Hi, my bassist is now playing drums, cos we found another bassist. Anyway, he's a good drummer, but he play way too many fills, we want sort of like Steven Adler style drumming, where there's fills like before choruses and end of solos and stuff, but with this guy, he'll do a drum fill at like the end of evey vocal line, how can we tell him to calm down the fills without him wanting to leave cos of more simple drum parts or something?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
maybe just tell him to do a drum fill each two repeats of each riff or sth, dunno man, or tell him to do larger fills but not so many, anyways, good luck
And you can ask him to calm them down a bit, if hes ok for it, then good. If not, then hes not the right drummer.

You have to remember, even if it sounds is good, your drummer might be bored playing it. Making it utterly pointless. Making music should be fun.

EDIT: My bad. Though you were mixing up LoGs Adler bros. But of course thats Willie Adler, hur dur.
Last edited by Deece at Aug 18, 2010,
Record yourself playing so he can hear how annoying fills are after every two bars.
Try just telling him to cut back on the fills. If he's not a prick then he'll listen to what you're saying, consider it, and either agree with you and change his ways or respectfully disagree. In which case it should be a closed case cuz there really is no reason for fills after a each line.
It's a beginner musician problem - too focused on showing off than furthering the music. A simple way to fix this is to have one or two songs where he does get to show off - you could even promote the song before it starts ("marvel at the awesome drumming of Mr X!"), and tell him that's his time to shine, but for the other songs can you keep the fills down a notch. Usually that works.

It should be noted that this problem isn't just limited to drums, all the instruments can do it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's a beginner musician problem - too focused on showing off than furthering the music. A simple way to fix this is to have one or two songs where he does get to show off

Exactly. And usually beginner to intermediate drummers aren't good or varied enough to pull off the 'non stop fill' style.

This style can actually work well even with fairly light music (listen to 'Going Mobile' by The Who for a great example), but your drummer has to be amazing to pull it off without sounding dreadful.

Maybe do a song where the intro is a short drum solo, and 'big endings' for your songs, so he can let off steam without compromising the groove.
Listen to some Keith Moon, specifically the Who song "going mobile"

there are fills during the vocal line!

as long as it sounds good, let it be

if it sounds ****, it is ****
Quote by NoOne0507
Record yourself playing so he can hear how annoying fills are after every two bars.

As a drummer, I think this is by far the best advice in this thread. And if this guy is anything like me, it will be far more effective than just telling him his fills don't sound good.
Quote by AlanHB
It's a beginner musician problem - too focused on showing off than furthering the music. A simple way to fix this is to have one or two songs where he does get to show off - you could even promote the song before it starts ("marvel at the awesome drumming of Mr X!"), and tell him that's his time to shine, but for the other songs can you keep the fills down a notch. Usually that works.

It should be noted that this problem isn't just limited to drums, all the instruments can do it.

I'd go with something like this. Maybe give him a solo or 2 during the set.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
My bands old drummer had that problem. Literally after every verse line he'd do the SAME fill and often times it was out of time. It sounded like ass.

First we tried talking to him about it over drinks. We explained (nicely) that we thought it would add more to the songs if he kept a driving beat going and added a bad-ass fill in certain areas. That worked for all of 10min next practice.

Then we recorded a song with all the fills and had him listen to it. Unfortunatly he was the only one that DIDN'T hear a problem.

Lastly we tried to organize our set list with a sizable drum solo to see if that would chill the fills. Nope. Then we had over filled songs AND a drum solo.

We ended up canning him later on for other reasons.

You should try to talk to your drummer first. Explain to him that you don't have to show off with fills every measure to be a good drummer. And not only that, alot of the time excessive fills don't add anything to the song. Definitely record the songs and let him hear it. Maybe even compare it to songs by artists you are influenced by. The drumming style that is. If he is even slightly interested in becoming a better musician, he'll take your concerns as constructive criticism and try to improve.

But, if he ignores your pleas of concern for the music like our old drummer did, he probably wont work out in the long run.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by inplaneview at Aug 22, 2010,
Just tell him to do it... it can't be that hard. Musician to musician. A lot of the time a musician won't be able to recognise when they're going wrong and need someone else to point it out. He can't be that unreasonable.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
He's just inexperienced. And because of that, he probably won't listen to you... Not for very long anyway. I don't mean that he's arrogant - he's just playing what he thinks sounds good. Get a new drummer. Or give him time to become what the band needs. Same as with every instrument, someone who's a technically a decent or great drummer isn't necessarily a good musician.
GEAR
'92 Mesa Mark IV
Rivera Knucklehead II
Ibanez ART300
Washburn X50PROFE
Ibanez AEG20E
Martin DXK2
That's one of the worst and most annoying signs of amateurism. Tell him immediately cos it ain't gonna get any better
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Have your guitarist go off the deepend with riffs and fills during your next practice. Guitarists have the same probs too - overplaying.

Seriously, though. Just give honest feedback, record the session, and let him know that you understand and appreciate the enthusiasm, but sometimes less is more.

Let someone outside the band listen to a recording and give "amnesty for honesty".
I had this problem with bass. I used to just improv fills all the time, and it muddied up the sound. Not that I cared, I was having fun.

Eventually, our singer told me I needed to stop. I asked why, and he said that it was a) messing up the drummer, b) was distracting and c) as much as it hurts, you're a bass player. Play bass, not lead guitar.

Show him Just a Girl by No Doubt. Perfect example of playing in the pocket, keeping fills down to a minimum.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I had the same problem with my drummer a couple years ago. He's a really talented kettle banger, and he was getting bored with the more simple drum line we were playing. Anyway, long story short, the problem was adressed when we played in a battle of the bands. After our set, the only comment one of the judges had was "Drummer, you are BUSY!"

And that was that, he sorted himself out.

In all honesty, as long as he's not a completely self absorbed Douche Bag, you should be able to simply go to him and ask him to tone down the fills.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage