Posted this in GGA as well.

Ok, so I've known of the icepick for most of my life as an overloaded treble-bomb. But now I'm very confused. I got a hard-maple neck through guitar, which is basically icepick city on its own. but here's the confusing part. My neck humbucker is the sharpest sounding, even sharper sounding than my ceramic magnet 4.3k single coil in the middle position (icepick city, anyone?) or my bridge pickup. It sounds super-bassy, but still has that horrid icepick quality. Another thing I would like to pint out is that the least "icepicky" positions are the 2 and 4 positions on my 5-way selector. My questions are:

1. How come my neck HB is so relatively icepicky, even though it shouldn't be?
2. Why are the 2 and 4 positions brighter, but not icepicky at the same time?
3. How can I get rid of the icepick? Eq pedal?

Sorry for the confusing question and the senseless jumble of words above. I'm trying my hardest to make it clear
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Start tweaking your amps EQ to see if you can get a sound you're happy with. If you can't then by all means throw an EQ pedal in the loop and see what can be done. Beyond that you can try some different pickups (suggest emailing a few different manufacturers and outlining what you want - people on here typically aren't speaking from personal experience when they suggest pickups)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I suggest lowering the settings on your amp to the following: the lows to 8, the highs to 9, and the mids to 4. A lot of that "icepick" noise I think you're referring to comes from the mids.
I forgot to add. I screwed with the eq on my amp, pickup height, and tone control, but with no success
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Aug 18, 2010,
Play around with your amp settings bro....maybe lower the height of ur neck pu to take some of the edge off...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
^I found the optimum height. Any lower and it just gets thinner.
Quote by blackflag49

I don't know what to tell you then man....hmmm...maybe get a different pickup with more bass response..dimarzio has a chart on their site that show output,lows,mids,and high of each pu...I'm sure other brands have similar

What actually is the guitar in question, the pickup, your (usual) amp settings, etc? Hard to tell you what to do if all we have to go on is "argh treble spike, help plox".
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The guitar is a Carvin. Maple neck-through, alder body, 250k pots. The neck pickup is a stock C22J (7.6k, alnico 5). I bought a new bridge pickup, and it's coming soon, so that's not a concern right now. I've been all over the place experimenting with amp (Legacy) settings, comparing it to every EQ knob at noon.
Quote by blackflag49

Wow a legacy amp...good shit

Anyway back to the topic...is it just icepick on the clean channel or overdrive channel?or both?...I've never heard of a neck pickup havin an icepick prob bro...I use all maple necked guitars with single coils and I get a thick low sound even when my highs are over 7-8 .I never set my mids or presence past 5 and I usually always have my lows on 10

Its icepicky on both. And this is a maple neck-through, which means the tone is mostly maple basically. I have a telecaster copy that is a lot warmer than this thing. I may just get a warm pickup and maybe an eq pedal. Any pickup recommendations? I'm looking at an Alnico 2 Pro right now
Quote by blackflag49

An A2P isn't a warm-toned pickup at all. It's got a very transparent tone, so with a maple neck-through guitar, it's going to result in a very bright tone.

Anyhoo, I've never been impressed with Carvin's pickups, so I'm not surprised to hear you're having issues with it. A pickup change really is your best option, since it's not like your amp or the general quality of the guitar is going to be to blame. To balance maple, I'd go for a DiMarzio Breed or Air Zone, depending on just how thick you wanted the neck to get.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
An A2P isn't a warm-toned pickup at all. It's got a very transparent tone, so with a maple neck-through guitar, it's going to result in a very bright tone.

Anyhoo, I've never been impressed with Carvin's pickups, so I'm not surprised to hear you're having issues with it. A pickup change really is your best option, since it's not like your amp or the general quality of the guitar is going to be to blame. To balance maple, I'd go for a DiMarzio Breed or Air Zone, depending on just how thick you wanted the neck to get.

You were the one that recommended me the A2P a long time ago

Is an Air Norton a good option? I think the Air Zone might be too hot (maybe not with Airbucker technology), and I haven't heard many great things about the Breed neck (bridge is a different story)
Quote by blackflag49

Quote by bingeandletgo
You were the one that recommended me the A2P a long time ago
I can't imagine I would have, at least not knowing it would be going into a basically maple guitar. I may have mentioned the A2P Slash model, since that one does have a little more warmth to it.

Is an Air Norton a good option? I think the Air Zone might be too hot (maybe not with Airbucker technology), and I haven't heard many great things about the Breed neck (bridge is a different story)
Well that's why I mentioned the Air Zone, it's so powerful that it's so powerful that if you really wanted to undo the maple vibe entirely then that would be the one for the job. Or again, I'd say the Breed for the neck - been messing around with a Breed Neck model myself recently and am finding it to be quite fabulous, one of the few DiMarzio pickups I would like to use on a regular basis. The Air Norton I don't know about, having never used it. I know someone who's got one though, could ask them or try out their guitar for a bit tomorrow (it's 3am here so I'm sure you'll understand why I'm not goign to pop around there right this minute).
Quote by MrFlibble
I can't imagine I would have, at least not knowing it would be going into a basically maple guitar. I may have mentioned the A2P Slash model, since that one does have a little more warmth to it.

That was the one

Well that's why I mentioned the Air Zone, it's so powerful that it's so powerful that if you really wanted to undo the maple vibe entirely then that would be the one for the job. Or again, I'd say the Breed for the neck - been messing around with a Breed Neck model myself recently and am finding it to be quite fabulous, one of the few DiMarzio pickups I would like to use on a regular basis. The Air Norton I don't know about, having never used it. I know someone who's got one though, could ask them or try out their guitar for a bit tomorrow (it's 3am here so I'm sure you'll understand why I'm not goign to pop around there right this minute).

That would be great actually! One question though, does the breed neck get muddy with distortion?
Quote by blackflag49