Page 1 of 2
The vent that goes between your winshield and your car hood, what would this thing be called??? It goes over the wiper motor and the arms usually come up through this vent. Mine disintegrated today and I need to get a new one, but don't even know what to call this vent Any idea?
Hood vent.
Unless you're British.
If that's the case order a fucking Zed.

How the hell do you break that part and nothing else?????????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It disintegrated? How the hell did that happen?
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by Jackal58
Hood vent.
Unless you're British.
If that's the case order a fucking Zed.

How the hell do you break that part and nothing else?????????

Lol, hood.

That's nearly as bad as trunk
It was plastic and I was being genlty as hell with it, then all the sudden as it started to break loose...it just crumbled...I thought "no big deal just a little blemish, the rest will be fine....and one by one as i popped all the clips off it crumbled...so i threw it away lol
Quote by sam b
Lol, hood.

That's nearly as bad as trunk

Go ahead then. Try to justify "Bonnet and boot".
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

Obviously so we can have car-boot sales. Can't call them car-trunk sales; that would sound stupid. <_<

..seriously though I dunno why its called a boot. Bonnet makes about as much sense as hood though.
How in the hell did it ''disintegrate''. If by ''disintegrate'' you mean break (and not the opposite of integration or formation of a certain substance) then that's the most random thing to have ''disintegrated''. You'd expect something like your bumper get ''disintegrated'' in a crash with a 18-wheeler or your tire was ''disintegrated'' after it spontaneously exploded into a million pieces after being overpumped.

Really, I need to know. How does one do this. I won't able to sleep if I don't know. I'll just stay up thinking about it, rocking back and forth mumbling things that don't make sense while slowly slipping into the deep abyss of insanity.
Quote by Jackal58

Bonnet and boot are correct because they're British and Americanisms are sh*t. TS should have said 'The vent between the bonnet and the windscreen.'
it is not ON the hood...it is above the hood, below the windshield....I search hood vents and I get all this gay after market stuff. Think of it as the bridgeway between the winshield and the hood....
Quote by zxxAACxxz
Cowell Cover?

Edit: Cowl

This. On most cars its primary function is to allow an inlet of air to the cabin air filter. Or at least on the cars I've worked on.
I think its called a cowl vent cover.
Quote by metalblaster
How in the hell did it ''disintegrate''. If by ''disintegrate'' you mean break (and not the opposite of integration or formation of a certain substance) then that's the most random thing to have ''disintegrated''. You'd expect something like your bumper get ''disintegrated'' in a crash with a 18-wheeler or your tire was ''disintegrated'' after it spontaneously exploded into a million pieces after being overpumped.

Really, I need to know. How does one do this. I won't able to sleep if I don't know. I'll just stay up thinking about it, rocking back and forth mumbling things that don't make sense while slowly slipping into the deep abyss of insanity.

i was taking it off and it was crumbling like paper....it is 13 year old chinese plastic that has been beat down by the sun...and my car is a Dodge...so therefore you know it is automatically crap. That is how
Quote by Tom 1.0
scuttle tray

this.

guessing it has rusted away...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by TEK34
Bonnet and boot are correct because they're British and Americanisms are sh*t. TS should have said 'The vent between the bonnet and the windscreen.'

Henry Ford would love to put his boot to your bonnet.

HOW THE FUCK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DID YOU FUCKING "DISINTEGRATE" THIS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by TEK34

Absolutely ridiculous.
Quote by PattyCakes
i was taking it off and it was crumbling like paper....it is 13 year old chinese plastic that has been beat down by the sun...and my car is a Dodge...so therefore you know it is automatically crap. That is how

Well then buy a can of spray paint, Go to the post office and get a free box and make one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by X V I I
This. On most cars its primary function is to allow an inlet of air to the cabin air filter. Or at least on the cars I've worked on.

No sir. Its to allow air to pass through the radiator.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by PattyCakes

You have enlightened me. Thanks for letting me sleep.
Quote by Jackal58

What the hell is a bonnet.

I don't think I've ever used that word.
I think it is the Cowl vent cover...presumably.

And wow, if it is to let air pass through the radiator, that seems a bit far fetched since there is a seal that pretty much blocks off the hood area from this vent...and very little air will get in that way...however to allow air into the cab sounds logical
What's wrong with bonnet and boot?

And isn't it the air outlet so that air flows properly through the radiator? I dunno what the real term is.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by PattyCakes
I think it is the Cowl vent cover...presumably.

And wow, if it is to let air pass through the radiator, that seems a bit far fetched since there is a seal that pretty much blocks off the hood area from this vent...and very little air will get in that way...however to allow air into the cab sounds logical

That's a baffle. It directs air up from the engine compartment to aid in cooling. If you take the time to look at it you'll see it's not sealed. And you got a great view right now.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
No sir. Its to allow air to pass through the radiator.

I sincerely hope you're joking in this regard.. On a typical vehicle with a front mounted powerplant, the openings in the grille are what are used to allow airflow to pass through the radiator. The radiator in 99.9997% of production vehicles is mounted in front of the motor, to aid in cooling of the flow of coolant by heat displacement. It would be absolutely illogical to use the cowl for cooling of the radiator, as it has much less area to allow airflow, and would require running coolant hoses from the radiator to right in front of the firewall. Which would be retarded either way..
Quote by MakinLattes
wait.

bonnet and boot?

really?

I'm sorry, but what was the language called again?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by MakinLattes
wait.

bonnet and boot?

really?

You that language you speak called ENGLISH, well the ENGLISH words for 'hood' and 'trunk' are 'bonnet' and 'boot', respectively.
Quote by X V I I
I sincerely hope you're joking in this regard.. On a typical vehicle with a front mounted powerplant, the openings in the grille are what are used to allow airflow to pass through the radiator. The radiator in 99.9997% of production vehicles is mounted in front of the motor, to aid in cooling of the flow of coolant by heat displacement. It would be absolutely illogical to use the cowl for cooling of the radiator, as it has much less area to allow airflow, and would require running coolant hoses from the radiator to right in front of the firewall. Which would be retarded either way..

Its not so that cool air flows in, its so hot air has a place to flow out. And also so the engine bay doesn't flood with water every time it rains and your engine rusts out.

OT:I have no fucking idea, TS. Go to AutoZone and ask them.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by TEK34

Remind me who invented cars again?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by TEK34
You that language you speak called ENGLISH, well the ENGLISH words for 'hood' and 'trunk' are 'bonnet' and 'boot', respectively.

Quote by RockGuitar92

Was hoping nobody would bring that up
Quote by X V I I

And where exactly does that air go?

Quote by RockGuitar92

A Frenchman.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by RockGuitar92

The Germans.

EDIT: ^ Note the American who brought the subject of language up.
Last edited by TEK34 at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by doomded
Its not so that cool air flows in, its so hot air has a place to flow out. And also so the engine bay doesn't flood with water every time it rains and your engine rusts out.

OT:I have no fucking idea, TS. Go to AutoZone and ask them.

Correct, which is what the air intake is for, is to bring in cold(er) air into the actual motor for combustion purposes. The radiator is also known to older techs as a heat exchanger, because that's what it does, it exchanges heat by the moving vehicle coming into contact with (mostly) stationary air, essentially forcing heat off of the cooling fins, and allowing more heat to radiate through the said fins, cooling the fluid as it cycles through the radiator, motor, and heater core. But a cowl for radiator cooling purposes? MAYBE on a mid or rear mounted engine, but still would be a highly ineffective design.
Quote by Dirge Humani
All Americans are ignorant. Fuck you and your language, constantly needing corrected.

I agree

If either TEK34 or Jackal are right, then FUCK YOU ALL, I'M STILL RIGHT!
Last edited by asator at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58
And where exactly does that air go?

The heated air from the radiator or from the cowl?

The heat that comes off of the radiator is pushed into the engine bay, and with enough air passing through the grille, through the radiator, and then into the engine bay, and when there is enough pressure in the engine bay, the heated air has nowhere to go, seeing as it can't pass through the hood (unless a hood isn't present or is made of mesh or something, which I have seen, however rarely), it is then pushed under the vehicle, or if you don't have fender wells, even around the tires on occasion.

The airflow from the cowl first passes through the cabin (HEPA) filter, then through a series of mode doors which will change the direction of the airflow to route it through the heater core (essentially a small radiator ran off in input coolant line and output coolant line), which heats the air then passes it into the cabin for heating, or pushes it though the evaporator, which cools and humidifies the air to give you cold air into the cabin, or activates yet another mode door that bypasses both the heater core and evaporator, introducing filtered, roughly ambient temperature air.
Page 1 of 2