I might have a crap singing voice, but still, I'd like to be able to sing while playing. I've been playing 2 years now and still can't get the hang of it. It's like that whole 'rubbing your tummy and patting your head' thing. Doing one thing while doing another.

So I was wondering if any of you fine people out there had any tips, techniques and songs for me to practice this with, as my aimless singing seems to be getting me absolutely nowhere
Try REAALLY easy to play songs like, "good riddance (time of your life)" by Green day, and once you can sing and play those, move on to more difficult, and more, and etc.

Or trying singing your guitar scales as you play, doing that repeatedly can help singing in key and your coordination
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Probably just playing songs with only a few chord changes is always good to start with, then you dont have to spend to much time thinking about what chords you have to change too.

Other than that, just keep finding songs and trying to sing and play them. The more you do it, the better youll get.
Can you tap a beat while you're playing? That's another tough one to do at first. Take the advice given by the others and practice, practice and practice more. We all go through the same thing at first and you will get there.
Quote by NickGiovanni
Try REAALLY easy to play songs like, "good riddance (time of your life)" by Green day, and once you can sing and play those, move on to more difficult, and more, and etc.

Or trying singing your guitar scales as you play, doing that repeatedly can help singing in key and your coordination

this one.

also it helped me by only playing the chords once when they come up. and then adding more strums.

either way it is a gradual process
I'm starting to try doing this, not because I can actually sing, more because it helps me automatically do the playing so I could, if I wanted, prat about on stage a bit. I'm getting better, but it is very difficult.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Many new guitarists have a problem with that. Even some of the guitar heros have trouble, though most don't. I have been playing for about four years now and am finally getting the hang of this on the harder songs. I guess just practicing is the way to go. I used to practice for four hours a day in order to get good.

Of course, I'm a bad singer. I sometimes find it helpful to get a piano, strike a random key, and harmonize with it until my voice is clear, then move onto another key, and so on for a few minutes. Then a start playing with the guitar while singing. It works for me. It helps me to hit the notes more accurately.
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Aug 19, 2010,
When I first started trying to sing while playing I found it helped to learn each part very well first. Learn all the lyrics, then the chord changes, then the strum pattern and slowly put them together. I would sing the song while practicing the chord changes, then singing while doing the stum patter then putting it all together.

Polly by Nirvana is real easy to sing along with, as is House of the Rising Sun by the Animals.
The first thing to practice is to try and get the words that land on the beat or a chord change in the right place. You can be pretty lax about the words in between but just try and get those anchor points down, and usually it's on a downstrum for easy songs so it's quite easy to practice, just sing that word as you play that chord
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Much appreciated

I guess starting on Foo Fighters - Pretender wasn't such a good idea, haha. But I've taken your tips and over the past couple of days it has started to come to me a bit better.

Quote by adam.summers
The first thing to practice is to try and get the words that land on the beat or a chord change in the right place. You can be pretty lax about the words in between but just try and get those anchor points down, and usually it's on a downstrum for easy songs so it's quite easy to practice, just sing that word as you play that chord

Aye, I've been practicing getting them on the beat and it's starting to all come together. If anyone else has got any good songs to learn while singing then that'd be sweet.
Like others said, practice and starting with easier songs is the way to go.

The first song I could do it to was "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica; it's an easy song, and I knew the music and lyrics without even having to think about them already, so it was an easy transition.

I do wonder what songs Dave Mustaine started out on, because even on "Killing Is My Business..." he's singing and playing a lot of fast and technical guitar stuff (not just riffing on the open low E string like a lot of thrash bands do), that would probably be hard for just about anybody to do.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Really, everyone sucks when they start out trying to sing and play. I certainly did. But now it's an afterthought, it actually feels natural to sing and play at the same time. It took me forever to learn to sing in the first place, but once I did learn, it was good times.

The best thing is to practice songs from bands you like that are easy, then move on and try to write your own.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I'm just learning to sing and play as well, right now I'm doing CCR - Who'll stop the rain, great tune to practice on.

It's all about how the chord changes coincide with the lyrics and whether or not there's good ques like: like every time he sings this word, or hits this high note, or the drummer hits the cymbals it's time to change to this new chord progression.
Last edited by Deaddog at Aug 20, 2010,
I'd practice with basically anything Nirvana and some SOAD songs (Roulette, Lonely Day) or Scars on Broadway. They tend to have easier rhythms to sing along to, but at the same time they all have songs that will challenge you.

It sucks at first, but after a few months it just becomes second nature to multitask with a lot of rhythms. Hell, at this point I find it hard to play guitar without singing.