s rock. Later JCM800s had split channels and introduced diode clipping into their circuits for more gain. Purists hate this, I personally think the late 800s sound fine, I prefer the earlier ones but they all sound pretty good.

JCM900s, 2000s, JVMs, etc. modern Marshalls from 1990 on, mass produced, hit or miss. They're all pretty good amps, but not the $2000+ good that they go for. More for versatility and trying to compete with other amps in the metal market. Too bad other amps do that better.

Rough break down.
Get a Marshall JVM 410, it's a 12 channel amp that can do ANY sound and pair it with a 4x12 AV cabinet
Oranges do not sound like Marshalls. If I wanted the tone of a super lead and someone recommended me an Orange I would kick them in the teeth.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
If your wanting a general make.

Orange.

/Thread.

Thead/
Cornell & Cornford.

Re-/ Thread.

This is very true. I don't own an Orange amp, but have spent a good deal of time playing with several thanks to being friends with the guys at my local music store.. They have great tone and are fairly versatile, and can handle pedals pretty well.

Overall though, I would say go play with some amps in person if you are able to.
Bugera 1960 - it has the soul of valves.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If your waiting for a Marshall, wait for the JMD.

They're brilliant amps & I've played a 'similar' prototype due to a guy I know who works for them...

Enough on that story.

TS, it's all your own choice, just go and bloody play as many amps as you can to make your own choice, if you want reccomendations, I'd suggest an MG100HDFX, they are brilliant!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by al112987
Oranges do not sound like Marshalls. If I wanted the tone of a super lead and someone recommended me an Orange I would kick them in the teeth.

Carlton you'd be lucky to manage a ball shot.

He wasnt exactly specific with what tones he was after. Im sure an orange would be more than adequate.
I recommend a JCM800 but my opinion may be very biased...I got mine for 450 bucks about 15 years ago I hear they are very expensive now but I don't know since I've never looked for another amp since I've have it....that sound tell you something about it...any style,any situation...awesome
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by beckyjc
Carlton you'd be lucky to manage a ball shot.

He wasnt exactly specific with what tones he was after. Im sure an orange would be more than adequate.

I think the point he was trying to make was that Marshall and Orange are totally different sounds.

At least, I think so.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah i know.

But for a guy that just knows he wants a marshall half stack with no further detail, more than likely just for the brand name he should be open to other amps in the same kind of category.

As in, british voiced and crunchy.

Or at least thats what i think.
I'm surprised this hasn't been said, but don't get a Marshall just to get a Marshall. I mean, it sounds like you don't know anything about the different models, which implies that you haven't done very much research yourself.

Check out different stores and play through a bunch of amps. Chances are you'll be able to narrow down what you're looking for quite a bit, and find something eventually.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm surprised this hasn't been said, but don't get a Marshall just to get a Marshall. I mean, it sounds like you don't know anything about the different models, which implies that you haven't done very much research yourself.

Check out different stores and play through a bunch of amps. Chances are you'll be able to narrow down what you're looking for quite a bit, and find something eventually.

Agree...don't just by a marshall without doing a lot of research....that's a lot of money to waste bro lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Get a Marshall JVM 410, it's a 12 channel amp that can do ANY sound and pair it with a 4x12 AV cabinet

This, except get the 205H, the 410 I found to just be way too excessive in every way.
Quote by Offworld92

+1

i'm starting to think this guy knows what he's talking about
Quote by Arterial
+1

i'm starting to think this guy knows what he's talking about

Ohhh... harsh.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by rdobson2
Agree...don't just by a marshall without doing a lot of research....that's a lot of money to waste bro lol

In my humble opinion... money spent on a tube Marshall halfstack is not wasted. Whether you know what you're getting into or not. I mean, you seriously can do absolutely no wrong with one.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Bugera 1960 - it has the soul of valves.

With the amount of money the OP has......

Why on earth would he go for a Bugera!?!
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah i know.

But for a guy that just knows he wants a marshall half stack with no further detail, more than likely just for the brand name he should be open to other amps in the same kind of category.

As in, british voiced and crunchy.

Or at least thats what i think.

I recommend Special K or Stephan Fry

I'd look more at the Fargen Olde 800 if you want boutique Marshallz

Quote by Mazz211
With the amount of money the OP has......

Why on earth would he go for a Bugera!?!

Your parents didn't teach you about sarcasm on the internet did they?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Offworld92

I'm not set on marshall, its just that I know their stacks are quality, but im down for an alternative
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
why does everyone with money go for a god damn Marshall? there are TONS of other better amp makers out there
\

well thats because everyone would want a JCM800 cranked at their place.

in my opinion the best amplifier today.
i dont deny that there's no better but better in this case is purely an opinion.