What should I get?

I've always wanted a Marshall, but have no idea what is good or hot these days.

I lost a small Fender and a Line 6 multi-effect amp in a flood last week and the Insurance company was nice enough to compensate me for my losses. So, I'm ready to buy an amp, and I want some suggestions I can do some homework on.

Go.
What kind of size are you looking for? Wattage? Is it just for bedroom or jamming? WHat kind of music do you play?
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Yeah, just home jamming. I'm not a musician by any means. Just for fun. I play alot of punk, funk, and reggae. I like 311 riffs
You can't get a good Marshall for $300 - $400. Sorry.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I would look into the Marshall Class 5. 1x10 5w amp, should be good for what you play. Either that or the Blackstar HT-5. Both are all tube, with the HT-5 being a little more "metal" than the Class 5, which is a Class A amp. Both go for $399 on Musician's Friend as well, which is probably the cheapest place to get them as they'll cost more at a shop.

EDIT: Obvisouly, the more you can spend the more options you will have, so if you are willing to add some of your own money you can open up more possibilities.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 18, 2010,
Blackstar produces a really nice tube amp. you can hear clips on youtube to see if you like it. I heard the company was formed by some Marshall engineer's who defected to start their own company.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT5-Series-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483559

also you might check out Line 6 Flextone's and Tech 21 on eBay for around $300-400
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
For the price range you're looking at, and if you really like the Line 6, then I would recommend a Peavey Vypr.. For $400 you could get the 2x12 version, which would be more than plenty of power for a home setting, or for around $300 you could get the 75 watt 1x12. They're great amps, and have a ton of different Peavey amp models and a good deal of effects (good if you really like playing the 311 style riffs), and if you got one of the Sanpera footswitches (if you can swing it, get the Sanpera 2, it adds extreme customization and gives you up to, I think, 400 different settings). Versatile and for what you say you would be using it for, it would be a good investment. For around $400 dollars though, you won't really get a Marshall worth half a damn, unless you go used, which I also suggest looking into.
Last edited by X V I I at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by X V I I
For around $400 dollars though, you won't really get a Marshall worth half a damn, unless you go used, which I also suggest looking into.

Awesome, thanks guys...

If I did go used what would I be looking for? or what should I stay away from?
...Plenty of power for a home setting?^^

When does jamming at home require plenty of power?

Dont bother with marshall at that price.

Though the peavey vypyr is worth a look if you're into modeling. For the genres you play the Vox VT series would be better.

Though if you want tone rather than features. Something like a Vox AC4, Fender Pro Jr, Fender Blues Jr, Bugera V22 would be a good idea. With a nice OD pedal.

^Used JCM800 combo could go near your price range.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by tannerduncan
Awesome, thanks guys...

If I did go used what would I be looking for? or what should I stay away from?

First, just look around for used amps you're interested in, then, if possible, try to examine the amp(s) yourself for obvious signs of anything out of the ordinary (major damage, repainting, modification, etc..). Then, if you can play it, do so, play it. Obviously this may not be an option. If you're going to buy it from an online dealer, look into the seller's rep. If you're going to buy it from an individual, make sure to ask as many questions as possible. It all just depends on who/where you buy it from, but be sure to do your homework on the amp prior to buying it, so you'll know what it should look like from all angles, and how it should sound.

This may not be how everyone does it, but it's how I do it, and it works for me. =) Also, make sure the used amp is within a reasonable price range for being used. And it'll vary by region slightly, so make sure to take that into account as well. For example, if the amp goes for $400 new, and the average price of the used amp is around $300 in your area, and you find one that's going for $150, use caution when approaching it. It could have some major defects, or the seller might just need to get rid of it in a pinch. It's all dependent. Just make sure you don't just jump on a seemingly great deal without doin' a bit of research.
Quote by beckyjc
...Plenty of power for a home setting?^^

When does jamming at home require plenty of power?

You're right. You don't need power for home use, but I was trying to take into account a little more juice should he decide to expand outside of the bedroom. It's probably just me, and the way I look at it, though.
I don't understand all the hate that UG shows towards the Class 5. I think it's a nice amp... The cleans aren't very good, but the rest is awesome. That being said, it won't suit all of your playing styles. It is a one trick pony. +1 on looking around for a used JCM800 combo. I've seen a few go for around $400 around here...
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
So far the VT30 looks like the best bargain. Really wish I could afford the HT-5 though.