so i just looked at these:http://www.mackamps.com/products-Heatseeker-HS18/

and listened to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBsRzB7XV8

sounds great. but its 18 watts, 1 12ax7, 1 phase inverter tube, and 1 el84. 18 watts.

it sounds GREAT. HOWEVER, how can you play at gig levels with this and use pedals? maybe if thats the sound you want fine. but if you throw a tubescreaer on this thing wont it clip beyond belief?

i know my bugera is 22 watts, and if i play over a drum kit those tubes are cooking. i overdrive it. if i throw my distortion pedal or boost pedal on with the wrong settings i can get it o clip REAL hard (if i turn the gain on my boss up too high). even then on clean its still overdriven.

so with this amp how you you ever play clean at gig levels? how could you ever use any form of volume/gain pedal at live levels? when is a tube amp too small?
Cleans at 18 watt @ gig levels will be VERY hairy. If you like that, go for it.

I gigged with a Rocker 30 for a while and could get cleans, but they were NOT sparkly.
I used a 5 watt Blackheart gigging and it was just fine.. If the drums are too loud, tell him to use better technique. =p After all, if you're gigging and your amp has a mic in front of it, you don't need to be loud. Lower stage volume makes it easier to play. Making things loud through the PA system is your sound mans job, not the bands.
To answer your question in the thread title:
http://media1.zvex.com/nano.mov

when it's smaller than this.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
when you can drop an amplifier and have trouble finding it in the carpet. that when i have problems with tube amps being too small.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by ryantombasco
After all, if you're gigging and your amp has a mic in front of it, you don't need to be loud. Lower stage volume makes it easier to play. Making things loud through the PA system is your sound mans job, not the bands.

Right on..and if there's no designated "sound man" be the guitarist/soundman just put the board by on your side and use a wireless to walk out off stage and see what's up...I've had to do that before...it sucks but sometimes its the only way to get your sound where you want it
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by ryantombasco
I used a 5 watt Blackheart gigging and it was just fine..

+1

My guitarist uses a 5 watt blackstar micro stack and he can be heard without even mic'ing him most of the time
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Quote by mrsixstrings12
+1

My guitarist uses a 5 watt blackstar micro stack and he can be heard without even mic'ing him most of the time

But he can't get anything resembling a nice clean.
Quote by ryantombasco
I used a 5 watt Blackheart gigging and it was just fine.. If the drums are too loud, tell him to use better technique. =p After all, if you're gigging and your amp has a mic in front of it, you don't need to be loud. Lower stage volume makes it easier to play. Making things loud through the PA system is your sound mans job, not the bands.

^I agree with this guy. I think it would be tough to gig with a 5 wattr but here is the rub. If you have lower wattage amp it is usually because you are playing with a lot of low gain cranked - so think blues and classic rock tones. If that is the case and your drummer is playing too loud then there is a good chance he is not playing as a team member and would rather kill his drum heads. No?

And yeah, let the PA/sound guy figure it out.

I was actually able to get some semi usable clean tones with my 1 wattr. Still wouldn't want to gig with it but I'm more of a hardcore and metal guy.

Quote by drewfromutah
But he can't get anything resembling a nice clean.

Probably because his band is too loud and he HAS to push his amp and he's getting overdrive out of it. =p I'll agree with the guy who agreed with me.. Everyone needs to be a team player. It's like any sport.. You have to work together.. And that means as far as volume as well.
psh... cleans are for wussies and women

if you still have problems getting cleans while mic'd then a gentle reminder to your band mates that this isn't a competition to see who can get the worst tinnitus the fastest should help
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
yeah dude, i've toured with a 5 watter, and my volume never goes to more than 1/3 or 1/2 at most. my cleans are fine. if your stage volume is so high that you can't, thats an issue that needs to be fixed.
A very famous song writer singer guitar player named Neil Young to this day uses a 15 watt Fender Deluxe tube amp onstage at ARENA gigs with 10 to 20000 plus fans. Yeah he mics it into a power amp into a huge Magnatone cab then again into the PA. The point is if you do it right it does not matter how small the amp is it's the tone you get out of it. That's what she said.
Low wattage tube amps have a specific market niche. If you want flawless cleans at levels that can be heard un-miced above a driver? You are not in that market niche.

If you are like me, though, you are in that niche. Getting a flawless, sparkly clean isn't my thing. I like my clean tones to have a bit of organic "grit" to them. And I like power tube overdrive. And I like these things below 140 decibels, but still pretty damn loud. I, therefore, am in that market niche. Hence, I own a Vox AC4TV.

They're never "too small;" it just depends on what you want and expect out of it.
I'm going to agree and say that having a mic to your amp is the best bet for gigging.

The HT-5 is loud enough from what I've heard.
A tube amp is too small when you have no use for it.
that's it. if you want low wattage cleans, get a silverface fender champ. those priced 250-400 and IMO sound better than most low wattage amps currently in production.
Quote by ryantombasco
Probably because his band is too loud and he HAS to push his amp and he's getting overdrive out of it. =p I'll agree with the guy who agreed with me.. Everyone needs to be a team player. It's like any sport.. You have to work together.. And that means as far as volume as well.

No, sometimes you need loud powerful drums, a 1watt amp won't have the stage volume to get past drums and it certainly won't be clean.
well if your a pro guitarist you have the people and money to do anything.

and i do know a lot of bands that go un-miced, and 50% of the time you get a place with a whack ass PA system because bar owners dont know a darn thing about them except it was set up 1 time 10 years ago.

very true. using the PA for overall volume will allow a lower amp volume and less overdrive. however, do people find that too low a wattage makes it harder to take pedals? especially any kind of overdrive/disotrtion?

i find that my v22 takes by boss distortion WAY WAY better with the master up and the channel down that in reverse (channel up and master down). the same happens when i switch it to triode mode (about 13 watts instead of 22).

im guessing its because of less headroom (or the master is lower so less avialable head room at that setting) to handle the gain and it clips to hard earlier. with the master up to like 7-8 it comes through FAR clearer.

i would imagine the same would be true if you ran a small wattage amp and tried to pump some high gain FX through them.
The most important thing is when u do soundcheck is to make sure the mix sounds like ur listening to a recording...you know how loud ur drummer plays so compensate for that with his mic levels....I have the opposite problem...I put the master on my marshall on 3.5-4 and it drowns everyone out so we mic the drums too and get a good mix
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think