I just returned from Greece last week and I bought a bouzouki. I'm having some trouble figuring out the chords. Does anyone have advice on how to play the bouzouki or know of any good websites that help with chords and scales?

Thanks
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
.............The bloody hell is that?

Quote by Greendayfan16

cool story bra.................somebody doesn't like Christianity, who woulda thought?

Quote by NickGiovanni
Lol, This is Sig worthy my friend, Kudos to you and your wise-ass-ness
After a quick google search I found out that there are a few different types of bouzouki, the most common of which is tuned to Dd aa dd. If you need more specific help, I can explain to you how to construct chords or whatever.

Actually, nevermind. You can figure that out by yourself. It's exactly the same (except an octave up) as the bottom three strings of a guitar tuned to drop D.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 18, 2010,
haha very funny, Tominator.
Ok so my bouzouki is the 4 string one, so it is tuned to C-F-A-D. Does anyone happen to know a good website that helps with scales? I don't even know scales for guitar ahh, and I can figure them out easy, but I feel that if I use a website it would help more. I've googled it but I can't seem to find anything that helps.
Quote by greekguitarist3
haha very funny, Tominator.
Ok so my bouzouki is the 4 string one, so it is tuned to C-F-A-D. Does anyone happen to know a good website that helps with scales? I don't even know scales for guitar ahh, and I can figure them out easy, but I feel that if I use a website it would help more. I've googled it but I can't seem to find anything that helps.

I assume each fret is a semitone similar to a guitar? If you know some basic theory you can work out the shapes yourself - other than that maybe youtube?
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by greekguitarist3
so it is tuned to C-F-A-D.
The shapes will be exactly the same as on the top four strings of a guitar (it's down a whole step from D G B E).

I suggest you learn the notes of the fretboard, or at least how to find them out. It's very simple.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
There are several different instruments in that family. The Greek version has a rather long scale, and most of the ones I've seen have a magnetic pickup installed.
The "Irish" bouzouki is more in the line of the mandolin family; a bit larger than a mandola.

All have four courses of paired strings and the frets are in 1/2 tones just like a guitar. Tunings vary...
We used to have a very accomplished bouzouki player at our favorite club; he could play traditional Greek music or he could sit in with other players and churn out nice lead lines.
Thank you so much! That's all helpful, looks like I'll just have to get the scales and the rest is similar to the guitar so that should be fairly easy.