I've been playing guitar for quite some time now but I always play sitting down, but I find it harder to play standing up, is this normal? The only way I could play the same is if I put the guitar all the way up to my chest and that doesn't look good. I want to be able to play with the guitar at my waste level but it's not comfortable and I have to stretch too much to reach the low frets, how can other people do it?
Yep, just stand up and practise playing the songs you can play really well while you're sitting down
All you can do to get more comfortable is to practice. Start at the chest and ease your way down to the waist if that's where your target is. It's really not as hard as you think.
How? The same way they can do all the other techniques with guitar: practice.

Playing while standing up isn't that hard. Just do it for a while and you'll get used to it in no time.

You can try adjusting the strap and putting the guitar higher up. It's not necessary to put it at a certain level. Just play in a way that makes you feel comfortable.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
I found that I could play reasonably well standing up by around the time I could play up and down the fretboard without looking at my hands or the guitar.

That's not to say I can play perfectly like that, but I've developed a good feel for the instrument... and once I stood up and started playing, it felt natural.
Quote by freakstylez
I found that I could play reasonably well standing up by around the time I could play up and down the fretboard without looking at my hands or the guitar.

That's not to say I can play perfectly like that, but I've developed a good feel for the instrument... and once I stood up and started playing, it felt natural.

...What's your point? Do you like to talk about yourself?
i guess im one of those few people that dont give shit about looks haha. i play with my guitar high as heck. some people say something about it, but i shut most people up when i play. im not the best but im pretty good. wear that strap high and proud my friend!!!

besides. some of the best guitar players wear there guitars up pretty high.
Classical Guitarist
It was weird for me at first too. I just started walking around playing my acoustic, and after a while it was easy to do.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
well, if you are playing a Les Paul you need to start practicing standing up playing... it will hurt... having a 7 pound guitar on your back
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350
Vietnamese Made - Duy Ngọc Acoustic Guitar

Soon my gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
i play better standing. kinda frees me up a bit and i have more room to move around the guitar, i also get way less of a sore arm playing thrashy stuff with my picking arm more extended when standing up as opposed to rather bent whilst sitting
I've always been just as comfortable standing up as I am sitting down

But I guess practice is the way to improve at most things in music, and life for that matter.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I'm in the smae boat, normally just play sitting down but decided to play standing yesterday and I have to have it up to my chest, Tom Morello style. Hopefully I get more comfortable and can lower it.
YNWA
It seems weird to me that people find wearing their guitar up that high comfortable.

I've put on other people's guitars that were up that high and I thought it was the absolute worst; a big part of playing guitar is about being comfortable and it wasn't comfortable in the least. Where I have my guitar now, it's like a natural extension of my body and I don't even think about it being there when I'm playing. When I tried playing up high, all I could think about was a big plank of wood on my chest and how awkward it was.

Anyway, on topic--you just do it.
You want to play standing up, then stand up.
It's not rocket science.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Just stand up and play your guitar. If your guitar is in a position that doesn't allow you to play, then move it so you can.
Yeah it's only natural that you find it awkward.

Get into standing positions where you're more comfortable (and this'll also improve your stage presence). E.g. Power stance, bringing the guitar 45 degrees or even 90 degrees up whilst playing something etc.

And as always all we can really say is... practise.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
It is always harder for me to play standing up, so I usually practice while sitting down. Of course, on stage, I have never played while sitting down. The hard part is when the strap falls off in the middle of the lead.

I have never found a way around this completely, unfortunately. I think it is pretty normal for most guitar players to practice sitting down.
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Aug 19, 2010,
It seems weird to me that people find wearing their guitar up that high comfortable.

++

Anything higher then my belt buckle (not that I wear a belt buckle...) makes it hard to strum, however I had to start up high when I started trying to play standing up because I couldn't get my fretting hand wrist bent right. I slowly moved the guitar down until I ran out of strap but was comfortable with the positioning on my wrist. I need to get a longer strap because even with the guitar sitting at my waist it still feels a little high, maybe my arms are just too long...
Tbh, I think you'll just have to get used to it. When I first started playing, I couldn't stand up, cos it made my fingers feel awkward, but try adjusting your strap a little, also the way you hold your guitar, for me, I hold my guitar norally for chords, but for higher up soloing, I tilt it so it is pointing almost straight up.

Like this.

It might just take you a while to get comfortable.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Tom Morello looks good with it close to his chest, and sounds amazing!

You just need to practice more, it's pretty obvious that if you practice sitting down you'll be better at playing while sitting. I find that sitting down while learning a new technique or song is good, but standing up while playing a song, or jamming over a beat is best.

You've got to think of the end goal... are you going to be sitting down when you put all this hard work and practice to use?
I originally learned classical guitar and the transition to standing wasn't easy. At first it seemed like I was a newbie again.

As for position... when standing try and play the guitar as high as comfortable. This gives much more control of the fret board. Easy experiment...try fretting a few chords and then lower or raise the neck...much easier to reach notes the higher the neck....also much better for posture and endurance.

In fact, when I sit with an electric, I often still use a classical position if there are a lot of single note riffs...way easier and faster the closer the eyes are to the fingers. Some classical guitarists when doing intricate pieces almost have their nose touching the neck.
Quote by Funk Monk

...What's your point? Do you like to talk about yourself?

Sharing experience, jack ass. As if to say, if you haven't reached that point, maybe wait until you have and see if it doesn't make a difference -- as it did for me.

What's YOUR point? That you have nothing better to do but start arguments on the internet?

Lawlz.
Quote by Captain_GNU
The hard part is when the strap falls off in the middle of the lead.

Strap-Locks, bro.

Quote by Captain_GNU
I have never found a way around this completely, unfortunately. I think it is pretty normal for most guitar players to practice sitting down.

The way around it is to practice standing up all the time; I rarely practice sitting down.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
hey one thing i notice when i first started playing guitar is make sure your not sitting at a angle so that the guitar is lower then you knees because that will make it harder to play standing up
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by adam.summers
Tom Morello looks good with it close to his chest, and sounds amazing!

You just need to practice more, it's pretty obvious that if you practice sitting down you'll be better at playing while sitting. I find that sitting down while learning a new technique or song is good, but standing up while playing a song, or jamming over a beat is best.

You've got to think of the end goal... are you going to be sitting down when you put all this hard work and practice to use?

I find it much easier to get in the groove standin up. Maybe just move my body around a bit more, cant tap my foot when im sittin, it screws me over

But anyway, I agree with most other people here. Put the guitar as high as you need to, screw anyone who laughs at you. Lower it every now and then as you become more comfortable

All the best
its definitely normal for it to be hard the first few times you stand playing up, or at least thats how it was for me. you just gotta keep doing it and getting comfortable with it and eventually you'll be playin great standing up with that guitar down at your knees like jimmy page...lol
Quote by NIN1993
hey one thing i notice when i first started playing guitar is make sure your not sitting at a angle so that the guitar is lower then you knees because that will make it harder to play standing up

That is funny. Is that even possible?

I practice reclined, it's comfortable for hours and basically the same posture as standing but using no energy.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 20, 2010,
I usually sit while I'm learning a New song or riff and then stand up to play once I have it figured out. I'm still at the stage where I have to watch my fretting hand most of the time so I also keep the guitar pretty high up.

And definately 2 thumbs up for Straplock's.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by Tempoe
That is funny. Is that even possible?

I practice reclined, it's comfortable for hours and basically the same posture as standing but using no energy.

well what i meant was i use to sit on my couch when i would play and my butt would sink into the couch so i was at a slant
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz