Quick question, what makes a key natural? Such as (in my case) Natural harmonic minor, etc.. I wouldn't say that I'm a pro at theory, but given a key, I can work with it easily, build chords, do any variations of harmony, etc., but have never understood what makes a key natural.. And before anyone says use the search function, I did, and lurked around the lesson threads, and didn't find an answer.. Thanks in advance, guys.
There's the natural minor scale (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7), harmonic minor scale (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7) and melodic minor scale (1 2 b3 4 5 6 7), but I'm not sure what you're talking about.
I think you're looking a bit too far into it... a natural key is a key that does not borrow notes from another scale.

For example, as blue_strat pointed out, you have the natural minor. Let's look at the A minor scale: A B C D E F G (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7). This is the natural minor because it conforms to the natural pattern of W-H-W-W-H-W-W.

Now, take the natural minor and raise the seventh, and you've altered the scale, effectively making it the harmonic minor -- which is to say, it is no longer natural. The expected whole step (major second) between the 6th and 7th has become a minor third (or a whole step plus a half step).

Most of the time, you won't need to denote whether a key is natural or not. It's usually implied.
Last edited by freakstylez at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by freakstylez
Most of the time, you won't need to denote whether a key is natural or not. It's usually implied.

Yeah, the natural minor scale is really just the minor scale, not the harmonic minor or melodic minor. Don't worry about it
Ah, groovy. I really was just looking at it too hard. Thanks for the info!
Last edited by X V I I at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by X V I I
Ah, I see. So a natural key is just a key in its normal pattern, unaltered?

That it is.

The distinction, as far as I know, exists ONLY because of the three minor keys -- the natural, the harmonic, and the melodic. It's usually a safe bet to say that "A minor" is going to be "A natural minor" -- however, "A harmonic minor" or "A melodic minor" are never just "A minor."

Quote by freakstylez
That it is.

The distinction, as far as I know, exists ONLY because of the three minor keys -- the natural, the harmonic, and the melodic. It's usually a safe bet to say that "A minor" is going to be "A natural minor" -- however, "A harmonic minor" or "A melodic minor" are never just "A minor."

Mmkay. Makes plenty of sense now, so thank you much for clarifying that for me!
Quote by X V I I
Quick question, what makes a key natural? Such as (in my case) Natural harmonic minor, etc.. I wouldn't say that I'm a pro at theory, but given a key, I can work with it easily, build chords, do any variations of harmony, etc., but have never understood what makes a key natural.. And before anyone says use the search function, I did, and lurked around the lesson threads, and didn't find an answer.. Thanks in advance, guys.

If it's the same as a natural note, it's the presence of no #/b

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by that term.

Sean